Fast E8400 system

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JimD

Fast E8400 system

Post by JimD » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:07 pm

I'm about to replace my first quiet PC build, which is about 5 years old. With the new system I'm focusing on performance at a reasonable price, which possibly includes some conservative overclocking. I'm not shooting for silent just comfortably quiet. After receiving some excellent advice from several SPCR'ers I've tentatively arrived at the following configuration:
  • Case: Antec Solo
    Power supply: Antec NeoHE 380
    Front case fans: Scythe KAMA Flex 92mm 1600rpm
    CPU: Intel E8400
    CPU cooler: Xigmatec Dark Knight (includeds backplate)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
    Video: HIS 1gb HD 4670 iSilence (Zalman heat pipe)
    RAM: 4gb[edit] DDR2 (I'm clueless as to brand, speed)
    Drives: WD 640gb black, Samsung SP250 (from old system)
Any comments or observations would be appreciated. I'm wondering...
  • Is the power supply sufficient?
    Will I need the front case fans?
    Should I use a fan speed controller?
    RAM?
Last edited by JimD on Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

GonnaBeDeadSoon

Post by GonnaBeDeadSoon » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:15 am

Any comments or observations would be appreciated. I'm wondering...

Is the power supply sufficient? Yes Probably - try here http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Will I need the front case fans? Probably not, however if your worried about airflow then you can have them in and run them from 5v.

Should I use a fan speed controller? maybe a temperature controlled one

RAM? More than 4mb is needed! I hope you meant 4gb! pretty much with ram is you go for a brand name youll be ok, i have 4 x1gb of corsair dominator in mine at 1066, and then run rather cool!

The heatsink should be more than fine! i have an e8400 with a sycthe mini ninja on in running fanless and is running @ 42 degrees so your heatsink should do well,

You may find you want to think about hard drive silencing since your system will be quite quiet and noisy hard drives will drive you insane!!

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:03 am

I would go for a case with 2x120mm up front. It will always be easier to quiet without worying about airflow.

I have some OCZ with heatpipes that come out the top (OCZ2RPR10664GK). It runs no problem at 400MHz on my GA-EP45-UD3L, which a similar board to yours. The memory runs quite cool with the apparatus. There is all kinds of good DDR2. Try a search on Newegg.

JimD

Post by JimD » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:03 pm

GBDS—Thanks for the link to the PSU calculator. I forgot all about that site. 380w should be fine and still give me some room for adding another drive and more RAM down the road. FWIW, my drives are actually pretty quiet and run fairly cool. The WD6401AALS is brand new and uses high density platters. And the Samsung was recommended around here, back in the day.

Riffer—I think I'll probably hold off on the front fans for now and see how temperatures play out. Thanks! for the OCZ recommendation. I think that's what I'll end up buying.