Advice on CPU and HSF for 9300 ITX based build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Shriek

Advice on CPU and HSF for 9300 ITX based build

Post by Shriek » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:00 pm

Looks like I may finally be able to build a new PC soon. This time around I'm looking at an ITX build--I like my old Antec 3700 rig, but it's big, it's heavy, and those qualities aren't conducive to being retired to a living room PC. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

Zotac GF9300-G-E
Silverstone Sugo SG05
Existing HDD (Spinpoint 500GB)
Pioneer Slot DVD Burner DVR-TS08
4GB RAM
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E6500
Arctic ? HSF

I really haven't paid any attention to processors in ages, so the E6500 is just a stab in the dark. I'm vaguely feeling that the virtualization support might be useful for running XP under Windows7, but maybe I'm overestimating its usefulness, and I'd be better off saving the money and going with an E5200 or some such. I'm assuming that even that would be a large jump from my current A64 3000...

I know that the Alpine 7 Pro is a popular choice, but I haven't heard much about the similar options available from Arctic, namely the Freezer 7 LP, the Alpine 7 GT, and the Alpine 11 Pro, which are all in the same price range. Would any of these be a preferable option to the 7 Pro?

ajira99

Post by ajira99 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:03 am

I have a E6750 in the living room HTPC that I'm transplanting into the Sugo SG05 (from an Apex MI-008). I can 't give you the temperature data (yet), but you shouldn't have too many problems with a E6500. I can tell you that most of the builds I've seen based on the SG05 and the Zotac 9300 (on HardOCP and AVSforum) are using an E5x00 CPU, and either a Coolermaster GeminIIs with a quiet 120mm x 20mm fan or a Thermalright AXP-140.

I had a Thermaltake MeOrb (CPU) and a Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II (MPU) in the Apex case and it was very cool-running and quiet (picoPSU replacing the stock PSU), but I wanted a bit more working room in the case.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:56 pm

If you can spare the extra cash, going with a picoPSU over the stock PSU that comes with the Sugo would be a good idea. That way, you would be left with a lot more vertical room above the CPU socket, allowing you to use a smaller tower heatsink, like the Ninja Mini, the Noctua NH-U9B or one of the Arctic Cooling tower-style heatsinks.

The SPCR review of the Sugo-05 states that the PSU reaches 22 dBA at 0.6m. The included fan is not the quietest either, so you might want to look at replacing it as well.

You might also want to see if it is possible to suspend your hard drive in there somewhere, instead of screwing it directly into the hard drive cage.

Shriek

Post by Shriek » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:31 am

I had initially dismissed getting a PicoPSU just because I have a hard time justifying getting a brand new PSU with the case and not using it, but as the PSU fan in my current rig is dying, I may just use it there.

If I do go with a PicoPSU, I'm not sure what I'd do for a HSF. A Minja would be great, but I'm not sure I can handle a 20% rise in the cost of the system. Gonna need to do some more digging there.

I'm also thinking that maybe the E6300 is at a better performance/price point at the moment, so that may help.

Shriek

Post by Shriek » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:35 pm

FYI, the Alpine 11 Pro doesn't fit on this MB unless your RAM is much shorter than usual.