How to make my parents computer silent?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Makdaddy

How to make my parents computer silent?

Post by Makdaddy » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:31 pm

Hey guys,

A few months ago I built a computer for the parents, which was pretty much for basic internet usage. Here is what's in the system atm:

PC:
CPU: Intel Pentium D 945 @ 3.4GHz
CPU Cooler: Foxconn [Unsure - however doesn't make noise and cools sufficently]
Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
RAM: 2GB 800
Graphics: ATI Radeon X1600 256MB [Has a tiny white fan on the bottom, not sure if it's causing noise..]
HDD: 1 x 320GB
DVD: Asus
PSU: Crappy Generic PSU [Might also be causing noise]
Case: Crappy Generic Case [Has removable 80mm fans, side panel is a bit brocken so it's a little bit open, not 100% closed]

I was wondering if I just got a nice case, would it fix all my problems? Something like a CoolerMaster Sileo 500 or something?

The PC is in the bedroom and makes a lot of noise, and when my dad is online late at night and mum is trying to sleep = not good. I think the main cause would be the PSU/Case - but would upgrading the case be enough? If not, what parts would you recommend removing/replacing?

Kind regards,
Mak

kater

Post by kater » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:17 pm

Simply getting a new case is not enough :/ There still will be the crappy PSU, old generation CPU and, possibly, the screamer on your VGA.

CM Sileo is a good call, a decent quality case with good ventilation (important) and some extra sound dampening features. Some other options would be Antec cases like NSK4480B II or NSK3480. A bit more pricy but they come with v good and quiet PSUs already, and pricewise, Antec's combos are hard to beat. (heck, you'll probably get those much cheaper than me, as the prices here are bloated with taxes, duties and whatnot...). So, that said, I'd firstly blame your old PSU, probably w/o fan control of any kind etc.
So, that investment would solve us 3 things - case, PSU and ventilation (Antecs come with v decent 120mm back fans)

You have a v nice & new mobo that can take any 775 CPU there is, including the newest v cool and energy efficient series like E5200. That CPU would be quicker, cooler and easier to cope with, and will come with a 4pin (PWM) stock cooler that, most probably, be quieter than the Foxconn (I think I know what Foxconn it is, with a blue fan maybe, and it's a good cooler but not that quiet). CPUs like D945 still can sell for v good prices on auctions so you could also trade your to offset the new one. If E5200 seems too expensive for you, E1400 or even the new E3200 might be a good option. But the $ difference won't be that big. But we can wait with that as the Foxconn cooler might actually be bearable in the new case.

VGA - should it be a culprit too, it can be easily coped with. X1600 can take a variety of cheap, aftermarket cooles, such as AC S2, Revoltec Graphic Freezer Pro or Evercool VGA Turbo 2. Or you could simply try to replace just the fan on it, with some other 40mm or 50mm fan. But let's wait with that until it's necessary.

HDD - also a source of nice, but it can wait until the PSU/CPU/VGA are contained. Suspending it would be a good and cheap idea, and efficient too. Getting rid of vibrations is always nice.

I'm just dropping some suggestions here. It would help to know your budget, too. I understand you don't want a new PC, sure, but some investment is required.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Re: How to make my parents computer silent?

Post by lm » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:20 am

Makdaddy wrote: The PC is in the bedroom and makes a lot of noise, and when my dad is online late at night and mum is trying to sleep = not good.
Lol, you do realize there are only 2 solutions to this problem, right?

either:

Dad goes to sleep earlier

or:

Computer is not in the bedroom

Assuming anything else works is just silly. Even if you get the computer quieted, the input devices (and your dad) still make noise and the screen lights up the room.

K.Murx

Post by K.Murx » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:59 am

First I would mod the graphics card. The X1600 is a very low power part, so just slap an Accelero S2 (cheaper than the S1 R2) on it and run it passively.
But the PSU is probably the main culprit, however quality PSUs tend to be expensive. You might want to try a fan swap, but be warned - due to the likely usage of low quality parts in that CPU, there is a considerable change that you might lose it.
I would keep the case, especially if you can exchange the Pentium D power hog for something more reasonable. Get some good quality 80mm fans and undervolt them - you should not need much airflow if you get a low power processor. But fix that side panel!
Suspending the HDD is also a good idea, and will not cost you anything.

RoGuE

Post by RoGuE » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:11 am

I don't have advise for makin it quieter mainly becasue i'm pressed for time right now, but I noticed you weren't sure what the main culprits of sound were. One good (albeit primative) way of finding out which fans are whining is by taking a pencil, eraser side up, and just barely taping the center hub of the fan while the computer is running. If the fan u touch is the noisy one, then you will hear the tone of the computer change dramatically while u tap the fan.

Just make sure you are grounded before u take the side panel off and start poking shit lol

markyb

Post by markyb » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:45 pm

RoGuE wrote:I don't have advise for makin it quieter mainly becasue i'm pressed for time right now, but I noticed you weren't sure what the main culprits of sound were. One good (albeit primative) way of finding out which fans are whining is by taking a pencil, eraser side up, and just barely taping the center hub of the fan while the computer is running. If the fan u touch is the noisy one, then you will hear the tone of the computer change dramatically while u tap the fan.

