Power and Graphics suggestions for P182

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ornate

Power and Graphics suggestions for P182

Post by ornate » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:09 am

I'm looking to build a new Core i7 system, and the Antec P182 case looks like a very solid choice (in fact, it is so widely discussed that I probably failed to spot the answer to this very question in amongst the 1000s of search results :-( Sorry!)

The first obvious question is what power supply to put in the P182? The case design doesn't appear to lend itself to using a PSU with a bottom-oriented fan due to the restricted air intake (whether the PSU is mounted normally or upside down). So, looking at the recommended list, I've skipped over things like the Seasonic M12D.

That seems to leave me with two design choices. Firstly, a traditional PSU design with the fan located on the rear of the supply, such as the Antec Signature 650. I'm guessing with this type of choice I wouldn't need an extra fan in the lower chamber of the P182?

The other choice is to go fanless, such as the Silverstone Nightjar ST45NF, but add a fan in the lower chamber to ensure airflow through the PSU. Is this a workable choice?

So, what is the "best" choice? Ignoring cost as a factor, it might help to discuss the power draw of my system, as that will probably be important too. I'm looking at a Core i7, a couple of optical drives, a couple of hard drives, and a low(ish) power graphics card. This is a system for writing music, not playing games, so although it must have horsepower, I don't intend to stress the graphics card too much ;-)

On the subject of graphics card, the passively cooled Gigabyte Radeon HD4550 is on my shopping list. The only thing I was concerned about is whether this can drive two separate 19" LCD (1280x1024) screens simultaneously (presumably one using DVI->DVI, the other using HDMI->DVI)? Does anyone know this for sure? Thanks.

Summarising the questions (and thanks for bearing with me):
1) What is my best choice of power supply for the P182?
2) Can the HD4550 drive two LCD screens simultaneously?

Thanks for your help!

Rob

victorhortalives
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by victorhortalives » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:21 am

I have 2x P182s with Corsair 520HX PSUs. Plenty of room for the fan to access ventilation through the front panel, even though the fan points downwards.
You might ensure that the extra back panel holes for the bottom chamber are covered up to ensure a through air path from the front.
Many SPCR forum members put this sort of PSU in the bottom of the case. Even the review article does : http://www.silentpcreview.com/article741-page5.html

A passive PSU will also be fine as long as there is a fan running in the lower chamber to cool the PSU.
The centre fan position is OK, but can be eliminated (IMHO) if the PSU has a decent quiet fan AND there aren't more than 2 drives in the lower chamber.
Eliminating the centre fan dramatically improves the ability to run wires etc in the lower chamber.

Can't help wrt the graphics.

Candor

Post by Candor » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:53 pm

I second the Corsair 520HX. I've got one, and it will be moving to my new i7 machine when I build it.

ornate

Post by ornate » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:53 am

Thanks for the advice on the power supply. I haven't seen a P182 in person, so hadn't considered there may be enough space for a bottom fan oriented PSU. That said, having just re-read the Signature 650 review, I'm still leaning towards getting one of those.

I don't suppose anyone knows about graphics cards then?

Thanks again,

Rob

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:42 am

Power of choice: I believe Antec Signature 650 is a great PSU from many reviews, yet do you really need so much muscle? 400W is fairy enough for quad core cpu with single VGA system. I'm in favor of Enermax Modu82+ 525W, but HX450W is fairly enough for your system anyway.

4550 can drive two digital signals simultaneous - like DVI/DVI and DVI/HDMI. It depends on manufacturers who deploy connectors on retail merchandise.

Aris

Re: Power and Graphics suggestions for P182

Post by Aris » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:01 pm

ornate wrote:1) What is my best choice of power supply for the P182?
2) Can the HD4550 drive two LCD screens simultaneously?
1. 120mm bottom fan'd PSU's are not an issue. Just pick whatever you think is best. There are many topics already in the case forum about optimizing airflow in the bottom PSU chamber of this case.

2. there will be no problem doing 2x 19" displays. Even el-cheapo video cards can display well over 1280x1050. Look at the specs for the video card, they will list a max resolution. If its a dual head video card, this is the max resolution PER output, so take this number and double it to find your max resolution total over both outputs.

This el-cheapo $30 vga card will do 2048x1536 per output for a total of 4096x1536 for dual (side by side) displays.

ornate

Post by ornate » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:13 am

loimlo wrote:yet do you really need so much muscle?
I understand your point, but the Signature 650 review shows that the fan speed ramps up beyond 300W draw, and also that efficiency is best between 250-300 DC output, so I think it still makes sense. That said, I haven't added up the likely draw on an i7 system, I was only guessing it would be in the 250 region...
loimlo wrote:4550 can drive two digital signals simultaneous - like DVI/DVI and DVI/HDMI. It depends on manufacturers who deploy connectors on retail merchandise.
Thanks for the clarification :-)
Aris wrote:Look at the specs for the video card, they will list a max resolution. If its a dual head video card, this is the max resolution PER output, so take this number and double it to find your max resolution total over both outputs.
Cool, thanks for the tip too.

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:52 am

Your i7 system at most might draw 200W DC load - I seriously doubt my figures anyway.

1280x1024 is a pretty mild request for almost VGAs by today's standard. Pay attention to connector types such as DVI/HDMI/Display on VGA cards that meet your demand.