dvi port failed gateway fpd2185w

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nyhcbri

dvi port failed gateway fpd2185w

Post by nyhcbri » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:53 pm

the dvi port is out on my monitor and all this time i thought it was the graphic card, motherboard or cables. turns out its some factory defect. so what i want to know is does anyone know if there is a fix for this? also what about the option of using the component inputs on the monitor. i would need a dvi to component or a hdmi to component cable or adapter.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:59 pm

The greedy bean counters at gateway used cheapo knock off capacitors in the power supply and the control board for that monitor. If you replace them with good quality ones rated for higher temps it might breathe new life into the monitor.

Worked for me anyhow... :wink:

Does the vga still work?

nyhcbri

Post by nyhcbri » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:10 pm

vga works fine i just figured the component is my next best option being that the dvi is out. i have on idea how to begin a process like the one above but im sure if i had the RIGHT parts i could pull it off
i found this
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1031549788

Crim

Post by Crim » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:19 pm

nyhcbri wrote:vga works fine i just figured the component is my next best option being that the dvi is out. i have on idea how to begin a process like the one above but im sure if i had the RIGHT parts i could pull it off
i found this
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1031549788
Component is very similar to VGA; just use VGA instead if you can't get the DVI to work.