Just make sure you are grounded before u take the side panel off and start poking shit lol
Cant put it any simpler to be honest. Thats the way i found out what was making the noise in my system before building a new pc. Defiantly some cost will be involved to get it running quieter then it is now. Swapping cheap fans for abit more expensive ones undervolted will go along way. I had a £1 80mm fan running on my last pc with it cut into the side of the case to cool the GPU more. The fan made a terrible wining noise. But i just put up with it. My new pc is very quiet compared with probably more air flow then before! granted ive spent some cash on it, but some of it *like suspending the hhds & cost me around £5 (10$ AUS) and i cant hear them bang, whizz or anything anymore. Depends how creative you want to be :lol:

Good luck in your quest for a quieter one.. i couldnt have done my pc without the help of these people on here.. :wink:

Quietstick
Friend of SPCR

Post by Quietstick » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:32 am

"I was wondering if I just got a nice case, would it fix all my problems? Something like a CoolerMaster Sileo 500 or something? "

No... :wink:

I've got the Sileo - it doesn't really keep much of those sounds in. The fans are pretty silent at 500rpm tho, except for a very slight 'ticking' sound.

Stilll, you could get the Sileo and maybe a quieter PSU and just place the HD on the foam padding of the Sileo, disconnect the GPU fan and see...

That would be most of the PC noise issue. But what about the screen and the typing and the mouse clicks, etc?

BTW, I have my Sileo next to my bed (2m) and I've disconnected the case beep and LEDs and covered up the Optical drive LED too. I've throttled down the CPU fan but haven't got it below 1100rpm yet (viewtopic.php?t=55224). PC doesn't normally wake me when it comes on to record something in the middle of the night. :)

piglover

Post by piglover » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:48 am

Since all they want is internet access why not just buy them an eePC (or whatever cheep netbook you can find) and plug the monitor, keyboard and mouse into it? The eePC is fanless and even the spinny disks they use are near silent.

I know its a lot less fun, but unless you have an endless supply of high quality silent spare parts it will end up being cheaper...maybe a lot cheaper.
Last edited by piglover on Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

piglover

Post by piglover » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:51 am

Dup deleted.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:19 am

Quite a combination, Pentium D and P45 board.

If you're enough of a DIY guy, swap the (PSU) fan(s) and put the suggested heatsink on the GPU. Suspend the HDD if you feel like it, undervolt and underclock the CPU. This will be cheaper than a new net-book/box and your parents will be able to do word processing whilst they are surfing.

If the Pentium D945 is one of those old back-of-a-napkin-invention dual-cores, then I'm pretty sure the CPU fan is causing the racket.

RoGuE

Post by RoGuE » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:02 am

one thing you might want to look into is dust buildup in the heatsinks. Open up the case and take em off. Blow some compressed air through em and get them nice and clean. A heatsink full of dust is about as useless as curtains in Pamela Anderson's bedroom. It will cause the fan to ramp up to full rpm, which is pretty loud for most stock fans.

Quietstick
Friend of SPCR

Post by Quietstick » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:48 pm

RoGuE wrote:one thing you might want to look into is dust buildup in the heatsinks. Open up the case and take em off. Blow some compressed air through em and get them nice and clean. A heatsink full of dust is about as useless as curtains in Pamela Anderson's bedroom. It will cause the fan to ramp up to full rpm, which is pretty loud for most stock fans.
Take off the heatsinks?? Make sure you know what you are doing - you need to know how to remove them to avoid damaging the chip underneath and attach them again for them to work properly!! :!: :!:

I'm sure Pam uses her curtains to keep the lights out after one of her all nighters....

RoGuE

Post by RoGuE » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:00 pm

Quietstick wrote:
RoGuE wrote:one thing you might want to look into is dust buildup in the heatsinks. Open up the case and take em off. Blow some compressed air through em and get them nice and clean. A heatsink full of dust is about as useless as curtains in Pamela Anderson's bedroom. It will cause the fan to ramp up to full rpm, which is pretty loud for most stock fans.
Take off the heatsinks?? Make sure you know what you are doing - you need to know how to remove them to avoid damaging the chip underneath and attach them again for them to work properly!! :!: :!:

I'm sure Pam uses her curtains to keep the lights out after one of her all nighters....
well...yeah. I gave this advise assuming he knows how to do that safely. I guess its not good to assume....

PartEleven
Friend of SPCR

Post by PartEleven » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:20 pm

lm wrote:either:

Dad goes to sleep earlier

or:

Computer is not in the bedroom

Assuming anything else works is just silly. Even if you get the computer quieted, the input devices (and your dad) still make noise and the screen lights up the room.
This is the real solution to the problem. No matter how quiet the system is, the user is still going to make noise. Keyboard tapping, mouse clicks, the occasional cough, shifting around in the chair, etc.