First build- parts list

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Zebra

First build- parts list

Post by Zebra » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:58 am

Hi forum,

So far here is the components I've selected:

Windows 7

ASUS M3N78-VM AM2+/AM2
-this comes with a nvidia GeForce 8200, right? Is this a decent graphics card? I don't need a high-end gaming one, but one nice enough to run some games.

AMD Phenom II X4 AM2+

Rosewill MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066

Sony Optiarc Black CD/DVD drive

SYBA PCI 1-Channel CardBus Host Controller

MASSCOOL FD08025S1M4 80mm Case Fan X2 (?)

Scythe SY1225SL12L 120mm "Slipstream" Case Fan

SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-550HT 550W

Sound card-not sure where to start, any recommendations?

Ignore mouse/keyboard/monitor/speakers for now.

Will the power supply I've selected be sufficient? I don't have total confidence in my ability to appropriately choose a psu, but my research tells me this should work.

Thoughts?

Thanks

qviri

Post by qviri » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:42 pm

What are your goals: silent, very quiet, reasonably quiet? A better CPU heatsink is notably missing from your list. This is especially important with your hot 125 W TDP CPU.

The PSU will be fine.

Zebra

Post by Zebra » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:59 pm

qviri wrote:What are your goals: silent, very quiet, reasonably quiet? A better CPU heatsink is notably missing from your list. This is especially important with your hot 125 W TDP CPU.

The PSU will be fine.
So the supplied heat sink will not be sufficient? There doesn't seem to be any info on the supplied heatsink.

I want it to be pretty quiet, but silent is not essential. I may swap the fans out for something else.

qviri

Post by qviri » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:18 pm

It will be sufficient as far as temperatures go. I don't know about it specifically, but since this is a high-TDP part, it is likely to have a fast, loud fan.

My logic is: this CPU's heatsink+fan must be designed to handle twice the heat of AMD's mainstream 65 W TDP CPUs. It will not be twice as large as the heatsink that comes with the 65 Ws (because then AMD would be exceeding their own weight guidelines). It must therefore have a fast fan to keep temperatures reasonable.

If you insist on the 125 W CPU, then get a much larger heatsink.

Zebra

Post by Zebra » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:30 pm

Ah, gotcha. Good to know, although I may go with it at first to save money.
qviri wrote:It will be sufficient as far as temperatures go. I don't know about it specifically, but since this is a high-TDP part, it is likely to have a fast, loud fan.

My logic is: this CPU's heatsink+fan must be designed to handle twice the heat of AMD's mainstream 65 W TDP CPUs. It will not be twice as large as the heatsink that comes with the 65 Ws (because then AMD would be exceeding their own weight guidelines). It must therefore have a fast fan to keep temperatures reasonable.

If you insist on the 125 W CPU, then get a much larger heatsink.

qviri

Post by qviri » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:00 pm

Zebra wrote:Good to know, although I may go with it at first to save money.
If you do, it'd be a good idea to remove the thermal pad pre-installed on the heatsink and use dedicated thermal paste right away. The pad is wax and essentially single-install - it'll melt and you'll never get it out properly. You'll need the paste for the new heatsink, and mixing remnants of molten wax and paste won't work as well.

It's something like $5 or $6, and single tube lasts a long time.

K.Murx

Post by K.Murx » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:45 pm

Couple points:

Are you sure you want an AM2+ CPU/Board? AM3 would be more future proof.
Also, do you really want a Quad Core? On an AM3 platform, you could go with the X3, which consumes "only" 95W and is thus easier to cool quietly.

I would invest the saved money into a better case. The Rosewill you linked to does not seem to include a place for a front 120mm fan or an airpath through the front bezel.
A good case makes quite a difference noise wise. Most people here are quite fond of the Antec Solo as an "entry level" case, however it's $85 + $10 shipping. Yet you might want to consider that such a case can last quite some time.

Stay away from those $2 80mm case fans. They are very likely screaming loud. Better get another 120mm Slipstream as an intake fan.

Soudn Card: As long as you are not a very experienced listener/audiophile with very good headphones/speakers, you should be fine with an onboard sound card.

petecool

Post by petecool » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:59 pm

I built something similar a month or so ago (not posted yet!)

If you were ever planning on undervolting, the BIOS on that motherboard doesn't support it.

The included heatsink was louder at idle than an Antec Tricool 120mm at low speed (which isn't even quiet by the usual SPCR standards). When it had been at full load for a few hours, it just was unbearable. I replaced it with a Noctua NH-U12P, couldn't be happier.

Something else to think of, an Antec NSK3480 (SPCR reviewed, search for it on the main page) + fan swap for the PSU would be cheaper than your case + PSU choice. The included Earthwatts 380W is more than sufficient for my system (same CPU, GTS250 65nm added). Unless you prefer the looks of the Rosewill case, of course.

PS: I had a few links in there, but can't post them yet (need 3 posts!)

Zebra

Post by Zebra » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:21 am

Cool advice everyone, all good things to consider!

oxymoron09

Post by oxymoron09 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:04 am

As for sound cards, I have the Asus Xonar D2 and it is very good!

toomuchnoise

Post by toomuchnoise » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:57 pm

I build a system with an AMD Phenom X4 955 in May and have ended up here looking for advice on cooling - as the stock AMD cooler is loud and the CPU runs warm to hot generally. I love the PC - but agree with PeteCool that you'll want a good CPU cooler if you go AMD X4 and want some quiet. I'm looking at the same Noctua or a Scythe Mugen 2 (as it's a bit cheaper).

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:18 pm

K.Murx wrote: Also, do you really want a Quad Core? On an AM3 platform, you could go with the X3, which consumes "only" 95W and is thus easier to cool quietly.
Misleading, the x3 is rated to use UP TO 95 under theoretical peak. In reality all CPU's at stock use less (usually alot less) than its TDP.

That onboard IGP wont be any good for new games. Anything more than the Sims or games ~3 years old+ will unlikely look great. What res will you be using?

Unless you have really good speakers and care alot about sound quality onboard audio is fine and a good way of saving money. At least wait until you get the system up and running and see if you feel the sound isnt up to what youd like.

K.Murx

Post by K.Murx » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:00 pm

FartingBob wrote:
K.Murx wrote: Also, do you really want a Quad Core? On an AM3 platform, you could go with the X3, which consumes "only" 95W and is thus easier to cool quietly.
Misleading, the x3 is rated to use UP TO 95 under theoretical peak. In reality all CPU's at stock use less (usually alot less) than its TDP.
Actually, under load the Phenom II are usually quite close to the TDP iirc.
See http://www.silentpcreview.com/article903-page4.html

But yes, it does consume less when idle / not fully loaded :roll: