your advice on my cheap but silent HTPC

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

domokun

your advice on my cheap but silent HTPC

Post by domokun » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:10 am

I want to build an HTPC on the cheap but one that is sufficiently powerful to take advantage of my Radeon 4850 (so it can double up as a moderately powerful gaming PC).

Indeed my Gainwaird 4850 GS is the only component I already have.
Thereafter I have no constraints, only preferences ;-)

Case: µATX, preferably desktop (not tower) so NSK 2480 ?

Mobo/CPU: originally thought 785 mobo (ASRock M3A785GMH/128M) + Athlon II X3 435 but seeing as I don't need the onboard graphics, how about a cheap H55 (Asrock H55M?) + i3 530? As they're only €25 more and seem significantly more powerful and/or overclockable.
Ideally decent audio chipset and e-sata. Firewire is a nice to have.

HSF: stock to start but if too loud a Hyper 212 Plus. Can anyone confirm if this fits in a NSK2480? If not, I could always plump for a Mini Ninja...

RAM: 4GB of cheap DDR3

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green WD15EARS (1.5 Tb, 64 Mb, 7200 rpm)

Optical LG CH08LS10 - Blu-ray player

Input: ancient Logitech Cordless Desktop MX

Other: does anyone know of a sobre (no bright blue LEDs) 5.25" card reader that offers e-sata, at least 2 USB and ideally Firewire (don't care for audio I/O)

Many thanks in advance.
I'm a HUGE admirer of your site (I've recommended it many of my mates).

Tootlepip

ces

Re: your advice on my cheap but silent HTPC

Post by ces » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:01 am

domokun wrote: Case: µATX, preferably desktop (not tower) so NSK 2480 ?
HSF: stock to start but if too loud a Hyper 212 Plus. Can anyone confirm if this fits in a NSK2480? If not, I could always plump for a Mini Ninja...

Take a look at the Thermolab Bada. It benchmarks nicely at Frostytech.com

Also there are some good top downs. Both Scythe and ThermalRight have some nice low profile 140MM top downs.

As to nice uATX cases with room for large heat sinks. There isn't much good out there. Consider the Lian Li A05. It's small and will take just about any heatsink.

hybrid2d4x4

Post by hybrid2d4x4 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:08 pm

I've got a system with a 212+ on hand and the heatsink seems to be similar in height to the full Ninja in my rig, so probably a nogo on the 212. The minja is perfect for the 2480 though, and you get a bonus PSU replacement fan :P

domokun

Post by domokun » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:20 am

ces: thanks for the tips but Thermolab Bada isn't available from local PC shops.

as for the Lian Li A05 case, it must be pretty recent because it's only available at 1 of my local suppliers. In fact its so recent it doesn't yet have a price. However I noticed that it was a tower and I'm looking for a desktop. Shame really 'cos its a nice looking piece of kit. Like the understated style :-D

hybrid2d4x4: thanks for confirming that a 212+ won't cut the mustard with a 2480. I think I'm going to follow your advice and go with a mini ninja.

Any thoughts about my choice of CPU/mobo ? :?