Quiet Family laptop?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

pd230soi

Quiet Family laptop?

Post by pd230soi » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:18 pm

Family is looking for a durable, mid-range laptop with the following attributes.

15 – 17â€

tehcrazybob
Friend of SPCR

Post by tehcrazybob » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:46 pm

I can't really offer any suggestions because I haven't used a modern laptop in about five years. However, if you stick with integrated graphics and sane processor choices (I typically recommend the slowest dual-core offering, or at least the slowest of a particular family like Core2), most laptops are pretty quiet at idle, thanks to aggressive fan management.

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:21 am

I bought a laptop almost 1 1/2 years ago. From what I can tell, its generally best to stick with Dell and Lenovo and stay away from HP/Compaq. I've had friends that have had troublesome experiences with their HP/Compaqs.

Dell's are generally more customizable and cheaper than Lenovos, but if you can get a Lenovo with the price/performance you want and can afford it, I'd say get a Lenovo. Talking to co-workers that have Lenovos, they seem better built than the Dells.

I've had less experience/knowledge with the Sony and Toshiba laptops, so I can't really say much about those.