NZXT Duet

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

morglum

NZXT Duet

Post by morglum » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:33 pm

I could get my hands on a cheap NZXT Duet case...

Can anyoen tell me how good is it at keeping things quiet?

Thanks

psiu

Post by psiu » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:29 pm

It's grrrrrreat!
No seriously, have had one in our bedroom since last summer and it's inaudible. And that's with my fantastic build I put in there (as seen in the Gallery).
I am about to drastically improve things though.
Putting HD in 2nd 5.25" bay on Scythe Hard Disk Stabilizer II. Should help cooling it.
Removing rear fans altogether.
Changing hsf to stock AMD cooler, will have Fanmate2 out of case to adjust fan speed if needed.
Putting on a IDE->SATA adapter on the DVD drive to get the bulky IDE cables out of there.
Changing the video card (only to change the cooler basically) to have an exhaust on it instead of the massive ZM80D-HP in there.

So lessons to take:
Use a PSU with modular cabling, especially if you are going full ATX.
And it should have a 120mm fan, that way it will have it's own air supply.
Use a 120mm fan on either end, finesse will be required when mounting these + mobo.
Preferably get a video card that will exhaust it's heat.
A Minja is probably ideal in this case.
Plan on 1 optical and 1 HD for best airflow. Otherwise your HDs will roast themselves eventually.
edit: or a system drive on a 2.5" drive in the external 3.5" bay or primary internal 3.5" bay. That way it would also have some air around it.
Don't clean the plastic on the sides with 99% alcohol. But wipe it off with water really fast if you do.
Love the look, the nice feel of the main door, the lights are very subtle, not the usual blinding ones and give it a thumbs up.

psiu

Post by psiu » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:30 pm

Of course as always, depends on what you put in it, how far away you will be, how many digits you like in the temp readouts....

morglum

Post by morglum » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:05 am

psiu wrote:Of course as always, depends on what you put in it, how far away you will be, how many digits you like in the temp readouts....
Thanks for the info!

I agree that it will depend on a lot of things, but I guess what I wanted to know was "all pther components being equal, will it do a better job at being quiet than a 5$ case"

And I love the looks -- off I go!