Suggestions for speaker 2.1

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

monte

Suggestions for speaker 2.1

Post by monte » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:59 am

I'll buy at the end of the year (or before) a set of speakers 2.1 to my room, as it'isnt very big and live in apartment i decided to opt for 2.1 system(Klipsch, Creative, Altec Lansing, Edifier, Logitech etc).
I imagine that the best package on the market today is the Razer Mako, but it is very expensive (around U$ $ 300). I ask for you guys to indication of 2 to 3 alternatives for a good set for games, watching movies on TV(DVDs :lol: or movies in PC) , listening to music, etc. I do not look one that only provides a good volume, because as said previously i live in apartment, but a optimal distribution of sounds and the quality of them(with a good bass for movies :D ), without noise.

Thank you for your attention and waiting replies :roll:

JoeWPgh
Friend of SPCR

Re: Suggestions for speaker 2.1

Post by JoeWPgh » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:20 pm

If you can find them, the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 are very nice. They're a little on the pricey side for computer speakers (+/- $170), but mine are the best sounding thing I have ever heard that connects with an 1/8" stereo jack.
monte wrote:I'll buy at the end of the year (or before) a set of speakers 2.1 to my room, as it'isnt very big and live in apartment i decided to opt for 2.1 system(Klipsch, Creative, Altec Lansing, Edifier, Logitech etc).
I imagine that the best package on the market today is the Razer Mako, but it is very expensive (around U$ $ 300). I ask for you guys to indication of 2 to 3 alternatives for a good set for games, watching movies on TV(DVDs :lol: or movies in PC) , listening to music, etc. I do not look one that only provides a good volume, because as said previously i live in apartment, but a optimal distribution of sounds and the quality of them(with a good bass for movies :D ), without noise.

Thank you for your attention and waiting replies :roll:

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:36 pm

I'll second the Klipsch speakers. I upgraded from Altec Lansing ATP3's (which I still use at work now - 6 years and still going!) and the difference was incredible.

Yes, they're slightly pricy, but well worth it if you're looking for quality.

Qu!cK

Post by Qu!cK » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:24 pm

Logitech Z-2300 with a X-FI sound cards work very well. :D

tehcrazybob
Friend of SPCR

Post by tehcrazybob » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:12 pm

With a budget like that, I'd strongly recommend you not buy computer speakers. The 2.1 systems typically sold for computer use are less than ideal - the satellites are generally of only moderate quality, and the subwoofer is therefore being asked to pick up some fairly high frequencies which should be handled by the main speakers. At $300, you start to get away from this effect, but you're not necessarily getting good value for money.

When you've got a budget like that, you might want to look at good-quality bookshelf speakers and ignore the subwoofer altogether. There are a few compelling choices with integrated amplifiers, such as the AudioEngine A2 set reviewed by SPCR. However, you could also buy a small standalone amplifier (I have one of these, and have been very pleased with it), and use pretty much any bookshelf speaker on the market.

If you go with bookshelf speakers, you might not get quite the bass kick you would from a 2.1 system, but you're likely to end up with much higher sound quality and much smoother frequency response. You should also find very respectable bass - good bookshelf speakers often have -3db response down into fairly low two-digit frequencies. The sub bundled with a 2.1 set would play a few key frequencies much more strongly, but actually not play over nearly as wide a range.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:32 am

Klipsch are good. I got mine Logitech Z3 series and paid less than 120 USD's and they have been simply best speakers I had. However with 300$ I'd probably look something from Klipch, Yamo etc...

Many regular speakers work for PC's aswell so it really doesn't need to be PC speakers aslong it has right kind 3,5mm audio plug.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:43 am

People will probably want to hurt me, but I'm pretty happy with my Creative Gigaworks T20 speakers. They are only 2.0, mind you.

Do you people really hear such a huge difference to "higher quality" speakers and external amplifiers?

Matija

Post by Matija » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:06 am

Do you people really hear such a huge difference to "higher quality" speakers and external amplifiers?
You'd hear it as well. Hell, even my half-deaf father would.

