Antec Minuet build: choice of CPU and cooler

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

norman-ramsey

Antec Minuet build: choice of CPU and cooler

Post by norman-ramsey » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:18 pm

I'm looking to build an HTPC in an Antec Minuet case. I will be running Linux and I want Nvidia's VDPAU support for HD video, so I will be getting a GT 210 card (fanless) which will be an additional source of heat in the case.

I would like advice about which CPU to purchase and how best to cool it.

Regarding the CPU I am considering either
  • * AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7GHz single-core CPU, attractive because of its 45W thermal design power, and also its $36 list price
    * AMD Athlon II X1 Regor, which costs just a little more ($53) but adds an extra core
My understanding is that it's the same die, same process, same chip, but the Sempron ships with one core disabled.

I'd like to know, if I get the dual-core CPU, what implications will that have for actual power consumption and heat dissipation?

Second (related) question is about cooling. I can identify very few
small coolers on the recommended list.
  • * The Scythe Ninja Mini is discontinued. Is there an obvious successor?
    * The Scythe Big Shuriken looks like it will be hell to install. Is the smaller Shuriken good enough?
    * How will my choice of CPU affect my choice of cooler?
Thanks for any and all help. I've built quite a few quiet desktop machines, but without my Scythe Ninja or Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, I'm at a bit of a loss for coolers :-)

psiu

Post by psiu » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:44 am

As far as the Mini Ninja...the obvious successor is the Scythe Mini Ninja, rev B. :D Newegg has it listed on their site with a February ETA.

boost

Post by boost » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:58 am

As far as the Ninja Mini it's 115mm high, the Antec Minuet is 94mm high.
Both CPU are very power efficient, the difference under load is 5-10 watts.
I remember the Big Shuriken being a few degrees cooler than the Shuriken. Both should work well with such a cool chip, I recommend the Big Shuriken for one simple reason, you can always find another silent 120mm replacement fan, with a 100mm model this is not as easy.

norman-ramsey

Post by norman-ramsey » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:19 am

boost wrote: Both CPU are very power efficient, the difference under load is 5-10 watts.
Thanks for that info. I think with only 5-10W penalty I may go for the extra core. It will come in handy if I want to do some transcoding.
boost wrote: I remember the Big Shuriken being a few degrees cooler than the Shuriken. Both should work well with such a cool chip, I recommend the Big Shuriken [because you can always find another silent 120mm replacement fan].
I'm worried about the difficulty of the installation quoted in the review of the Big Shuriken, especially if I go with a 2-slot motherboard and the Big Shuriken crowds out one slot---then I am in trouble.