Quiet build for Photoshop/3D same as for gaming?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

BluepointVance

Quiet build for Photoshop/3D same as for gaming?

Post by BluepointVance » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:16 pm

I'm trying to build a quiet/Silent PC for Photoshop CS4/5 and working with a few 3D design programs (Vue, C4d, Maya) and I'm wondering if I can just follow the advice I've been reading for building a gaming rig... or if there is a better path to take if I have no interest in gaming on the system.

So far, I've been thinking along these lines for a Windows 7 64bit machine:

-Intel Core i7-860 2.8ghz Quad

-ASUS P7P55D-E Pro motherboard

-Intel X25-M 80GB - G2 (for the OS)

-Western Digital 1.5tb green (for data/whatever)

-Antec 1200 case

-Corsair Dominator 8gb (4x2gb) DDR3 1600

-ASUS EN9600GT SILENT Graphics card (CUDA enabled for CS4)

Then for the power supply I was thinking either:

- SeaSonic X650 Gold

or

- Nexus NX-5000

But the more I look at a system like this, I wonder if I'm not doing it wrong. I have no intention of adding a second graphics card later -- so heat wise, am I a little overkill with an open style case like the 1200 or even the antec 902..?

Could I easily make this system quieter? Should I be looking at something like the Antex P183 for a case?

Any advice much appreciated,
BluepointVance

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:01 pm

I can't speak as to working with Photoshop and 3D design programs, so this is limited to building a quiet system based on your suggested components.

For the system you want to build, a P183 or even an Antec Solo would be a better case choice.

Add a good aftermarket heatsink for your CPU (Prolimatech, Thermalright or Scythe have some pretty good socket 1156 heatsinks) and some quiet fans (Nexus or Scythe are good brands) and a fan controller to your case of choice and you would be good to go.

The X650 would be overkill for your power needs, but may be attractive for its silent fan-off mode at lower power draws. From your components, it is unlikely that you would get near the 300W mark that the fan in the X650 turned on unless your system was at near-full CPU and GPU load when rendering etc. Otherwise, the Nexus seems to be a good choice if you want to keep costs down.

Rucker

Post by Rucker » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:30 pm

I just rebuilt my DAW to allow better video work and found that with the Nexus Value 430 I ran up against a 12V rail limitation. The 9600GT and 9800GT require 24A on the 12V rail, exceeding the 20A provided by the Nexus. May or may not be a real issue, but I went with the HIS 4670 as I already had the PSU. Starting from scratch you can prioritize easier.

boost

Post by boost » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:02 pm

The Nexus 430 has four 12 volt lines, probably not seperate ones. Total combined power draw on all of them cannot exceed 396 watts /12 volts = 33 amps.
http://www.nexustek.nl/NXS-Nexus-VALUE- ... 30watt.htm
A quality 400 watt PSU can supply enough power for almost any system with a single graphic card, heavily overclocked systems excluded. You can use the Nexus 430.

A passive graphic card needs some ventilation, an intake fan in the front of the case should do.
You should read JamieG's post for good quiet components and the recommended fan list to complete your build.

BluepointVance

Post by BluepointVance » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:01 am

Thanks for all the advice. Seems like I should be doing a little research on aftermarket fans.

One question:
JamieG wrote:For the system you want to build, a P183 or even an Antec Solo would be a better case choice.
Does this mean that a P183 or Antec Solo would actually be quieter than going with something like the Antec 1200? Or just a better fit for the components I listed?

Thanks again.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:44 am

Hello,
BluepointVance wrote:Does this mean that a P183 or Antec Solo would actually be quieter than going with something like the Antec 1200? Or just a better fit for the components I listed?
I don't think the 1200 is going to be a quiet case -- it has way too many open grills, and does not have panel dampening. Very little about it would lend itself to quiet operation. The P183 has 3-layer side panels, and a separate chamber for the PSU, and the front air intake has an indirect sound path. The Solo has built in hard drive suspension (which is unique), and it has 2-layer side panels, and also has an indirect sound path in the front bezel.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:33 am

Your load power will be in the 120W range +/-20W. The X-650 is a tad more efficient than the Nexus 5000, but not a lot. Both will be quiet/silent, the Nexus is cheaper.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:18 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello,
BluepointVance wrote:Does this mean that a P183 or Antec Solo would actually be quieter than going with something like the Antec 1200? Or just a better fit for the components I listed?
I don't think the 1200 is going to be a quiet case -- it has way too many open grills, and does not have panel dampening. Very little about it would lend itself to quiet operation. The P183 has 3-layer side panels, and a separate chamber for the PSU, and the front air intake has an indirect sound path. The Solo has built in hard drive suspension (which is unique), and it has 2-layer side panels, and also has an indirect sound path in the front bezel.
In addition to what Neil said, the 1200 has the big 200mm fan at the top, which is going to be another limiting factor in how quiet the case will be, as to get this fan really quiet, you will have to supply it with 7V or 5V via the molex connector rather than 12V, as even on low this fan is not that quiet.

Besides some dampened panels and indirect sound paths like the Solo and P183, there is not too much a case itself can do to make a system quiet - it is more about the components and fans you put in the system. These cases are just more suited to a quiet system than the 1200 is.

FWIW, a lot of the quiet recommended fans are of the 120mm variety, although there are some 140mm, 92mm and 80mm models that can be quiet.

danimal

Post by danimal » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:45 pm

with a p183 case, you could also evaluate the antec cp-850 power supply, it might be better bang for the buck(??).

nice choice of parts, although i'd be looking at a more modern video card.

BluepointVance

Post by BluepointVance » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:22 am

Thanks again for all the help!

Checked out the Antec P183 -- and I think I'll go with that based on all the advice here... And also maybe a smaller (and cheaper!) power supply.
danimal wrote:nice choice of parts, although i'd be looking at a more modern video card.
Is there one you'd recommend..? Really just looking for something quiet/silent with CUDA for Photoshop cs4/5 acceleration... And maybe some OpenGL oomph for 3D modeling work.

danimal

Post by danimal » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:09 am

ati 5xxx is the hot ticket these days, but that won't help with cuda.

nvidia pricing is farked up right now, they are overcharging for anything that is remotely competitive with 5xxx, because 5xxx is new and overpriced itself.

how does the gtx240(250?) stack up against the 9600gt?