Help with Nexus LOW-7000 - Please!!

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Kate

Help with Nexus LOW-7000 - Please!!

Post by Kate » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:28 am

Dear forum users,

Recently I bought a Nexus LOW-7000 for my HTPC, I have to say that it is excelent, however it has a very HIGH PITCHED SOUND that drives me nuts!

I tried emailing Nexus asking for instructions on how to replace the PWM fan, however I got no reply.

My question to you is, how do I remove the fan? Do i need to remove the whole cooler from the MB? Or I just push the pins, that, apparently hold the fan in place?

Also is a regular 120x25mm fan fits? Or should I stick with the original 120x20mm??

I am thinking of buying a sytche PWM fan, to replace the original fan. Will that be a good replacement?

THank you!!

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:33 am

You'll have to take the cooler off the mobo.

There are 4 screws around the edges which hold the fan bracket on. Unscrew all of those, and then you should be able to carefully shimmy the fan and those two black brackets off the cooler. Once you've got that off, you should be able to use some pliers to remove the pins that hold the fan in place.

Because of the pins, it would be easier to get a 20mm thick fan, but If you can find some other way of mounting the fan, it wouldn't matter.

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:54 am

Plug it into a 3pin connector and see if it is any better.

I have a Yate Loon on mine that is much quieter.

Kate

Post by Kate » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:09 pm

Bonnestone,

hmmm cool! I will try that very soon, just waiting a few days for my new 120x25 scythe pwm fan to arrive, im pretty sure i can find a way to adapt it!

Riffer,

Ok ill try that!