Problems with HTPC (IGP & HD4670) and Toshiba TV

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

AndyHamp

Problems with HTPC (IGP & HD4670) and Toshiba TV

Post by AndyHamp » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:22 am

Hi,

I have a HTPC built around a Asus M3A78-EM MB and Powercolor HD4670 graphics card.

The Tv is a Toshiba 46RV555DB (UK version) with a 10bit 1080P panel.

There are a number of articles on the net, regarding problems with various HDTV's and ATI cards.

Using the TV's VGA input things work as expected (ie i can display images at the supported resolutions (WXGA, SXGA etc). Ok they're not ful screen, but they are crisp and sharp.

But via the HDMI ports i'm struggling to get anywhere.

I have two options.:

Firstly the motherboard IGP, using the HDMI port or the DVI port. This won't work at any resolution greater than 800x600. This seems to be widely reported, epecially with Tosh TV's.

Secondly the HD4670 card's DVI port. Now on the 4670 i can get a picture on the TV .... BUT it's truely horrible. sending what i think is a 1080P signal it's shown on the TV underscanned (i think this is the right term, but basically it got black borders). Any fonts show are fuzzy (dithered ?)

Anyone got any suggestions how to make this work to give me a true 1080P signal to the TV ... that the TV will accept ?

Cheers ... Andy

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:12 am

You need to be absolutely sure you are matching both the resolution and refresh rate of your vido card with that of your HDTV. Otherwise you will get a converted sample.

Maybe you are outputting a 60hz signal to a 50hz TV?

QuietOC

Re: Problems with HTPC (IGP & HD4670) and Toshiba TV

Post by QuietOC » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:21 am

AndyHamp wrote:Anyone got any suggestions how to make this work to give me a true 1080P signal to the TV ... that the TV will accept ?
Both AMD and nVidia have overscan options in their drivers.

AndyHamp

Post by AndyHamp » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:23 am

For the sake of completeness.... i managed to get this working correctly.

Using powerstrip i set the ATI cards output spec to the one stated in the Toshiba manual and the desktop is now full screen.

The horrible fonts were solved by playing with the TV's "sharpness" control. After turning this down everything is crisp. I'm actually impressed how well it now plays SD DVD's. There's almost no difference compared to my expensive Denon player. I may well be replacing it with the HTPC, which makes life so much simpler.

:-)

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:19 am

I had a similar problem with my HTPC setup (using the onboard ATI 3200 card on my gigabyte board) with a Sharp LCD TV when I was using XP MCE as the OS. However, when I upgraded to Vista, the new drivers managed to get a proper 1:1 pixel mapping out of the box.

What version of Windows are you running?

Also, for the record - the VGA input on most TVs won't allow you to display anything of a "proper" resolution. By proper, I mean either something that is native to the TV, or a resolution that would make sense.

AndyHamp

Post by AndyHamp » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:29 am

Nick Geraedts wrote:
What version of Windows are you running?
Windows XP with the latest 9.1 Catalyst drivers
Nick Geraedts wrote: Also, for the record - the VGA input on most TVs won't allow you to display anything of a "proper" resolution. By proper, I mean either something that is native to the TV, or a resolution that would make sense.
Agreed ... the Toshiba user manual is quiet specific about what resolutions are supported via VGA.

Andy

NeoteriX

Post by NeoteriX » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:50 am

Nick Geraedts wrote:I had a similar problem with my HTPC setup (using the onboard ATI 3200 card on my gigabyte board) with a Sharp LCD TV when I was using XP MCE as the OS. However, when I upgraded to Vista, the new drivers managed to get a proper 1:1 pixel mapping out of the box.
I too have a Sharp TV (and a 780g gigabyte mobo) and am coping with the lack of 1:1 pixel mapping (burred text when compared with a D-Sub VGA output at the same resolution) -- I was of the understanding that it is a display-side issue, not a function of the graphics card? How are you getting 1:1 pixel mapping through software?

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:46 pm

NeoteriX wrote:I too have a Sharp TV (and a 780g gigabyte mobo) and am coping with the lack of 1:1 pixel mapping (burred text when compared with a D-Sub VGA output at the same resolution) -- I was of the understanding that it is a display-side issue, not a function of the graphics card? How are you getting 1:1 pixel mapping through software?
I'm using HDMI as the connection now, but I had tried VGA back when I was thinking of using an Atom system to play media files. After I found out about the VGA problems, I switched to an HDMI capable system (Gigabyte 780G as well) and things worked much more smoothly.

NeoteriX

Post by NeoteriX » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:04 pm

Nick Geraedts wrote:I'm using HDMI as the connection now, but I had tried VGA back when I was thinking of using an Atom system to play media files. After I found out about the VGA problems, I switched to an HDMI capable system (Gigabyte 780G as well) and things worked much more smoothly.
But you're saying you saw an improvement in the image fidelity over your HDMI connection when you switched from XP to Vista?

To more clearly explain myself, right now I'm running my HTPC over HDMI and I have to put up with blurred text. As far as I've read, it is bc my Sharp TV doesn't support 1:1 pixel mapping over HDMI; I have to revert back to VGA in order for the TV to enable 1:1 pixel mapping. I assumed it was a hardware issue (dependent on the TV), but it gives me new hope if you're saying that it may be remedied by software (as demonstrated by your move from XP to Vista)

AndyHamp

Post by AndyHamp » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:49 am

NeoteriX wrote: To more clearly explain myself, right now I'm running my HTPC over HDMI and I have to put up with blurred text. As far as I've read, it is bc my Sharp TV doesn't support 1:1 pixel mapping over HDMI
On my Toshiba i have the card set to 1920x1080 and it looked truly horrible (even though it's properly calibrated). After playing around for a while i discovered turning the "sharpness" control on the TV right down made the text crisp and sharp rather than fuzzy.

Might not be your issue but worth a try ....

Andy