First HTPC, please advice

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

KMS

First HTPC, please advice

Post by KMS » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:48 am

I am trying to gather components to my first HTPC. The main use is watching movies (HD and SD), internet surffing and listening to music. My wife also plays Sims3 and the HTPC should easily do Sims3 (with future additional packages) and also do easily Sims4 (I am sure they release sooner or later). HTPC will be placed in the living room and therefore it should be veru silent.

I have planned to build the HTPC inside Antec Fusion Remote Black chassi, which takes microATX motherboards. I will use Noctua or Nexus real silent chassi fans. Also, I have planned that I do not buy a separate graphic card yet because only a few cards really can deal with HD sounds (DD HD and DTS HD) via hdmi. Therefore, at first I will rely on the motherboard integrated graphic card, and buy a separate graphic card later.

Now, the main thing is to choose the processor and motherboard. I have preliminarily thought the following processors:

AMD Athlon II x4 620
AMD Phenom II x2 550BE

Please advice if those processors are any good to HTPC use or are they too heavy (using too much power). Please also suggest better alternatives for HTPC processors, if any.

In case I choose AMD AM3 processor, one alternative for motherboard is MSI 785GM-E65. However, please also give your comments and recommendations for alternative motherboard.

Thanks in advance!

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:16 am

Not that the Fusion case should have any problem cooling a 90W TDP CPU quietly, but AMD just released a new lineup of 45W TDP Athlons.

b_rubenstein

Post by b_rubenstein » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:20 pm

AVS Forums probably has the best thread on this subject on the net here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940972

neljeffz

Post by neljeffz » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:50 am

Sunrise wrote:Not that the Fusion case should have any problem cooling a 90W TDP CPU quietly, but AMD just released a new lineup[/url] of 45W TDP Athlons.
i much like the AMD

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:38 am

Frankly speaking, I think X2 series like 250/245/240e/235e is better suited for HTPC usage. Lower power consumption and fast enough performance for HTPC regardless.

As for mobo choice, what type of audio do you plan on outputting? 5.1PCM channel? or Dollby DTS? Because it would deeplyinfluence mobo choice for HTPC.

KMS

Post by KMS » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:06 pm

loimlo wrote:Frankly speaking, I think X2 series like 250/245/240e/235e is better suited for HTPC usage. Lower power consumption and fast enough performance for HTPC regardless.

As for mobo choice, what type of audio do you plan on outputting? 5.1PCM channel? or Dollby DTS? Because it would deeplyinfluence mobo choice for HTPC.
Thanks for your response. Yes I think AMD Ahtlon II X2 240e would be a better choice, or maybe X4 600e.

The HTPC should handle all kind of audio, but I have understood that it is diffucult (and impossible with an integrated graphic card) to have DD-HD and DTS-HD sounds as a bit stream to the receiver. So I have do buy something for that later.

The set I am planning now is the following:

- Antec Fusion Remote Black
- 1-2 * Noctua NF-S12B ULN OR Nexus Real Silent 120mm
- MSI 785GM-E65
- 4 Gb DDR3 (cheapest possible)
- Athlon II X2 240e
- Scythe SCMNJ-1000 Ninja Mini (passive)
- Nexus Value 430 PSU
- Samsung 1TB SpinPoint 3.5" F3, SATAII, 32MB, 7200RPM
- LG Blu-Ray 8x SATA (reader only)

Any ideas/comments?

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:52 am

Very balanced system specs. Still, slower and quieter HDD like WD Green, Seagate LP, or Samsung EcoGreen may be better tailored for HTPC usage. Just my two cents.

KMS

Post by KMS » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:22 am

loimlo wrote:Very balanced system specs. Still, slower and quieter HDD like WD Green, Seagate LP, or Samsung EcoGreen may be better tailored for HTPC usage. Just my two cents.
I will look into those HDDs.

Also, I just find out that Sims3 with full settings is not properly working with the integrated GPU of the mobo. And according to my wife, that cannot be the case. :roll: Therefore, I have to choose a separate GPU for the HTPC as well. It would be highly preferable to have a GPU that is passive.

Do you have ideas for passive Radeon 5xxx or 4xxx series GPUs, and that can be fitted in Antec Fusion (mATX) and with maximum budget of EUR 150? I have understood that Radeon 5xxx series is the only one that can handle DD HD and DTS HD sounds as bit stream to the receiver.

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:06 am

KMS wrote:
loimlo wrote:Very balanced system specs. Still, slower and quieter HDD like WD Green, Seagate LP, or Samsung EcoGreen may be better tailored for HTPC usage. Just my two cents.
I will look into those HDDs.

Also, I just find out that Sims3 with full settings is not properly working with the integrated GPU of the mobo. And according to my wife, that cannot be the case. :roll: Therefore, I have to choose a separate GPU for the HTPC as well. It would be highly preferable to have a GPU that is passive.

Do you have ideas for passive Radeon 5xxx or 4xxx series GPUs, and that can be fitted in Antec Fusion (mATX) and with maximum budget of EUR 150? I have understood that Radeon 5xxx series is the only one that can handle DD HD and DTS HD sounds as bit stream to the receiver.
Sims3 is a no-brainer for 4670. Just get a passive cooling 4670. I've been running Sims3 flawlessly with full settings under 1680x1050 resolution.

KMS

Post by KMS » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:57 am

Does HD 4670 handle DD and DTS HD sounds properly? I am sure it cannot handle them as bitstream, but otherwise? What about normal (non-HD) DD and DTS sounds as bit stream?

Another alternative would be HD 4850 I quess, but it has the same problem with the sounds, with more power of course.