Advice on HW for "simple" file server appreciated

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

js

Advice on HW for "simple" file server appreciated

Post by js » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:42 am

Hi,

I have a simple server for storing files and browsing pictures and music through a web interface. The current spec is as

Ubuntu server 64
Gigabyte MA78G-DS3 mobo
AMD Sempron 1150
1 Gbyte mem
Seasonic 380 PSU
4 x 500 Gbyte HDD
software RAID 0+1

The computer is on 24/7. Power wise I measure about 61W at the wall socket which I think is acceptable.

It works well. But now I have been playing with Freebsd 8.0 and ZSF (on a different computer), and I feel this is what I really would like to have on the server. So from what I have read I figure I would like to upgrade to 4 GByte memory and a bit more powerful CPU. And while I'm at it I would like to have a mobo that supports ECC memory.

Intel or AMD is unimportant. But since I hope leave and forget the server for at least some years after this upgrade I'd like high quality components.

For mobo I would prefer a Gigabyte because I am of the impression that they are often of good quality. I know the AMD CPUs support ECC, but except for the latest iX Intel cpus it is the chipset that enables the ECC for most Intel cpus. So it seems AMD should be easiest to find ECC support for. Also it seems a lot of people use AMD with 780G chipset for HTPC and such, which should be somewhat similar to my needs.

For AMD unfortunatly the only Gigabyte mobo with ECC support I find is GA-MA770T-UD3P, and I find a fair number of reviews (newegg e.g.) that says the northbrige might be get very hot on this mobo, and that the cooler might be of inferior quality. Also this is not with integrated graphics so I'd need a separate gfx card. For ASUS most mobos for AMD seems to support ECC.

For Intel I find a lot of (a bit old?) motherboards with X38 chipset that support ECC, but from what (little) I have been able to find this chipset might require quite a lot of power.

So my current options are along the lines of

Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UDP + some AMD CPU (eg Athlon II 240(e)), possibly bad NB cooler?
ASUS 780G something + AMD cpu, As good quality as Gigabyte?
Gigabyte X38 something + Intel CPU (eg E8600), high power consumption?

If anyone has any input on this I would appreciate it. For example what would be the idle power of X38 + some Core2 cpu? Or can recommend a good quality ASUS (780G?) mobo that runs cool?

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:20 pm

I'm not sure what's the point to going to ECC RAM. It's much more expensive, and you'll have to find a motherboard that supports it. I'm just not sold on the benefits for a home system, even a home server.

However, just to add some info to your build choices, my brother has an HTPC/NAS system with an Intel E5200 on a Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H. It has an nVidia 9400 chipset. There's four hard drives in the system (2 1TB and 2 smaller drives), 4GB of RAM, and a DVD burner. I believe it idles around 45-50W. It usually sits at 55W since he runs torrents and uses it as a DVR. SPCR also tested some CPU/motherboard configurations of E7200 and an nVidia 9300 chipset with similar results: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article892-page5.html

You should check outSPCR's CPU and Mobo section to see the power draw of different combinations.

piglover

Post by piglover » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:46 pm

I run my WHS machine on a Biostar A760G M2+. This Mobo supports ECC RAM and I am running ECC DIMMS in it. There has been a lot of debate on whether or not the MOBO really implements ECC, but my testing suggests that it does. Its pretty hard to prove it conclusively without using defective DIMMs.

Works great, you can run any socket AM2/AM2+ CPU you want, and its pretty low power. Depending on your CPU you should be able to see 30-40W nominal + whatever load your disks generate.

BTW, to stromgald: you are probably right - the benefits of ECC ram in a home environment are certainly debatable. But with the turmoil in the RAM market over the last year it is no longer true that ECC ram is significantly more expensive. As long as you are talking about unbuffered DIMMs (which are all AMD supports anyway) you can find ECC ram sets for the same, or only nominally more, as the otherwise identical non-ECC modules. All depends on your tenacity & willingness to shop around...
Last edited by piglover on Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piglover

Post by piglover » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:49 pm

Duplicate deleted. Sorry

js

Post by js » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:40 pm

stromgald,
Thanks for the information and suggestion. Prior to building my current system I learned much from the SPCR articles and review, very helpful indeed. But now, for the X38 chipset I do not find anything, but that is maybe an indication that X38 not useful for low-power applications.

As for ECC, I'm not sure either of the benefits. But if it possibly improves robustness for little extra cost it could be worth it. The price difference seems to be very small, as piglover said.

piglover,
I think I have not hear of Biostar before but I will look into it, thanks for the info.

Btw, I wrote ZSF but of course I meant ZFS (the file system).