OK, I have my new build, am very excited...

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

capecodbackup

OK, I have my new build, am very excited...

Post by capecodbackup » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:29 pm

Antec Solo Designer 500 case

Nexus R5300 PSU

GIGABYTE GA-H55M-USB3

Core i5-650 with built in video

Noctua CPU cooler, not sure which one.

Possible Noctua case fan

Appropriate RAM, 4-8GB

I am really excited. I think I have considered all things and that with minimal tweaking, this will be one fast and quiet computer.

Goal is faster and quieter than my Optiplex Core2Duo 2.1GHZ

And oh yeah, my 1TB WD BLACK drive 32mb cache.

maalitehdas

Post by maalitehdas » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:44 am

I would choose much same components for a HTPC build, keep me informed of your project please. It could be both fast and quiet, let's see how the temperatures are.

capecodbackup

Post by capecodbackup » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:08 am

Yes, as well as fast and quiet, I want cool too. that is why the built in video and the low TDP chip.

the case is the only thing I am not sure about.

capecodbackup

Post by capecodbackup » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:07 pm

I am very close to ordering an Antec SOLO for $90 on ebay. then I will just need RAM and be ready to go. Well, as soon as the parts get here.

Still stuck on a CPU cooler. Noctua, but not sure which one.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:09 pm

Nice options. Why the WB Black, tho? It will probably be the standout noise item.

capecodbackup

Post by capecodbackup » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:41 pm

Well, it is my current drive and i love it. Fast, and noise is a non issue and I expect it to be even less of a non issue with a suspended or grommeted install.

Of all noise, some seeking has bothered me the least of all. I truly HATE a loud WHINE like a 15K drive.

Maybe I juts got lucky but this is one sweet drive. Of course, for silence purposes, an SSD is in the not too distant future. That solves the issue once and for all. I know, because I had one for awhile. Sold it on Ebay to finance this build :)

My drive reliable>fast>quiet.

Have a Noctua case fan already ordered. Nice fan. About 25 on Ebay. I am getting most of not all parts from EBay. i always have good luck there, and only they seem to have Antec cases I want. MB and CPU are on their way. Case I will order in a day or 2, then just the RAM.

I just may buy some time with the stock CPU cooler so I can explore all the correct possibilities. Am thinking Noctua so far.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:27 am

capecodbackup wrote:Well, it is my current drive and i love it. Fast, and noise is a non issue and I expect it to be even less of a non issue with a suspended or grommeted install.
Cool beans. The i5-650 has a TDP of 73W, so you don't need a monster cooling solution, just a practical one. Pick your case, then find the cooler that fits without pain, cools well, and is reasonably priced.
Last edited by CA_Steve on Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

capecodbackup

Post by capecodbackup » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:58 am

Yes, I purposely got a low TDP CPU. In this case the 15-650 :)

That way I do not have to get one of those six pound coolers that needs to be reinforced with cement and steel :) Those things scare me. Cat jumps on computer, it wiggles a little bit and BOOM, heatsink breaks mainboard.

There is ONE Antec Sonata 500 case on ebay, and many SOLOS. SOLO is cheap and I am right now looking at my Nexus R5300, so I will most likely go with the SOLO.

I am hoping that some new stunningly quiet case does not come out the minute I screw in the last screw of my new build :)

PS I just tested, well turned on, my Nexus R5300. Man, that is one quiet PSU. Of course, there was no load, but the fan was spinning. really nice. Time will tell further tales.

Dave

capecodbackup

Post by capecodbackup » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:13 pm

The saga has ended. I have ordered the SOLO. Which pretty much means that tomorrow Antec is going to announce their newest case :)

maalitehdas

Post by maalitehdas » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:59 am

Good luck. Don't get too heavy heatsink, ninja's are great too.

capecodbackup

Post by capecodbackup » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:31 pm

Yes, I do not want a 2 pounder :) I was wondering about a Mini Ninja???