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:55 am

Cistron wrote: Do you people really hear such a huge difference to "higher quality" speakers and external amplifiers?
YES! No doubt about it.

I run digital out from the pc to a Pioneer VSX-1015 amplifier that feeds a set of Tannoy Sensys DC1's, and with a DIY subwoofer hooked up aswell, via a 250W mono amplifier, the sound is very, very good.

There is NO way you can compare pc speakers to a good set of bookshelf speakers, the difference is huge.

My rig cost about $3000, you dont need to go anywhere near that high to notice the difference from pc-speakers. I'd try to find a pair of used bookshelf speakers with a 6.5" bass/midrange + 1" dome tweeter, and a decent stereo amplifier, 2x50W should be more than enough.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:25 am

Wibla wrote:I'd try to find a pair of used bookshelf speakers with a 6.5" bass/midrange + 1" dome tweeter, and a decent stereo amplifier, 2x50W should be more than enough.
My current speakers only have 28W and I could annoy the neighbours endlessly. I'll give it a read. Gosh, seems like I've found a new hole to pour money into ;)

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:15 pm

Hi, I'm using a set of Logitech Z-4s on my TV, cost ~50 GBP / 70USD. The sound quality is way better than the integrated TV speakers and I'm pretty happy with them apart from one small niggle. The only audio out on my TV is a line out so the volume has to be adjusted on the volume control of the Z-4s themselves. As this comes off the sub intended to be under the desk the cord is only 4-5 feet long which isn't very handy in my living room!
It maybe worth considering a 2nd user system from someone has got the "audiophile" bug and upgraded to something more expensive.
Regards, Seb

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:20 pm

I'll give a nod again to the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 system.

I have them hooked up to an Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 audio card. There is a huge difference between this setup and either keeping the Promedia and using integrated sound, or using the X-Plosion and using a higher-end Creative system I have lying around (forgot the model number).

The only two qualms I have about the speaker system are:

1. After a few months' use, the volume knob becomes a little funky at lower volume levels. At any certain setting, the sound level will be uneven between the two speakers and you'll hear "static" when changing the volume level. To mitigate this, I usually turn down the output volume from my PC and keep the volume knob on the actual unit higher than I normally would. This works fine, but it is a bit of an annoyance.

2. These speakers have a directional "sweet spot" for optimal audio reproduction. Basically, the speakers have to be pointed directly at you. If you move around, you'll still get great sound, but some of the high trebels will go away.

Other than those two points, I love my Klipsch speakers.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:20 am

Sorry for hijacking: A "Sony TA ­ FE 570 stereo amplifier" was offered for £40 at our Institute. Now stereo implies ... well only support for stereo sound, right?

kittle
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by kittle » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:56 pm

Cistron wrote:... Gosh, seems like I've found a new hole to pour money into ;)
heh - welcome to the audiophile world =)

Seriously though... go find a local mid to high end audio shop, bring a CD of your own and listen to some of their stuff. If their $5k, $10k systems sound HUGELY better than yours, you will hear the difference in getting a good pair of bookshelf speakers -- and im sure the audio shop can sell or reccomend some good ones for you.

On the other hand... if you cant tell the difference between what you have now and the ultra-expensive stuff, then getting a set of low to mid-priced computer speakers will suit you just as well and save you thousands in the end.

as for your last post - a "stereo amplifier" implies only 2 channel sound. but take a closer look at the connectors available on it. My old kenwood "stereo amplifier" did 5.1 surround quite nicely.

Greg F.

Post by Greg F. » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:35 pm

Cistron wrote:
Wibla wrote:I'd try to find a pair of used bookshelf speakers with a 6.5" bass/midrange + 1" dome tweeter, and a decent stereo amplifier, 2x50W should be more than enough.
My current speakers only have 28W and I could annoy the neighbours endlessly. I'll give it a read. Gosh, seems like I've found a new hole to pour money into ;)
Oh, you have no idea:
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/bbs.html

people like these for cheaper speakers

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_ ... cts_id/113