Easily removable dust filters

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ftrebien

Easily removable dust filters

Post by ftrebien » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:14 pm

Following wise advice from SPCR website and forums, I'm glad to be running a quiet system for a while. To avoid problems with dust buildup, I've also implemented positive pressure with dust filters (search Amazon for "plastic filter guard and retainer").

So I've had the best of three worlds (quiet, cool and dust-free), but cleaning the filters is always a headache, since I have to unscrew and detach case fans to reach them.

I've searched everywhere for a more practical solution, with no success so far. So I'd like to ask to the experts: is there in the market a dust filter that, once installed, is easy to remove, clean and place back?

Something as easy as the front fan filters on an Antec SOLO would be just perfect. In fact, I've been thinking of buying a SOLO, solving the problem for front filters but not for the rear filter. And, for a rear filter, it seems to me that an externally-mounted filter (just like in the SOLO) would be easier to maintain than an internal one.
Last edited by ftrebien on Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:04 pm

Yes, DEMCifilters:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... 36_463_500

I have switched to them exclusively. They work better than any filters I have used previously, and are very easy to remove and clean.

ftrebien

Post by ftrebien » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:41 pm

Wow, that's what I call a perfect solution! Thank you!

Just to make sure: the magnet is probably not strong enough to affect internal electronics, right?

(Now I just hope they ship to Brazil. :?)

Edit: They ship to Brazil indeed! :D

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:33 am

ftrebien wrote:....Just to make sure: the magnet is probably not strong enough to affect internal electronics, right?

Lol! Don't believe what you see in Hollywood movies, it takes a pretty strong magnet to screw up internal electronics.

These magnets are about as strong as those flat ones you attach to the refrigerator.

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:04 am

So is the filtered positive pressure setup pretty good at keeping dust out of the case? I've been thinking about trying this eventually, although my case isn't really well suited for positive pressure IMO (I have 2x92mm intakes, would prefer a single 120mm for noise reasons). How often do you have to clean out the filters?

Also, those magnetic filters are a pretty neat idea, but kind of pricey. How much do those flexible magnetic strips cost at hobby stores? I bet you could buy some and make a similar filter for a lot less.

ftrebien

Post by ftrebien » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:49 am

Riffer wrote:Lol! Don't believe what you see in Hollywood movies, it takes a pretty strong magnet to screw up internal electronics.
Just to be sure haha. Thanks!

ftrebien

Post by ftrebien » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:45 pm

frostedflakes wrote:So is the filtered positive pressure setup pretty good at keeping dust out of the case? I've been thinking about trying this eventually, although my case isn't really well suited for positive pressure IMO (I have 2x92mm intakes, would prefer a single 120mm for noise reasons). How often do you have to clean out the filters?
Fortunately yes! I've been running the system for over 6 months (non-stop) and I've only seen some buildup of very fine dust on the fins of all fans (CPU, GPU and case), but none anywhere else. This is probably dust that is too fine to be captured by the filters, so changing material or weave pattern could help (I'm using these foam filters: http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Filter-Gu ... B000BSN65W). I think just a little amount of this type of dust should do no harm.

The filters, however, collect a lot of dust, so I clean them once a month. If too much dust builds up, air intake is gradually blocked and pressure may revert from positive to negative eventually (but I haven't seen any sign of this so far). That's somewhat a problem for me because the two case fans (Noctua NF-S12) just barely compensate my PSU (Corsair HX520W), so the pressure inside my case is just slightly positive for now. If I get an Antec SOLO, I'd have to replace one of the two Noctua's by two 92mm fans, possibly giving me some extra pressure (I've got to check the specs though).
frostedflakes wrote: Also, those magnetic filters are a pretty neat idea, but kind of pricey. How much do those flexible magnetic strips cost at hobby stores? I bet you could buy some and make a similar filter for a lot less.
Good idea! I could even use the filters I already own if I can find magnets and a good material to build the frame. That's pretty cheap in Brazil, and probably cheaper in the US. Building the filter like this may be a bit tricky though, since it should attach to the intake holes without leaving any gaps through which dusty air could pass.

Edit: If you try positive pressure, you should use highly efficient coolers/heatsinks to compensate the reduced airflow. I'm using a Noctua NH-C12P for the CPU and a Zalman VF1000 for the GPU.

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:37 pm

I think you guys are missing one of the main benefits of the filters - they are made of "medical grade" nylon mesh. This means that only the smallest particles will get through. Much better than the foam filters or furnace filters I have used in the past.

I have been using positive air pressure for 10+ years. With these new filters I haven't noticed any dust at all in my case for the past 3-4 months.

I have to clean mine every week or so. I just wipe the dust off. You can wash them as well, but I haven't done so yet.

ftrebien

Post by ftrebien » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:05 am

Just for sharing a few links, I found this a while ago:

http://www.quietpc.com/us-en-usd/produc ... pc-filters

It appears to be very similar to DEMCifilters, also medical-grade mesh, but more expensive.

Also, here's the official DEMCifilters website:

http://www.demcifilter.com

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:57 am

You can also buy the mesh, although I don't know what size the DEMCifilters use:

embedded long URL

How's that for a link!

ftrebien

Post by ftrebien » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:27 am

Huge URL indeed! :shock:

Interesting, I haven't really cared about things such as opening and thread diameters yet. I'm quite sure that smaller openings capture finer dust and decrease airflow, and thinner threads improve airflow but might be more easily damaged. But now what to choose? The prices in that website vary a lot, even for same-sized cuts.

ftrebien

Post by ftrebien » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:31 am

Also, I've got a reply from DEMCifilter.com saying they'd make the same filters from Performance-PCs for a lower price ($5.50 for the 120mm model), and they can also make a custom-sized piece (good for my future Antec SOLO) for just $11 (184x92mm for the SOLO front fans). Shipment options and pricing would also be the same, so that's a good deal =D

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:44 pm

ftrebien wrote:Also, I've got a reply from DEMCifilter.com saying they'd make the same filters from Performance-PCs for a lower price ($5.50 for the 120mm model), and they can also make a custom-sized piece (good for my future Antec SOLO) for just $11 (184x92mm for the SOLO front fans). Shipment options and pricing would also be the same, so that's a good deal =D
Ask them what thread diameter they use. I am building a computer from an amplifier case that has a perforated top, and wouldn't mind using a layer of mesh under the top.