New HTPC Machine (preferable for Linux)

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sluggy

New HTPC Machine (preferable for Linux)

Post by sluggy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:56 pm

Hi,

I am looking to replace my Xbox (running XBMC), with an HTPC. I will be using this primarly as a thin client to watch DVDs (BluRay eventually once the prices go down), and stream HD video from a server. Reading through the forum, I've been playing around with the following specifications:

Setup A
  • Antec NSK2480
    Asus M3N78-EM
    AMD Athlon II X2 240
    Scythe Ninja Mini
    Seagate Momentus 160GB SATA 2.5"
Setup B
  • Antec Fusion Remote Black
    Seasonic SS-300SFD
    Asus M3N78-EM
    AMD Athlon II X2 240 (2.8GHz, dual core, 65 Watts TDP, 45nm)
    Scythe Ninja Mini
    Seagate Momentus 160GB SATA 2.5"
My main requirements are:
  • Very Quite (that's why I'm here)
    Able to use Linux (Might use LinuxMCE or XBMC again)
    Asthetics (black hopefully unless someone has some pics with the NSK2480 that look good with a black receiver)
    AMD (never build a Intel machine; why start now)
The main differences between the two setups are the case. I really want a black case, but for the Antec Fusion Remote Black, I'm not too interested in the supplied LCD display. Plus, I've seen a few bad reviews about this (unless the bugs have been fixed). Also, for the motherboard and CPU, I did some reading and these were recommended as good for a Linux HTPC setup (not sure if there is any later and greater hardware available).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can improve on either setup. Also, is the Antec case the way to go or does anyone have a better recommendation?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Trav1s

Post by Trav1s » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:40 am

I have the fusion remote black for my HTPC. Currently the drivers available for download play well with Win7 but I have turned off the display using the software. I too wanted a simple black-faced case and since the NSK2480 was not available in black I went with the FRB. Overall I love the case and the way things went together.

I am sorry I cannot offer suggestions on the mobo but can offer this for reference: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport ... rboardsAmd

All that being said, you might consider a version that has additional "sideport" memory dedicated video memory.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:59 am

Aside from aethetics of the cases, the only other difference is the remote ability. You would need to get a separate IR Receiver/Remote combo to work with the NSK2480. That might not actually be a bad thing as you won't be stuck with something that may or may not work well with your OS of choice.

Hezu

Re: New HTPC Machine (preferable for Linux)

Post by Hezu » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:35 pm

sluggy wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can improve on either setup.
I would certainly take some larger HDD for starters, and if you end up with either of those Antec cases, I guess 3.5" drive would be easier to install.
And regarding the CPU+motherboard combination, I would still consider also Intel CPU -based alternatives, especially since you could choose a newer Geforce 9300/9400 -based motherboard. And at least from Linux support perspective, motherboards with Intel chipsets wouldn't be impossible option either since if I have understood correctly the drivers of Intel GPUs are much more open compared to ATI and Nvidia offerings. And perhaps even Nvidia ION-platform with Intel Atom CPU might suffice for your needs.
sluggy wrote:Also, is the Antec case the way to go or does anyone have a better recommendation?
I have no better suggestions for the case, but since I own NSK2400 I think the NSK24x0/Fusion is surprisingly large when compared to many video/hifi devices...

petecool

Post by petecool » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:06 pm

Hezu wrote: I have no better suggestions for the case, but since I own NSK2400 I think the NSK24x0/Fusion is surprisingly large when compared to many video/hifi devices...
The NSK2480 is actually very close to the size of my Denon AVR-1909 (amp + source switcher). Maybe half an inch shorter (height)

There is a black version of the NSK24x0, http://images.google.ca/images?rlz=1C1G ... e&resnum=4. Has only been available in Australia/NZ as far as I can tell.

