extension cables for monitor/mouse/keyboard

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DeltaForce

extension cables for monitor/mouse/keyboard

Post by DeltaForce » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:37 pm

I was wondering if anyone here has experience with placing a computer in another room, or around the corner indoors, and using extension cables for the monitor, keyboard, and mouse to reach a different location? For my purposes 15 feet would do it - so that the computer is in a different room from my desk. My computer is very quiet, except when under load and I have to turn the fans up.

Are there any issues with worse monitor performance if an extension DVI cable is used? And any recommendations for the part brands I would need for the mouse and keyboard (both usb)?

Any advice about this idea would be appreciated. Thanks!

lm
Friend of SPCR

Re: extension cables for monitor/mouse/keyboard

Post by lm » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:19 am

DeltaForce wrote:I was wondering if anyone here has experience with placing a computer in another room, or around the corner indoors, and using extension cables for the monitor, keyboard, and mouse to reach a different location? For my purposes 15 feet would do it - so that the computer is in a different room from my desk. My computer is very quiet, except when under load and I have to turn the fans up
Mine is in a small walk-in closet next to my study, using exactly this approach. The PC and the display are connected using a 5 meter (16.4 feet) Dual Link DVI cable (I need Dual Link for 2560x1600 resolution).
DeltaForce wrote: Are there any issues with worse monitor performance if an extension DVI cable is used?
Because the connection is digital, IF the cable and/or connectors are not broken, there should be absolutely no performance degradation. If you would notice any kind of problems, your cable would be faulty and need to be refunded.

In practice I haven't noticed any problems in one year of running my setup like this.

USB, on the other hand, has maximum length of 5m because there are hard bounds on the round-trip delay of signals, set by the USB standard. Because the mouse and keyboard have some cable themselves, the exteension cord can't be 5 meters itself, but instead you need to get for example 3 meter long extension cables for them, so that the combined length is at most 5 meters.

DeltaForce wrote: And any recommendations for the part brands I would need for the mouse and keyboard (both usb)?
Dedicated PC parts stores take an arm and a leg for cables. I recommend you to buy them from some general electronics store, which are far cheaper for PC cables too. I saved a lot of money this way.

It does not matter squat which cables you buy. All the communications are digital, I've never had any problems with them. Just get the cheapest that is long enough.

DVI cables are rated for the maximum resolutions they allow, Dual Link should allow 2560x1600 @ 60Hz, and Single Link 1920x1080 @ 60Hz. So just check that your cable is rated for your resolution, and all is fine. And usb cable needs to be rated for usb 2 (I don't know if they even have any other variety any more).

This is a very nice way to make your computer more quiet cheaply. As an added benefit, your study becomes more tidy, if you manage to route the cables nicely.

Pgh

Post by Pgh » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:00 pm

Try doing a search on "DVI extender"

There are probably hundreds of products that do this in several different ways. Everything from long cables that are high enough quality that the signal degrades less for a given length... to fiber optic extenders that will let you have a DVI connection that is several thousand feet long.

There are also wireless DVI extenders.

DeltaForce

Post by DeltaForce » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:12 pm

Thanks for the input Im and Pgh.

Couple more questions:

-The audio out jack, which is a standard headphone - is the 3.5 MM type of cable extension correct?

-Im, you mention usb's maximum of 5 meters. If the mouse is 6 feet and the cable is 10 - that comes to about 5 meters. Will the usb connection work okay at the maximum? Or should I aim for less than 16 feet?

-Also which is a better way to go with the modem. Should I get an ethernet cable extender, or get extra cable tv type of cable which goes into the modem. Or does it even matter?

Thanks!

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:37 pm

My only suggestion would look into a powered USB hub for that...I've actually encountered problems where a USB cable was so long that it would keep my iPod touch on, but wouldn't charge the battery at all.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:21 am

DeltaForce wrote:Thanks for the input Im and Pgh.

Couple more questions:

-The audio out jack, which is a standard headphone - is the 3.5 MM type of cable extension correct?
The headphone plug is also called the 3.5mm plug. So the answer is yes, even though your sentence is a bit hard to parse for me.

If you have the option of connecting your PC and amplifier by s/pdif instead, that would guarantee that the longer cabling just can't affect audio quality at all. If not, just go for your current plan with no hesitation. My audio signal cable is 3.5mm plug - 5m cable - 2xRCA plugs and it's ok (my amp has no s/pdif in).
DeltaForce wrote: -Im, you mention usb's maximum of 5 meters. If the mouse is 6 feet and the cable is 10 - that comes to about 5 meters. Will the usb connection work okay at the maximum? Or should I aim for less than 16 feet?
I just measured my mouse cable, which is about 215cm (7 feet). My USB extension cable is 3m (10 feet). I've experienced no problems in one year of using them like this.

So if you need the max, go for the max. But the extension cord should set you back by about two dollars.
DeltaForce wrote: -Also which is a better way to go with the modem. Should I get an ethernet cable extender, or get extra cable tv type of cable which goes into the modem. Or does it even matter?
Your terminology is weird. You definitely don't want an "ethernet cable extender", instead you want to replace the short ethernet cable with a long ethernet cable. The device you are talking about sounds like something that needs a power supply and has electronics in it.

Actually this is the most important of your questions. The total length of ethernet cabling between your modem and computer can be 100 meters, so practically if you do not live in a mansion then you could just think it's unlimited. There's plenty of room to route the ethernet cable as nicely out of the way as you need.

However cable modems are very picky on the cable line. The existing cable line from the "telecommunications devices room" (whatever that is called in english) to your wall jack is already probably far from perfect, and extending it more will reduce your signal quality and might affect connection speed and stability.

So extend the ethernet cable rather than the cable cable.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:22 am

Pgh wrote:Try doing a search on "DVI extender"

There are probably hundreds of products that do this in several different ways. Everything from long cables that are high enough quality that the signal degrades less for a given length... to fiber optic extenders that will let you have a DVI connection that is several thousand feet long.

There are also wireless DVI extenders.
I'd go for the long passive cable if possible, because it is cheapest and introduces no input lag.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:24 am

bonestonne wrote:My only suggestion would look into a powered USB hub for that...I've actually encountered problems where a USB cable was so long that it would keep my iPod touch on, but wouldn't charge the battery at all.
So how long is that? Of course if your cable is a lot longer than max allowed by USB specifications, then you are bound to have problems. But if we are just guessing the length, it only imposes unnecessary fear on us.

Also, an usb hub would introduce input lag.

I don't know if input lag is any concern for the OP, but it is relevant in games that require fast reflexes.

Pgh

Post by Pgh » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:45 am

There are USB extenders too:

http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Extenders.html

DeltaForce

Post by DeltaForce » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:33 pm

Thanks again for the help.

Im, that was a good answer about the ethernet cable. I'm going to get a longer ethernet cable rather than extend the cable-tv type of cable between the wall and modem.

The last point I am unsure about is whether usb cables can extend longer than 5 meters without any input lag? I am assuming powered usb extenders that allow for longer lengths may have some input lag? I will only need the usb extensions for the mouse and keyboard; my other components (printer, scanner) will be near the computer. Having no input lag is very important to me, so it seems 5 meters is it? Is this true?

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:44 am

Unfortunately I don't know how much input lag an usb extender would introduce. The amount might be unnoticeable. Technically speaking it has to introduce some, but it might just as well be some ridiculously small amount.

I guess you could try it out by borrowing an usb hub from somebody and putting it between your mouse and pc and see if you get less perfect headshots :)