100% Passive Cooled - Project - A Little Help Needed!

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

GonnaBeDeadSoon

100% Passive Cooled - Project - A Little Help Needed!

Post by GonnaBeDeadSoon » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:08 am

Greetings all,

first of all i would like to say that the long standing ambition of mine (and probably alot of people here at SCPR) is to have a pc with no sounds! eg 0 dB! so after about 5 years of slowly upgrading my pc i feel im at the pivitol point in order to make my pc truly silent!

I did have a pretty quiet pc with a watercooling setup (CPU, NB and GFX) but the pump noise was driving me insane! so

Currently the System Specs are

Intel E8400 @ Stock 3.0Ghz with Scyth Mini Ninja running Fanless
4 x 1gb Corsair Dominator Ram @ 1066 Mhz
Asus ATI 3650 512mb DDR2 (out of the box passivley cooled)
Souund Platster Platinu Audigy 2
2 x 1TB WD Green power 3.5 Inch Sata's
1 x 200gb WD Main System Drive
500w Hyper Psu
Vista Pro
Thermaltake Soprano Case

I have 2 x Scythe Himuro drive silencers being delivered hopefully monday to drown out the main source of nose which is my HDD's at the moment so im hoping im impressed by these, the reviews ive read say theyare great at silencing but cause tems to rise a bit,

My questions are this

1)I can get a FSP Zen 400 fanless PSU for about £90 is this a good deal/good PSU?

Ive looked online at calculators for looking at max system wattage and mine comes in at about 280w @ peak,

2) Is it worth installing vitsa onto a 2.5inch drive (Installed into another Scythe Himura?

Ive ordered 2 but am planning on using these for my WD green powers and ive not yet found a solution to silence my system drive! ( i have 4 5.25 bays and 2 will be taken up by the WD's and one by my DVD drive, which leaves the last one as a nice place to store my unused psu cables!)

So im torn between having a few extra cables hanging and havig all 3HDDs silenced or ditching my system 3.5 and using a spare 40gb 2.5, its only 5400 rpm whcih im worried about a little too!

Im sure more questions will follow but if anyone can help wh these i would appriciate it!

Thanks

GBDS

Dr Prozac

Post by Dr Prozac » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:11 am

How good are those Scythe Himuro ? :)