amd 940 build, need SPCR'ers opinions :P

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ddrj

amd 940 build, need SPCR'ers opinions :P

Post by ddrj » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:54 pm

Hello fellow silent enthusiasts, I was hoping to get some comments / critiques about this build:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Publi ... r=11833506

Only thing I'm missing from that list is a video card but that's because I will be porting over one from my old build :)

Also instead of the p183, I am also considering a gigabyte case but i haven't seen any reviews for it:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Cha ... uctID=3042

Please let me know what you think

EDIT: also what would be a good heatsink for the cpu? ninja mini?

Best regards,
ddrj

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:57 pm

Seems like you've done your homework, good job! If considering a GIGABYTE case, have a look at the Setto, damn it's good looking :P

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:02 pm

That gigabyte case does look good... except that huge meshed area on side which will leak majority of noise...

ddrj

Post by ddrj » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:25 am

LodeHacker wrote:Seems like you've done your homework, good job! If considering a GIGABYTE case, have a look at the Setto, damn it's good looking :P
Thanks I appreciate it! The settos definitely look good. I was wondering if you had any experience with the p182/183 cases? Reason I'm asking is because I don't know how many scythe fans to get and replace the tricools in there with.

thejamppa wrote:That gigabyte case does look good... except that huge meshed area on side which will leak majority of noise...
Wow! I didn't know there was a mesh on the side! I won't get this case then. I'll be getting the p183. Just curious, do u know how many fans i need to get for the p183 to replace the tricools? or will the tricools be enough? I had a solo before this and i replaced the tricools.

Also any other cases you guys would recommend (other than my current solo and the cupio)? I think i'll go away from gigabyte due to the mesh. And what would be a good cpu heatsink for the amd 940? or would the default one be enough?

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:10 am

changing tri-cools really matter's how you perceive noise. Since you probably perceive it well, due you changed tri-cools in Solo, check 2-3x 800 rpm slipstreams. 2 front and 1 exhaust and block off the top exhaust with sorthobane/foam. P182/P183 would probably be quite good if you have many HDD's or big VGA card.

Phenom II 940 is pretty hot cop cooler. Since AM2 you cannot rotate many heatsink's for best air flow and many xigmatek clones "install" wrong ways. Check Sun-beam core-contact freezer, Scythe Mugen 2 or Noctua U12P. They will install correct way fan fasing the exhaust. And in Mugen 2 you can put Fan on any side.
Last edited by thejamppa on Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:13 am

The TriCools at their lowest setting are fairly quiet, should move a bit air and might be enough for your setup. Should temperatures be high, gradually raise the speed of each TriCool to see how it affects air circulation in the case. Once you have found a spot where you need more air to be pushed, but don't want the noisy TriCools to do it, consider a Scythe or any other fan. Do first try with the TriCools only though, you might save a bit of money.

ddrj

Post by ddrj » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:35 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. I think I will go with the p182/3 since gigabyte disappointed me with the side mesh. I think i will also take lodehacker's advice and stick with the tricools when i get the case. If it's noticeable (like it was on the solo on my desk) then I will do what thejamppa said and get 2-3 scythe fans. Also I think I will get a scythe mugen 2 like thejamppa suggested. Either that or if i can find the am2 brackets for the hr-01, i may just try and port over the hr-01 from a previous build :) but in all probability i won't so scythe mugen 2 might be the best option

swivelguy2

Post by swivelguy2 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:11 pm

For just 1 graphics card, 1 HDD, and nothing else extra, why go full-ATX? You could get a mini-p180 (on sale for $80) and a matx gigaybte board, and save some space, weight, and cash.

ddrj

Post by ddrj » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:40 pm

swivelguy2 wrote:For just 1 graphics card, 1 HDD, and nothing else extra, why go full-ATX? You could get a mini-p180 (on sale for $80) and a matx gigaybte board, and save some space, weight, and cash.
you know i was thinking about that actually! the problem is that i don't know if my graphics card will fit in a matx board with the mini p180. it takes up 3 slots (ati 4870 + accelero + 120mm fan)

here's a pic for reference: Image

i think there might be just enough space on that gigabyte board where the vid card's fan wouldn't touch the top of the psu inside of a mini p180 right?

swivelguy2

Post by swivelguy2 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:58 pm

I've seen Accelero setups like that in matx cases before. It works, but the fan ends up almost touching the floor, so there's very little clearance from which it can draw fresh air. I guess having such a large VGA cooling setup is a decent reason to go full-atx.

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:08 pm

swivelguy2 wrote:For just 1 graphics card, 1 HDD, and nothing else extra, why go full-ATX? You could get a mini-p180 (on sale for $80) and a matx gigaybte board, and save some space, weight, and cash.
Because, believe it or not, some people still prefer ATX boards and ATX cases. I know, that might be an anathema to some SPCR readers. Too much mATX/mini-ITX [fan]boyism and anti-ATX sentiment on SPCR -- as though users who opt for an ATX setup weren't "true believers" or "eco-friendly". I accept the benefits of smaller system size and footprint for ecological, economical and [potential] for silencing purposes, but that doesn't mean larger form factor users should be alienated.

Not having a go at you personally, just my personal opinion on what I notice often on the forum. I would feel for the OP if he didn't get the case and setup he wanted because he was convinced otherwise.
ddrj wrote:Thanks for the tips guys. I think I will go with the p182/3 since gigabyte disappointed me with the side mesh.
I understand your quest to find something other than Antec, only to be disappointed by the competition's lack of silencing qualities :(. The search continues... until then, it's back to the same old :wink:.