Please check my build's compatible/bottleneck issue

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jtcb

Please check my build's compatible/bottleneck issue

Post by jtcb » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:37 pm

Can someone check to see if all these parts will be compatible/bottleneck with each other? I am pretty firm on most parts except for the video card and HSF. I am building a silent PC. I choose these two video cards because they are fanless. If I choose the 4550 over the 5750, will the 4550 bottleneck the rest of the parts? I think I will choose Prolima Megahalems over the BH-D14 after reading both review. Which is the quietest fan to put on the heatsink? Are there other parts you can suggest?

Silverstone Fortress FT02-W
i7 860
NH-D14 OR Prolima Megahalems
ASUS P7P55D-E
Any 4GB ram kit
Powercolor Radeon HD 5750 Scs 1GB 4.6GHZ GDDR5 OR Gigabyte Radeon HD 4550
Intel X-25M 80GB
1TB WD Green or Samsung F3 HDD
Seasonic X-650
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit OEM
2 DVD optical drive

maalitehdas

Post by maalitehdas » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:40 pm

All the parts in a silent build should be able to handle all your personal requirements, but without any unnecessary power consumption. In your list it might be worth to give a second thought for that processor. That one (i7 860) will only use around 10% of it capability in most jobs but IDLE's with 95W. That's actually a very good achievement for that much speed for a processor but it's rare that anyone needs that kind of calculation speed. Less power consumption = less heat = less airflow needed = less noise. Changing that could give an opportunity to change the PSU also. Too big PSU is not a good idea either since it'll not reach the 80PLUS level in norrmal use. Reasonable max wattage of PSU = better energy efficient = less extra heat = less airflow needed = less noise.

To get the best ideas in your first silent build it would be good to write what are you planning to do with your build? (if gaming, what games?) And also, how long time you hope it'll be up to date before need for updates in hardware?
Last edited by maalitehdas on Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jtcb

Post by jtcb » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:45 pm

I don't game. I won't be upgrading my computer any time soon after this build so I want to get the "best" part to last me a long time. I know some of the parts are overkill. The only old tech in the list I think is the 4550.

More comments welcome.

maalitehdas

Post by maalitehdas » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:04 pm

You don't game, ok. What do you do then? At least you can forget two GPU's, that's only needed in gaming. Unless you use several screens.
-Watching 1080p movies, 1GHz dual processor is enough for future needs
-Using internet, usual bottleneck is bandwidth of the connection
-Handling photos (depending on the program), usual bottleneck is the memory and it's speed. Dual processors handle all manipulations well.
-Making 3D / watching 3D: Choose one good GPU, no need for a pair
Or what?

maalitehdas

Post by maalitehdas » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:00 pm

My suggestions for main parts for general computer use (office work, internet, HDTV/BD watching). Estimated time before updates needed (no game usage) is 3-5 years with these:

- CPU between i3 530 - i5 670 (20-50W with a reasonable motherboard, 70W-110W measured with a good whole working system. TDP is 73W). I would choose the cheapest model available.
- GPU Powercolor Radeon HD4550 (8-20W) <--- supergood!
- PSU Any good SPCR reviewed, max 380W model. <300W would be even better for general use. Best one could be the one that reaches PLUS80 level at lowest wattage, since most of general use will be around 70W all together.
- As much passive cooling as fits into case and just 1 silent 12cm fan to keep it all cool.
- MB should be able to alternate fan speed based on temp.sensors. A good one also has lot of good heatsinks unless you're going to change them for better yourself. I would choose another of these:
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4, Gigabyte GA-P55-UD5, Asus M4A79XTD EVO
- 2Gt of low MHz memory (DDR2/DDR3) with heatsinks
- High case with a top vent hole (for passive airflow)

With these parts it's quite easy to get it close to inaudible, PSU will be the biggest noise source. P55 and i3 are not a best possible match since you can't use the graphic of i3 (P55 misses a video out = need for the Radeon GPU, but it's so cool!). With H55 MB you can use i3's integrated graphics and forget the Radeon.