My shopping cart, your expertise

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

starzinger

My shopping cart, your expertise

Post by starzinger » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:06 am

Hey everyone!

For a while now I've been meaning to set up a PC that which wouldn't make much noise - as little as possible, preferrably. The main use would be graphic design and music work, so the rig doesn't have to boast too much oomph in regard of running games. I would however like to be able to watch 1080p movies without a care.

A countryman of mine from here thejamppa was kind enough to compile a profile for a quiet PC, but as it's been more than few months since he did it I was wondering if you folks could suggest possible upgrades for my list - or suggest something that'd suit me better. I suppose I will make it a Windows 7 platform.

In addition to the "big parts" below, I guess I'll go with Noctua fans since they seem to be lauded.

Case: Antec Solo P150
Motherboard: Asus P5Q Pro
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300
Memory: Corsair XMS2 TwinX 4GB
Power: Nexus Value 430W 80+ Active PFC 12CM
HD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 640GB SATA

There were AMD alternatives listed but I've been told that Intel is the way to go... any real truth in that? I don't have a preference but AMD seems to be slightly cheaper.

The AMD parts were:

AMD Phenom II X4 905e
Asus M4A78-E AM3/AM2+

I have a Nexus Breeze case currently and I've been thinking if I should build the new rig in there. However, I'm not sure if the case meets any real standards when considering a good silent case - the "stuffing" doesn't really seem to be worth bearing with the size of the case - and I am more than a bit put off by the sheer size of the bastard.

I don't plan to do any overclocking. I just need a good workstation that which is able to pass for an entertainment station also.

Thanks in advance!

rhys j

Post by rhys j » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:08 am

Do you really need a quad-core processor? For most applications a dual-core processor will be quicker due to the higher clock speed, use less power, and is less expensive. An E8400 will do you just fine... or an E7400 if you can find one is just as good.

I'd go for the newer Spinpoint F3 drive, which is probably quieter and faster.

The Nocutua fans are apparently good but are overpriced IMO, with the Nexus fans of similar performance and a third of the the price. Whatever you get, go for low RPM models... I got 1000 rpm ones and have to slow them with a fan controller.

Graphics card?

psiu

Post by psiu » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:24 am

Points for AMD--cheaper total cost, generally better integrated graphics (which are plenty good enough for your needs).
Points for Intel--faster overall, get some modern integrated graphics (X4500 HD I think?) and you will, again, be just fine.
If you don't need all the expansion slots, a mATX board will suit you fine, the rest of the setup looks pretty good btw.

oh and WELCOME TO SPCR! :D

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:11 am

Welcome to SPCR!

What graphics design apps are you using and what does "music work" mean? Is this light duty hobby kind of stuff or your job? (It's speed vs price point :D)

Could be that a low power dual core with an integrated gpu on the mobo will suit your needs..or could be that a quad core and a dedicated gpu card for acceleration will work.

judge56988
Friend of SPCR

Post by judge56988 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:17 am

I too have a Nexus Breeze case; it's pretty quiet with a low power system that's not working too hard but the drawback is (as you will be aware) that all the exhaust goes through the psu. When I'm doing any video encoding the fan noise ramps up a lot on both cpu and psu. I've had it 5 years and actually bought a Silverstone FT01 on e-bay just last week for a new build.
No chance that I will re-use the Breeze. It is big and ugly too (IMO) but does have good sound absorbing panels and a bottom 120mm intake (very quiet Nexus fan). All it really needs is a rear exhaust but the design makes it pretty hard to mod.
I've seen a couple of them on e-bay lately and there has been no interest whatsoever so I think that mine will go to the skip.

The Solo seems like a good idea.

Meato

Post by Meato » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:52 am

What about the mATX route?

Antec Mini P180
Nexus Value 430
MSI 785GM-E65
AMD Athlon II x4 600e(45W)/605e(45W)/620(95W-Undervolt)
4GB DDR3
Samsung F3 500GB/1TB
Xigmatek or Scythe top-down heatsink

starzinger

Post by starzinger » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:13 pm

What graphics design apps are you using and what does "music work" mean? Is this light duty hobby kind of stuff or your job?
It's 2D graphics. Corel Painter and Photoshop mostly. Music work could be translated into composing music and sound engineering. I'm currently going through proper sound cards to pick one.
Do you really need a quad-core processor?
This is something I've been thinking too. Could save around 50% of the processor's price with dual core. I don't usually have a lot of programs going at the same time, or at least not the heaviest "main programs".
What about the mATX route?
I know even less of those machines. Can you fit fans inside properly if you happen to have a separate sound card and video card?

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:13 am

Good choice of parts. Get rid of that quad and you're god to go !

You can use some of the money you save on the CPU to get a little GPU maybe.

psiu

Post by psiu » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:31 am

yeah mATX you can still fit fans inside :)

They are just *shorter*, they have less expansion slots. See if any of your Photoshop work can be video-card accelerated, I think the Nvidias can help with that. I think an Intel (dual?) and Nvidia card might work good but you will want to research that.

starzinger

Post by starzinger » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:37 am

The order has left the house, thanks everyone :)

I've been thinking of getting a separate PC for gaming and I guess that you really can't talk about a silent pc in that context.

Anyways, I hear that Intel's i5 has best bang for your buck? Any idea about the most ideal motherboard, memory? Coolers?

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:35 pm

Hello Again!

Almost any cooler these days comes with Core i7 or core i5 support. Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and its clones are very good solutions for Core i's. There isn't much difference in memories. Almost any brand gives life time warranty. Since you don't go overclocking Kingston Value might be good choice... as is Mushkin, A-Data, Corsair, Buffalo etc...

Xigmatek's fan's are not bad but you should check Akasa Apache PWM or Scythe Kama-PWM ( you need to Open Scythe's corner though ) for fan cooler.

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3 or Asus P7P55D-LE seem good motherboard's for i5's and can be obtained well less than 130€'s making them one of the cheapest i5 board's but still having plenty feature's.

And throw some nice Ati HD 5750 or 5770 with that (when available) and you got excellent and powerful gaming computer without breaking the bank.

House them in Antec 300 Case with fan's changed and you get plenty silent cooling force. My game rig in 300 is very, very quiet. I've modded it pretty heavily but with fan's changed (Nexus or Scythe Slipstream / Gentle Typhoon's and good 140mm fan like Sharkoon 900 RPM 140mm ) its pretty darn quiet.