OddSilence

Post by OddSilence » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:23 pm

Does Scythe still not have optional backplate for sockets 1156/1366 like it had for 775?

If you place the motherboard horizontally i guess it won't come off nor break. :)

(I'm building a couple of systems soon (C2Quad) and I decided to buy a NinjaMini for the vertical-mounted system and a Ninja2 for the horizontal-mounted system, both with backplates, but i'm probabbly more precautious than needed...)

capecodbackup

Post by capecodbackup » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:10 pm

Just because it has a back plate does not mean it is not heavy. I am going vertical, no choice there. I am not going to overclock, so I want the minimum than can do the job but with some serious wiggle room to make sure the CPU is cool.

Dave

capecodbackup

Post by capecodbackup » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:00 pm

Amazing, booted on first try, just by placing my hard drive in, no reformat or anything. SWEET.

SOLO case with noctua fan. STOCK cpu cooler, actually amazingly quiet. But maybe it has not been under load yet.

Still, this puppy is very quiet. I will be taking my time to get a GOOD CPU cooler. I THINK the CPU cooler is making the only obnoxious noise.

Overall, I am very satisfied with my purchase/build.

No camera at this time, not going to waste out time with cell phone photos. Will get a camera soon and show some photos.

nyhcbri

Post by nyhcbri » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:35 pm

capecodbackup

Post by capecodbackup » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:51 pm

I am thinking Schythe mini Ninja or Noctua heatsink. If I get the right one, I will have a truly silent build, which is just what i wanted :) Oh yeah, FAST too :)

OddSilence

Post by OddSilence » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:09 am

Sorry if I didn't explain myself well. :( I'll try again:

Although most probabbly you had already thought about it:

I meant to say that in my way of thinking the NinjaMini (for being shorter) [or a non-tower cooler] and if possible with backplate (not that the backplate solves all problems) must be much less dangerous than a normal tall tower cooler, not only because of being lighter, but also because of the "lever efect" (don't know how it is called, if it exists - i think it does).

Probabbly it was obvious, sorry, meant well...

Glad to read that your system is on the right path. :)

capecodbackup

Post by capecodbackup » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:39 am

No worries, your message came thru fine. the "lever" effect as you say makes me very nervous. That is why I was thinking Mini Ninja to begin with.

And I wold never use something even that big unless it had a backplate. So, yes, it does have one.

So, I am still not sure what I am getting. It is a hard choice. As I factor in weight and the "lever" effect both. Many of these ilk can get darn close to 2 pounds. Especially the Anniversary edition all copper ones :)

Ninja Mini with a Noctua fan is looking like a good choice. a 92mm fan of course.

OddSilence

Post by OddSilence » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:25 am

(maybe you've thought of this already)

The additional "safety measures" I have been planning to take are:

- To mount the heatsink (in my case NinjaMini) without any fan (to decrease the cooler's weight), relying on case-back-fan and psupply's fan
- and maybe make a little duct (or just a simple air guide - like a "flap?") to guide the air between the NinjaMini and the case-back-fan. [duct attached to the fan only]

- maybe "tie" the top/extreme of the Heatsink to the PSupply's fan grill or a high point in the case with just a very little tension, to "break" the lever efect and in case of a bump to help avoid damage. [with a zip-tie or other more apropriate thing - it has to support some temperature and tension/weight]

I hope with this to make it acceptable safety-wise (at least compared to the vast majority of coolers out there).

I'm not sure about the performance i'll get out of it "semi-fanless", but it's more probabble to work for you, since you have a low TDP cpu :)

capecodbackup

Post by capecodbackup » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:58 pm

those are excellent ideas. I decided to go with a Noctua 9 with one fan to try it. Depending on how it mounts, I MAY try it with only case fan. I REALLY like my Noctua case fan. WICKED SILENT.

So I figured I would try another of their products.

OddSilence

Post by OddSilence » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:02 pm

Thanks. Good luck, tell us how it went. :)