Low power HTPC - advice on last remaining parts needed

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

theFan

Low power HTPC - advice on last remaining parts needed

Post by theFan » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:11 am

Hi everyone,

Could someone please recommend a case and CPU heatsink that will work well with my MSI 785GM-E65 motherboard with respect to space to fit everything in and thermal design?

I want to eventually add a graphics card so the case would have to support full size pci cards. Budget is moderate to low ie Antec Fusion is too expensive.

Build details:

Im building a low power and hopefully very quiet HTPC that I want to use for watching video (SD and HD) and outputing Hi-Fi audio and eventually TV capture.

This is what I have so far:

- CPU: Athlon II X2 235e
- Motherboard: MSI 785GM-E65
- RAM: G.Skill 2x 1GB PC12800 DDR3 (1600Mhz) (F3-12800CL9D-2GBNQ)
- DVD: Samsung SH-S223B
- PSU: Temporary PSU i had lying around
- HDD: WD6400AAKS

Parts that I still need to buy:

- Case: HTPC case
- CPU heatsink
- TV capure card
- Graphics card for HD Bitstreaming and second display
- SSD
- Decent PSU

Thanks,

Tim

kopilu

Post by kopilu » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:44 am

you could try the enermax laguna,but as far as I know it's low profile.It has a built in power supply that's decent(and fairly quiet) and good ventilation options.I found it at around 100$ in online stores.
http://www.enermax.com/home.php?fn=eng/ ... 1=24&no=48

psiu

Post by psiu » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:51 am

I'm pretty sure the Mini Ninja seems to be the preferred heatsink choice for HTPC's around here, assuming you get a case it will fit in. Hopefully with a fan near it and then you can run it without a fan directly on it.

Greg F.

Re: Low power HTPC - advice on last remaining parts needed

Post by Greg F. » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:45 am

theFan wrote:Hi everyone,

Could someone please recommend a case and CPU heatsink that will work well with my MSI 785GM-E65 motherboard with respect to space to fit everything in and thermal design?

I want to eventually add a graphics card so the case would have to support full size pci cards. Budget is moderate to low ie Antec Fusion is too expensive.

Build details:

Im building a low power and hopefully very quiet HTPC that I want to use for watching video (SD and HD) and outputing Hi-Fi audio and eventually TV capture.

This is what I have so far:

- CPU: Athlon II X2 235e
- Motherboard: MSI 785GM-E65
- RAM: G.Skill 2x 1GB PC12800 DDR3 (1600Mhz) (F3-12800CL9D-2GBNQ)
- DVD: Samsung SH-S223B
- PSU: Temporary PSU i had lying around
- HDD: WD6400AAKS

Parts that I still need to buy:

- Case: HTPC case
- CPU heatsink
- TV capure card
- Graphics card for HD Bitstreaming and second display
- SSD
- Decent PSU

Thanks,

Tim
The AverMedia Volar works well now that Avermedia has issued a driver update. Prior to that it would crash or lock up. If I had it to do over I think I would get the HDHomerun. It is more money, but it has two tuners and plugs into the router so you can access if from any computer. The Volar is USB and you must unplug it and plug it into the other computer. HDHomerun is just a handier solution. There is a one tuner version.
I have a 235e on order. I don't know if it will be lower power than a 65w underclocked. Best way to know is to try it.

theFan

progress so far..

Post by theFan » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:55 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the quick replys.

I've spent a lot more time investigating and this is what i have so far:

Antec NSK2480 - I can't handle having a black optical drive on show.
Antec Minuet 350 and NSK1480 - take only half height PCI cards.
Silverstone GD04 and GD05 - only 65mm for CPU heatsink (no Mini Ninja).
Enermax Laguna - fits only low profile cards.
Thermaltake - all seem a bit over the top to me, i much prefer a simple front.

I'm now going to check out the Lian Li options but i believe they all use aluminium which isn't the best for noise. Also there are the larger Silverstones.

I've read a lot on these forums and i think my problem is quite a common one so maybe there are no ideal solutions..

Thanks,
Tim

theFan

Does mini ninja revB fit with MSI 785GM-E65?

Post by theFan » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:21 pm

Hi,

I've just discovered that the NSK2480 comes in an all black version which means i can tollerate the fact it doesnt have optical drive covers on the front.

So, now all i need is the cpu heat sink before i can at least power the beast up.

Can anyone vouch for the Scythe Ninja Mini RevB fitting on my MSI 785GM-E65 without hitting any of the on-board heat sinks or the RAM??

Thanks,
Tim

hybrid2d4x4

Post by hybrid2d4x4 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:57 pm

I don't know of any tower heatsinks, Minja included, that won't clear a standard height RAM module. Maybe it you have something with oversize heatspreaders, like the G.Skill Ripjaw series or those OCZ Reapers, it might be an issue.

kopilu

Post by kopilu » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:44 am

I have the ninja mini on a 785 amd board(asus).The ninja clears the ram,but the fan on the ninja doesn't.I now have to use the fan on pull-more,rather than pushing the air through the heatsink.my board is m4n785-htpc i case you want to compare layouts

hybrid2d4x4

Post by hybrid2d4x4 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:30 pm

If he uses the minja inside the NSK2480, he won't need the fan unless he replaces the CPU with a really hot one or overclocks lots. Even if he did want to use the fan, it would not be oriented to sit above the RAM, but blowing parallel to the RAM towards the exhaust fans on the side of the chassis. You might be right about the fan not fitting, but in the 2480, it should be a non-issue.

theFan

Progress

Post by theFan » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:48 pm

Thanks for the replies.

A mini ninja arrived today and it comfortably sits above the RAM and other heatsinks by about 8mm.

The 2480 arrives tomorrow. Im hoping ill be able to configure the case fans in a way that means i don't need a minja fan.

It's my first proper silent/quiet pc build so it's all pretty exciting!

Tim