sluggy

Post by sluggy » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:22 pm

Hezu wrote:
sluggy wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can improve on either setup.
I would certainly take some larger HDD for starters, and if you end up with either of those Antec cases, I guess 3.5" drive would be easier to install.
And regarding the CPU+motherboard combination, I would still consider also Intel CPU -based alternatives, especially since you could choose a newer Geforce 9300/9400 -based motherboard. And at least from Linux support perspective, motherboards with Intel chipsets wouldn't be impossible option either since if I have understood correctly the drivers of Intel GPUs are much more open compared to ATI and Nvidia offerings. And perhaps even Nvidia ION-platform with Intel Atom CPU might suffice for your needs.
sluggy wrote:Also, is the Antec case the way to go or does anyone have a better recommendation?
I have no better suggestions for the case, but since I own NSK2400 I think the NSK24x0/Fusion is surprisingly large when compared to many video/hifi devices...
Thanks all for your comments. I was looking at the NSK2480 today and realized how large this case really is. I might look at some other options for the case. I chose this one due to all of the reviews that I've seen that indicate this case is pretty quiet option for a HTPC system.

johnnyjboss

In regards to Linux and the ASUS M3N78-EM

Post by johnnyjboss » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:27 am

I have yet to assemble mine as the parts are still arriving, but a friend of mine pointed out that the GeForce 8300 onboard is supported by VDPAU.

I'm planning the following:

SilverStone LC11SM 300 Aluminum
ASUS M3N78-EM
Zalman CNPS7000C-ALCU (possibly attempting to add the Nexus Fan)
MythTv - probably MythBuntu or Debian.
TimeWarner Cable HD Firewire capture/control

This motherboard is mATX, has 10/100/1000, nVidia 8300 and 1394 all onboard. It took me several hours of searching to find all this on a board with no VIA chipset.

suzyj

Post by suzyj » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:56 pm

My Myth box runs on a Zotac IONITX board, with dual core atom CPU and GF9300 chipset. It's able to decode and scale 1080i video easily.

I can heartily recommend the GF9300 based boards - I'm running a Zotac GF9300 core duo board in my desktop as well under Linux (ubuntu). Really good chipset, with good Linux support. Not to mention very low power.

mark19891989

Post by mark19891989 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:30 am

for a linux media pc, i would recomend moovida

http://www.moovida.com/

and a simple remote control i use a wiimote as instructed here:

http://www.moovida.com/wiki/TipsAndTric ... ndoWiimote

1 change i made is to set the B button to backspace insted of space, that way, its easy to navigate, a to sellect an item, and b to go back 1 level

moovida is still relitavly new, so there are some problems with the database and clasification of media, but you can also brows in folder view

sluggy

Post by sluggy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:00 am

suzyj wrote:My Myth box runs on a Zotac IONITX board, with dual core atom CPU and GF9300 chipset. It's able to decode and scale 1080i video easily.

I can heartily recommend the GF9300 based boards - I'm running a Zotac GF9300 core duo board in my desktop as well under Linux (ubuntu). Really good chipset, with good Linux support. Not to mention very low power.
Thanks for the recommendation. What about the noise from the fan of that board? I heard some reviews on it saying that it can get noisy. Also, do you use a usb tuner with this machine (I see that there is no PCI slot for a PCI tuner)? Is there a benefit between using a PCI tuner or a USB one?
Would I run into issues using a USB tuner on Linux?

petecool

Post by petecool » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:03 pm

sluggy wrote:Is there a benefit between using a PCI tuner or a USB one?
I remember reading posts on the Mythtv mailing list, using 4 ATSC tuners on a single (powered) USB 2 hub, with multirec (with a least 2 recordings _per_ tuner). Worked fine, don't worry about using a USB tuner. Just make sure it's well supported. You can look for more details on both those wikis:

- http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
- http://mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Video_capture_cards

You don't mention where you're from, so we don't know if you would use ATSC, DVB-T/S/C or something else?

If it's mentioned as supported on either of those Wiki's you should be fine. (Read the notes to see how involved setup is - some are more work than others!)

sluggy

Post by sluggy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:53 am

petecool wrote:
sluggy wrote:Is there a benefit between using a PCI tuner or a USB one?
I remember reading posts on the Mythtv mailing list, using 4 ATSC tuners on a single (powered) USB 2 hub, with multirec (with a least 2 recordings _per_ tuner). Worked fine, don't worry about using a USB tuner. Just make sure it's well supported. You can look for more details on both those wikis:

- http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
- http://mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Video_capture_cards

You don't mention where you're from, so we don't know if you would use ATSC, DVB-T/S/C or something else?

If it's mentioned as supported on either of those Wiki's you should be fine. (Read the notes to see how involved setup is - some are more work than others!)
I'm in North America, so I'd need an ATSC tuner. Would consider adding a DVB tuner for satellite eventually.