Review my Build- Gaming rig based on Antec Solo

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Zeroignite

Review my Build- Gaming rig based on Antec Solo

Post by Zeroignite » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:39 pm

Well, here's the list of parts for a possible new build. Can you kind SPCRers give me a bit of feedback?

Rather than individual link of all the parts, I copied the HTML of the printer-friendly version of the shopping cart, then uploaded it to a fileserver.
(No, this is neither malware nor a fishing attempt)
http://stashbox.org/540917/list.html

I plan on using Antec's drive softmounting, and swapping their Tri-Cool for the Scythe. If possible, the Ninja will be run passive.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:40 pm

Some random thoughts:

Not sure how quiet that Sapphire 4870 will be - it doesn't look like the 4870 reference cooler that was found by SCPR to be reasonably quiet.

You might want to look at a reference 4870 design from another manufacturer or maybe stretch your budget to the SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 4870 1GB, as the Vapor X cooler is said to also be reasonably quiet.

Also, there are quieter PSU's that the 430W Earthwatts, although I see you're getting a deal on that PSU.

You might want to look at the Nexus 430W or a Corsair VX450, HX450 or HX520 alternatively.

While the Caviar Green HDD is a quiet drive, it is a little slow to be using for a system drive, as it is a 5400rpm drive NOT 7200rpm as Newegg claims - see the comments etc on Newegg . Unless you are re-using another HDD from another build for your system drive, I'd look at the equivalent Caviar Blue instead, which is only slightly noisier but is a fair bit faster as well.

The included suspension mounts in the Antec Solo should work well with this HDD.

I'd throw in a Zalman Fanmate 2 and some rubber fan mounts to go with that 1200rpm Slipstream, so you can turn it down as needed.

If you plan on running the Ninja passively, you could use the fan that comes with the Ninja as an exhaust instead of the Slipstream and connect it to the CPU header so that the exhaust fan speed varies continues to with CPU load/temps.

A front 92mm intake fan could also help with GPU temps if things get too hot otherwise - try either a 92mm Nexus or Scythe fan undervolted a little bit, although this might be something you don't need to buy straight away.

Hope some of that helps!

danimal

Post by danimal » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:12 pm

since you are spending $$$ for a nice video card, it looks like you are gaming with it? not a completely silent system, in other words.

i have a slightly different version of that antec solo, i just got it, and while it's an incredibly nice case, the door arrangement is a deal-killer, because it makes cleaning the air filters on the front too difficult... it looks like i'd have to pull the side off first, in order to unclip the front, to get to the filters.

and since the door doesn't open up too easily, the airflow is restricted, which may not be the best choice for a gaming computer... i have an old p180b that is much nicer than the solo... it's easy to get to the filters, and you can open the door for more airflow if you need it.

not too many p180b's around, and antec has discontinued the p182, so your options there are limited and/or expensive... but i'd still be looking at something other than the solo.

take a look at the mugen 2, it's about the best cpu cooler that scythe has ever made, and it looks like it'll fit your cpu(??), $37 at the egg, with a nice fan.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:42 am

Hi,
you can always grind the locking mechanism of the door a little bit and you'll be able to open it without removing the side panel. And it will still shut close (friction fit).

GO SOLO !!!!!

Zeroignite

Part list changed, Thanks

Post by Zeroignite » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:22 pm

Well, thanks for the advice. I made some changes.
List

Important changes:
Swapped Ninja for Mugen 2.
Changed PSU for the VX250; SPCR's review makes it look great. I don't get the combo deal, but the MIR compensates.
Thanks for pointing out the WD Green. I knew the're 5400 rpm, but didn't notice the name of the drive- silly Power Search. I had planned on getting the Caviar 640, but after researching a bit more I found that Seagate's 7200.12 series has 500GB/platter. The model I got shows impressive benchmarks, low power draw, and is very well priced.

After all the MIRs, the final price is just a bit over $800. I think I did quite well. Now I just have to convince myself to spend the cash ;) .

PS: Reviews claim the cooler on that Sapphire card is reasonably quiet, at least by Newegg reviewer standards. I don't feel that I can justify spending another $30 on the Vapor-X cooler.

danimal

Post by danimal » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:11 pm

for another $10-15 more, you can get a full gig hdd...

1 gb 4870 for $150, looks like a much better deal??:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814150352