Can anyone recommend a good dust filter?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

TailsNZ

Can anyone recommend a good dust filter?

Post by TailsNZ » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:28 pm

I'm building a custom PC case, and at the front will be a 12cm fan. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good dust filter?

I see this one seems to be common online:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... &viewitem=

I wonder if you have any thoughts on noise impact from putting a dust filter right in front of the fan? Either way I'm sure it's better than a dusty computer.

Thanks!

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:03 pm

maybe retrofit something similar to the scythe kama bay?

the filter seems very restrictive, moreso by the plastic holder than the filter material.

reddyuday
Patron of SPCR

Re: Can anyone recommend a good dust filter?

Post by reddyuday » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:42 pm

TailsNZ wrote: I wonder if you have any thoughts on noise impact from putting a dust filter right in front of the fan? Either way I'm sure it's better than a dusty computer.
You mean, dust filter right behind the fan?

I think it is a good idea to avoid dust filters unless they are really necessary for your environment. Fan fins suck air from behind and blow it forward. If it is not easy to get the air from behind, then they will end up recirculating the air that is already inside the case. I am sure that Akasa and Nexus do the best job they can but they can't do magic. Kama Bay might be a good design because it encases the fan and filter and, thereby, obstructs the recirculation of the inside air.

I think that, if a case has good air flow, the amount of dust that settles inside is relatively small. I always get surprised how little dust there is inside my case. (But I shouldn't generalize. I live in humid England in a quiet residential area.) I would think that it is a lot more hassle to clean the dust filter than to air-dust the case periodically.

I can't think of anything inside a computer case that is particularly sensitive to dust. Chips and PCBs are not. The drives are sealed. So the only things that might go bad in a dusty computer are the fans!

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:41 am

dust buildup prevents heat dissipation. Conveniently, dust buildup occurs most around fans, and that's on active heatsinks, such as CPU, and also inside the PSU. Dust is a killer in that sense, so it does need to be addressed in most cases.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:23 pm

Hi,

No matter what you do, you have to clean the dust periodically.