Passive Crossfire build, help with casemodding

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

BrytaPlanka

Passive Crossfire build, help with casemodding

Post by BrytaPlanka » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:31 am

I just helped my cousin to build a system with 2 Passive Gigabyte Radeon HD4850 in crossfire!

The ATI drivers when we built it were really terrible.
We got bluescreens at windows startup and when the crossfire actually works, the colors looked weird and the performance was not a big improvment from one card.

While I was writing this, he just told to me that new drivers is out and that they are good! They were released today! :D

Here is the parts used in the setup:
http://www.prisjakt.nu/minsida.php?a=Br ... a&k=573781

Phenom II X4 940 3,0Ghz
2x Passive Gigabyte Radeon HD4850 Multi Core Cooling Dual-DVI 1GB in Crossfire
2x Terrabyte disks in RAID 0
8GB of DDR2 Ram
Seasonic M12 700W
Noctua NH-C12P
Aerocool S9 Pro

It looked awsome at first, 2 terrabyte in RAID in HDD coolers, good reviewed graphic cards run in crossfire, fast CPU with quiet cooler, quiet PSU, 8GB or RAM. The crossfire problem screwed things up though and we didnt get any power on USB devices during startup, so entering safe mode with F8 or "press any key to start with DVD" didnt work.
We had to search for a USB->PS2 adapter to do anything, it really sucked.

After a while we got it to work without bluescreens, but the crossfire still was not good. The Aerocool chassi with a 400mm fan cool everything quite good and blow on the graphic cards from above. It works and the cards is around 70-75 degree celcius during 3dmark tests if everest sensors are correct. Without the huge fan its alot hotter.

The 400mm fan was not as silent as I thought it would be. (I read that it was quiet) The fan is powered with a 4-pin molex. It is silent while it spins up, but its noisy at full speed. It moves alot of air even when its not on full speed, but it automaticly spins up to full speed...

Also, it got no dust filter...
The front fan got dustfilter, but not the huge 400mm fan.
Whats the point on having a dustfilter on only one of the fans?

So, here are my questions..
1. Anyone know how I can make my own dustfilter for the 400mm fan?
2. Is it possible to reduce and control fan speed on the 4-pin molex powered fan somehow?

I hope you want to help me out!
I have a feeling that his build will rock with tweaked and stable speeds on everything. :D