Quiet, but very hot!

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

that Linux guy

Quiet, but very hot!

Post by that Linux guy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:33 am

Well, I've got my rig pretty quiet. Antec Solo, single Nexus 12cm rear exhaust, Xigmatek HDT-S1283 passive on an E8400, HD4870 1Gb with a Scythe Musashi on low... My rig is pretty quiet, except for my video card.

When I setup, my HD4870 with the new GPU cooler, I knew that the RAM and VRMs on the card was very hot. The puny little aluminum sinks didn't look very good, and I've heard of others getting better temps using the base plate of the OEM ATI cooler, so I did that. My GPU temp went down quite nicely. I idle at around 47C and load at around 60C. However, my RAM and VRMs are hitting amazingly high temps while gaming. I was seeing over 100C after a bit of gaming! I immediately thought of water cooling, but this is expensive and I'm not up to the cost and work of getting a quiet liquid loop going right now. So I come here asking your great opinions on how to tame temps on my quiet machine.

Firstly, would I see better temps using the aluminum sinks that came with the Musashi? I'm also eyeying a set of Enzotech copper sinks for the RAM and VRMs. Would the Enzotech sinks be worth the $20 over the aluminum sinks that I already have? Would I get better temps with either?

Secondly, The fans are nice and all, but I was still hoping for something quieter. The Musashi comes with 12mm thick 100mm fans that are variable via rheostat between 2k rpm and 1krpm. Scythe also makes similar version in standard thickness. Would the thicker units be quieter enough to justify the $15 for the both of them?

Faster_Madman

Post by Faster_Madman » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:10 am

I'm guessing that you will need a slow fan on the CPU cooler to get those temps down.

The Ati 4870 runs pretty hot and although you get nice temps, for an 4870, with the cooling you've got now, it is probably the heat from the gfx card that heats up your RAM and VRMs so much, at least that would be my guess.

Try putting a slow silent fan on the Xigmatek and see if that doesn't solve the problem.

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:26 am

I think there's a misunderstanding. My VRMs for the mainboard and RAM are fine, but it's the video memory and the video VRMs that are getting very hot. My CPU temps are fine. Idle at 40C, load at 55C. Everything else is in check too. It's just my video card giving me issues.

Faster_Madman

Post by Faster_Madman » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:02 am

My bad

Have you tried reseating the gfx cooler making sure it has good connection with the RAM and VRMs ?
You might need some new thermal pads to assure good connection between the sink and the components.

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:31 pm

I'll definitely give that a try tomorrow and report back. Thanks, man.

hybrid2d4x4

Post by hybrid2d4x4 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:02 am

Let us know how it goes.
Also, thanks for pointing out the Enzotechs. I'm tempted to give them a try over the S1 heatsinks, but like you, have my doubts about their effectiveness. I've also seen some specialized one-piece L-shaped heatsink for the 4870s with a low profile and a red finish, but haven't seen them for sale anywhere. My vRAM runs really hot as well, so I underclocked it pretty significantly and crank up the fan speeds when playing games, which is pretty far from ideal. Is it possible to reseat memory/MOFSET heatsinks without scraping/cleaning them and then having to apply some new adhesive? Any recommendations on which to use? (The Accelero S1 heatsinks barely held on when I initially installed them)

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:29 am

Well, I just finished putting my rig back together. I have a new reborn hate for the Scythe Musashi installation, and a new found hate for both thermal pads and wire fan clips.

I pulled out my video card, only remembering that because of my cable management, the power connections for the GPU fans were behind the mainboard tray! It took some awkward few minutes with a steak knife getting the fans unclipped so I could begin HD4870 surgery.

Once I had the fans, off, I proceeded to remove the heatsink, my custom mounting (the ATI original back-plate, small screw-springs from my 7900GS, and the Musashi thumb-bolts), and the ATI original base plate. I cleaned the GPU with WD40 for getting rid of the old TIM, and then I cleaned the GPU, video RAM, and video VRMs with rubbing alcohol. This is where the frustration began.

I had my aluminum heatsinks all laid out, grouped by sizing, ready to go. I start peeling the ones I need, start sticking them to the proper places... all seems well, until I pick up the card. All 11 sinks I used fell right off. I tried heating each one up a bit by holding it up to a light bulb for as long as my fingers could stand, and then sticking to it's proper place, holding for exactly 3 minutes. This appeared to work better than I'd thought. I stacked all my CD's on the heatsinks hoping the pressure would help them stick better. Meanwhile, I decided to go get some groceries and stop by a couple places seeing if I could find thermal adhesive. I came back empty handed for the latter, but came home to find my heatsinks still there and nothing had shifted or anything. However, while trying to get my Musashi re-installed, over half of the heat sinks fell off. I put the original ATI base plate back on after a second cleaning, and re-installed my Musashi.

I have the Kaze Jyu Slim fans on high right now, and it's not very noticeable with my girlfriend's fishtank lighting on. I'm going to look into getting better RAM and VRM heatsinks for the video card, some thermal compound, and the standard Kaze Jyu fans.

Idle temps are sitting at 43C for the GPU, 48C for both the RAM and VRMs. I'm lost on what else to do. :?

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:07 am

Oh, and Hybrid, those VRM and RAM sinks you were referring to?

http://www.petrastechshop.com/cuhdcokitbyi.html

I might get these. I just wish they came in copper!

psiu

Post by psiu » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:47 pm

WD40 is not really recommended for that-it can leave a (greasy) residue behind. Use some 99% IPA (isopropryl alcohol), should be able to get a bottle for under a buck at any pharmacy or pharmacy department.

edit: and standard rubbing alcohol is only 70%, it's highly ineffective compared to 99 or even 94% IPA.

edit2: I guess I'm happy I got this 4670...seems like the entire 4800 series is hot hot hot running and bit tricky to cool. Good luck!

hybrid2d4x4

Post by hybrid2d4x4 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:24 pm

Yup, those are the ones! I like how they attach to the card, but worry about the limited surface area for dissipating that heat, and for that price we should be getting copper. On the other hand, the Enzotechs would probably be too tall and i'd have to either shift the fins on the Accelero or cut out bits to make them fit. Either way it's pretty damn expensive to cool and silence this card!
Keep us posted!

Also, thanks for the tip, psiu - I was using rubbing alcohol and that might explain why I had a hard time getting the things to stick afterwards.

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:11 pm

Psiu, I didn't even notice the difference between pure isopropyl alcohol and the cheaper rubbing alcohol. I'll be sure to pick up some better stuf later.

I know that WF40 can leave a residue behind. I only use a small amount to get up most of the old TIM, and then I clean it with the alcohol. I've used the same method on CPUs before and never had any heat issues with them.

I totally hear you about the HD4800 series running hot. But a 4670 wouldn't cut the mustard playing Crysis at 1680x1050.

psiu

Post by psiu » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:53 am

that Linux guy wrote:Psiu, I didn't even notice the difference between pure isopropyl alcohol and the cheaper rubbing alcohol. I'll be sure to pick up some better stuf later.

I know that WF40 can leave a residue behind. I only use a small amount to get up most of the old TIM, and then I clean it with the alcohol. I've used the same method on CPUs before and never had any heat issues with them.

I totally hear you about the HD4800 series running hot. But a 4670 wouldn't cut the mustard playing Crysis at 1680x1050.
That's why I got married. No way I'm getting a new monitor anytime soon while this 1280x1024 monitor is still running. For that matter, my games are out of the discount bin so they are always a few years behind the curve.

Don't worry though. In about 4 years I'll be looking to buy that 4870 of yours for $30 on ebay. :wink: