*SOLVED* weird Intel EIST and Windows 7 problem...

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

psiu

*SOLVED* weird Intel EIST and Windows 7 problem...

Post by psiu » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:34 am

Reset BIOS to defaults, cleared CMOS, only enabled EIST (and not C1E) and it works :D

Well, this has me stumped for now.

Picked up a system from someone on another board for pretty cheap, everything works pretty much flawlessly except for the Intel Speedstep stuff (note, my last Intel systems are P3's, been AMD since).

Relevant specs:
Foxconn G31MV-K
Xeon e3110 (aka e8400)
2x2GB DDR2-800 Corsair memory

Turning on EIST in the BIOS seems to lock the multiplier at 6, and it won't ramp up under load--I noticed because the initial Windows 7 experience thing was lower than my previous setup which it should be faster than. Turning it off, resulted in a higher score. Downloaded CPU-Z and Realtemp confirm it's not speeding up during load (Prime95).

Now it gets weirder. I can shake it loose it seems like, I was considering using CrystalCPUID, so downloaded, installed, set up a basic Multiplier Management setup. EIST came to life! After any sort of standby or boot, if I login into Windows it doesn't deviate from 6X. If I open CrystalCPUID, select the Intel EIST, then toggle Multiplier Management on and off, it starts working (using all the .5 increments available as well).

Weird. Any weird Intel things I need to do to make this just work without a little juggling act when I start it?
Last edited by psiu on Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

danimal

Post by danimal » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:42 pm

that sounds like a weird mb bug, it's not normal behavior for eist... check to see if the board has the latest bios.

psiu

Post by psiu » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:34 pm

danimal wrote:that sounds like a weird mb bug, it's not normal behavior for eist... check to see if the board has the latest bios.
Yeah it does...in fact (doh!) I put it on before doing the Windows install, so I don't know if perhaps the new one added a bug...

piglover

Post by piglover » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:38 pm

Is it possible that you disabled AHCI from the BIOS? win7 requires AHCI in order to interact with EIST.

psiu

Post by psiu » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:00 pm

piglover wrote:Is it possible that you disabled AHCI from the BIOS? win7 requires AHCI in order to interact with EIST.
AHCI or ACPI? I'm 99% sure ACPI is on, not so sure about AHCI since the BIOS isn't real clear (it combines the IDE controller and SATA controller, though I picked the one that let me specify SATA-II).

Monkeh16

Post by Monkeh16 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:43 pm

AHCI has nothing to do with EIST.