Need Core2Duo mobo for Megahalems

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Audition~Pianist

Need Core2Duo mobo for Megahalems

Post by Audition~Pianist » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:22 pm

Oh help help pls...

I have a P5N-E SLI Asus motherboard and my Scythe Ninja cooler pins broke so I needed a new CPU cooler. I thought about going with simply another Ninja, but then I read all about the Prolimatech Megahalems and bought one of those.

But it doesn't fit on the BLASTED mobo. Sigh... Wish I'd known.

So I either now buy a new cooler, or a new mobo. However, I think (I've a sneaking suspicion) that my mobo is warped somewhat, so I'd like to buy another Core2Duo motherboard for my E6300 that I can overclock a little and that will take my Megahalems bracket and cooler.

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated. Thank you all :-)

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:31 pm

That'a a good mobo... I had it for a while and then it just stopped working... Too bad, I really liked it...

So anyways, do you need SLI ? Do you have a manufacturer preference ?

If it were me (I'm getting one myself tomorrow :) ), I'd get a Gigabyte EP45-UD3R. Or one along the P45 chipset.

Or you can just upgrade :-)

Audition~Pianist

Post by Audition~Pianist » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:05 pm

Do you know what, I REALLY don't need SLI :)

Your Gigabyte suggestion looks a good 'un, but I'd rather pay around the £60/70 mark than the £100/110 area. I'm gonna keep hunting... