Building a NSK1380 system

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RD Oregon

Building a NSK1380 system

Post by RD Oregon » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:48 pm

It has been a while since I last built a computer, but after reviewing this site for the past month, I feel up for the challenge again. The computer I'll be building will be my main desktop, but I plan on using it as a HTPC in the future. It will not be used for any gaming, but I usually have multiple browser windows, Office, and iTunes open at the same time. I will also rarely do video/ photo editing.

Here is the list of components I am thinking of getting. Thanks to eitheta, sp0n, AuraAllan and Vicotnik for their inspiring builds.

Case: Antec NSK1380 - I like cube cases and it will work well as a future HTPC
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA785GPMT-UD2H AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - It looks like a good choice for using onboard graphics for a HTPC
Processor: AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W - I plan to undervolt this to <65watts
Memory: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
Hard Drive: OCZ Agility Series OCZSSD2-1AGT60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - I read the recent SSD review on anandtech. This should meet my needs for Windows 7 and other applications and it accepts TRIM. I'll be using an external drive or NAS for additional storage.
DVD burner: SAMSUNG DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223L
CPU cooler: Akasa AK-920-2 EVO 120 Rev. 2 - without a fan
Case fan: Scythe 120x25mm SlipStream SY1225SL12M - 68 CFM - this is the 1200rpm version that I will undervolt to 800rpm
Power: picoPSU 150-XT with a 102w (12v/8.5A) AC-DC Power Adapter

Few questions about this:
1. Do I have enough power for the system? At first glance, it looks fine, but I am worried about the DVD burner. If I am running multiple applications and burning a disc, will I burn out the power adapter (rated for 102w)?
2. Will I need a new northbridge cooler or will the stock cooler be enough?
3. Including taxes and shipping, this will cost about $800-$850. Is this reasonable for a mid range quiet system or are there cheaper options that will let me accomplish the same thing?
4. Will the upcoming i5 processors/ motherboards offer better options at about the same price?

Thanks

nightmorph

Post by nightmorph » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:08 am

--
Last edited by nightmorph on Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hybrid2d4x4

Post by hybrid2d4x4 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:36 pm

1) You'd definitely have to undervolt (and probably underclock) in order to get your cpu+gpu load under 100W. http://www.silentpcreview.com/article967-page7.html

2) Stock cooler should be good enough as long as you have good airflow over it. You can always improvise some kind of ducting to help out. I did this in my NSK2480 for the relatively hot 730i chipset (GF 9400). You can see it on the page linked in my sig. I'm not so sure that switching to AS5 compound is going to make that much of a difference, though.

3) Your components are very reasonable, but if you wanted to save a few bucks, you may downgrade the CPU to the 710 or 705e. Also, is the Akasa cheap? I'd be tempted to get something with more surface area/heatpipes...
Alternatively, I'd give the included PSU a try with a fanswap- it's a lot cheaper than buying a picoPSU and adapter. The catch is that it probably won't like the heat from the CPU (and ramp up fan speeds) and AMD's cooler mount may not let you orient your cpu cooler to clear the PSU.

4) I'd expect the price to be significantly higher, and also, I'm sure the power/thermal envelope would be a lot higher as well. Lastly, I don't expect intel to come out with anything other than a G45 respin for the IGP in the G55. They've been stonewalling nV, so I'm not too optimistic for the prospects of getting a good IGP with the i5, but hopefully I'm wrong...

RD Oregon

Post by RD Oregon » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:42 pm

Thanks for the advice. I just found this thread-

Pico Psu 150Watt power brick or alternatives - on SPCR
(can't post the link yet)

It suggests another silent ITX power supply that can use a fanless 19V-26V power brick. It also looks like it may be reviewed by SPCR in the next couple weeks.

As for the processor, I read a review on newegg that mentioned that the 720 could be undervolted below the 65w that a 705 uses. From the one review it also mentioned that the 705 could not be undervolted well.