Dremel for cutting holes in steel m/b tray?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Strid

Dremel for cutting holes in steel m/b tray?

Post by Strid » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:54 am

Hey, I just wanted to ask a quick question to all the case modders out there... I want to cut a couple of holes in my steel motherboard tray for some better cable management. Will something as little as a Dremel suffice? I have an aversion against underpowered power tools, since I last time bought a "screwing machine" - apparently it makes you go "Screw this machine!" because it lacked serious torque. I went back to my good ol' trusty 800 W drill with bits. I don't want to end up with a Dremel if I could just use an angle grinder. Still, a Dremel will be la lot handier if it works.
I also have a few blow-holes to cut in a couple of

So; can a standard Dremel grind through a sheet metal like found "on" a motherboard tray?

Cheers! :D

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:36 am

A quality rotary tool (Dremel or the like) should be able to cut through a motherboard tray without too much trouble. I've used mine to cut out the restrictive fan grilles in the back of cases a number of times, and I'd imagine that the thickness of the metal is comparable for the two.

QuietOC

Re: Dremel for cutting holes in steel m/b tray?

Post by QuietOC » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:08 am

Strid wrote:So; can a standard Dremel grind through a sheet metal like found "on" a motherboard tray?
Definitely. I did burn out my Dremel cutting a 30mm axle nut in half, but Dremel fixed it under warranty pretty quickly, and I haven't had any trouble with it since then. Computer case metal cuts like butter. The little cutting disks don't last long, though, but the sparks are fun! :)

felix_w

Post by felix_w » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:04 pm

If you wanna do the job right, just use the reinforced dremel disks (the thick ones)...the others may break easily if you don't have experience in cutting metal...

QuietOC

Post by QuietOC » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:20 pm

felix_w wrote:If you wanna do the job right, just use the reinforced dremel disks (the thick ones)...the others may break easily if you don't have experience in cutting metal...
Actually, I haven't noticed a big difference. Both normally shatter due to user error. :)

felix_w

Post by felix_w » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:49 pm

Yeap, but they last longer...

SilentKev

Post by SilentKev » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:52 pm

For clean holes I prefer to use a drill with a circular hole cutter bit. Same as for cutting a fan hole, just with as smaller diameter cutter bit. A bit of sanding to remove any burrs or you can line the holes with a protective strip of rubber to protect the cables. Of course this works best for round or narrow cables compared to wide flat ones such as IDE cables.

Strid

Post by Strid » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:53 am

Ok, thank you guys! Imma get a Dremel. This is gonna be fun!! :D

I was thinking of just using the rotating sanding thingy on the dremel for smoothing out the edges of the holes I cut, by the way. If that doesn't work I'd probably just line the edges with, like, duct tape or something.