Upgrade Lian-Li system or new system+case?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

moritz

Upgrade Lian-Li system or new system+case?

Post by moritz » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:28 pm

I'm thinking of spending some money on my system sometime in December. Right now I can't decide whether I want to go for a new system or upgrade my existing rig, though I'm leaning towards the latter. The most expensive component will be the same in both cases, I'm looking to get an 80 GB Intel SSD. I'm hoping for an overall improvement in responsiveness with it.

I'm running a C2D E6300 (1.86 GHz), Nvidia 9600 GT, 6 GB RAM, Seasonic S12.

The thing is I'm unhappy with my case, it's an old-school Lian Li PC-60, bought in the fairly short period when I was already interested in good PC hardware but not yet wise enough to pay particular attention to silent components everywhere. (That also explains the two LED light strips on the front, now disabled. *groan*) Out of the box the case is just terrible, the fans are incredibly loud -- even back then I was shocked. At the moment the only fan running is the exhaust fan (near the CPU, controlled via mainboard), the other 3 (!) case fans aren't connected to anything. The thing still rattles and hums for mysterious reasons all the time and bugs the hell out of me; and I've never came close to using its enormous space. The S12 isn't a great fit for the case, either, a PSU with a straight air path would let me rig up a nice dedicated air channel (however, the PSU is still very quiet). The case still looks pretty good, though. ;) Apart from the swanky, non-illuminated LED strips, anyway.

I briefly considered getting a new case and run the current system (+SSD) in it, but I'm pretty sure my next mainboard will be uATX and I'll want a seriously smaller case to go along with it, buying a new ATX case at this point just seems like a waste.

So that's where I'm at.

Option 1 is buying something like the fastest CPU my mainboard will support, which isn't a whole lot faster than an E6300; I think support tops out at around 2.66 Quad (exactly zero of the 45nm Core 2s are supported, which is a shame), but on the upside those CPUs are cheap and overclock well, so it should be a moderate, inexpensive update. Together with an SSD, I am very confident that the system would be more than fast enough to last another year or two. If I do this, I'd like to spend some time (and a bit of money) optimising the case, which I guess means making it heavier for starters.

Option 2 is getting rid CPU, mainboard, RAM, and the case, and building a new uATX system, keeping the graphics card and the PSU. Maybe I could find a way to re-use the RAM, that'd be nice (CPU-Z says its 2x1GB of PC2-5300 and 2x2GB of PC2-6400 modules, FWIW). This is the much more expensive option, obviously, but what's worse that it seems unnecessary, since I'd inevitably buy a whole lot of power which I don't really need, and I'm not sure if I'd end up finding a good use for the old components.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:45 pm

What do you use mainly your system for? Do you really need a quad core or are you just future proofing your system in some way?

If you don't mind going for an AMD-based system, you could look into finding a AM3/DDR2 based mATX motherboard for a new system. I think the 785G (or maybe even 780G) chipsets would fit the bill. Asus and Gigabyte both make some good mATX motherboards using these chipsets. You might want to be careful about what RAM the 785G boards take though. Choose whatever CPU is compatible and suits your needs.

Add a good compatible CPU heatsink (Scythe Mugen 2 comes to mind) and throw your system into a Silverstone TJ08 (front and rear 120mm fans, with removable motherboard tray) with replacement quiet 120mm fans, suspend your HDDs if you want to keep some storage in addition to your planned shiny new SSD and you'd be good to go.

If you don't want to keep the RAM, look into an Intel P55-based system (Gigabyte does some mATX P55 mobos) with a i5 750 or 860 (depending on your budget) as the centre of the system, with some DDR3 and a good CPU cooler thrown in.

If you wanted to go the first route, get the fastest CPU your mobo will support and move your system into an Antec Solo case instead.

My $0.02 anyway. :)

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:02 am

Were I you, I'd pruchase an used Q6600 and OC it to 3.3~3.5G for far better performance compared to your E6300. Also, here comes the saving of time and money.

Just my two cents.