Windows 7 RC 1 and higher CPU temps.

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Redzo

Windows 7 RC 1 and higher CPU temps.

Post by Redzo » Sun May 10, 2009 7:29 pm

Just as topic says did you ppl experience higher temps (both load and idle) since channging from Vista ?
I did check everything else, fans are same speed, filters are clean. Have checked with several different programs and I always have 3-5c higher temps in W7. Performance settings are the same too.

Nobody ? Cmon ppl it's not a trick question .....

WilliamMGeorge
-- Vendor --

Post by WilliamMGeorge » Tue May 12, 2009 4:30 pm

I haven't noticed any change, but then I didn't monitor temps religiously when I had Vista (nor do I now - I just had occasion to check a couple of days ago and then did again today in prep for this response).

The first thing that comes to my mind is just ambient temps - depending on where you live and how much you use heating/AC in your home you might be just seeing the effects of the transition from Winter to Spring over the last few weeks.

I guess if you want to test empirically you could roll back to Vista and check temps again... but that seems like a lot of work. If it turned out there was a different reading in the two OSes, it would mean either the software is behaving differently between the two or that something in the system is running hotter. To check if the CPU is the culprit, monitor actual operating frequency (especially at idle, as power savings can affect it). I would be more suspicious of the video card, though, as Windows 7 may well be running it harder especially when the rest of the system is idle. If the GPU puts off enough extra heat it would affect the CPU temps.

Did your comparison between Vista and Win7 include GPU temps?