Antec NSK3480 users -- what CD/DVD drive?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

expatCanuck

Antec NSK3480 users -- what CD/DVD drive?

Post by expatCanuck » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:47 pm

After reviewing the review, I'm inclined to get an NSK3480 case,
but I'm concerned about lack of space for a CD/DVD drive.

Drive length doesn't appear to be specified by online merchants.

I'd welcome recommendations.

Thanks.

- Richard

RoGuE

Post by RoGuE » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:17 pm

You can fit two, 5.25" drives in this case. Lengths are somewhat standardized..there's rarely a need to perform measurements for a component like a PSU or DVD drive. Graphics cards are not so standardized in size, so some are too long for many older cases.

You will be fine to install up to two optical drives in this case.

expatCanuck

Post by expatCanuck » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:38 pm

RoGuE wrote:You can fit two, 5.25" drives in this case. Lengths are somewhat standardized..there's rarely a need to perform measurements for a component like a PSU or DVD drive ...
Ummm ... from the SPCR review (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article763-page4.html):

While the larger power supply is more convenient for replacement, it does come at the cost of space in the upper chamber. Antec states that optical drives longer than 6.9" are incompatible with the NSK-3480, but even our short 6.5" drive was a tight fit.[/quote]

baconandeggs

Post by baconandeggs » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:01 am

if its any help, i gave up trying to fit a ASUS DRW-1814BLT sata drive with a CORSAIR 520HX in the NSK3480

i'm now back to using the stock PSU (EA380) which can fit the DVDRW drive fine and theres plenty of clearance for the cables

whatever you end up doing make sure you consider the length of the cables/plug that will go into the DVDRW drive and also any cables from the PSU that may interfere with the drive fitting.

petecool

Post by petecool » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:40 am

You could get a Nexus Value 430 which has shorter length to make sure to have enough space. It is 23mm shorter than ATX spec.

I have a Zalman 460B-APS (standard ATX length) with an LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray reader in my NSK3480 and it fits, but I had to find right-angle SATA and power cinnectors... and the connectors still touch the power supply!

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:04 pm

I have an NEC 3540A DVD+/-RW Drive in my Antec 3480. It's pretty tight in there, but I think any standard optical drive will fit.

Longer than normal drives will probably cause problems. In addition, if you are installing two 5.25 drives, right angle plugs and/or shorter drives would make things alot easier.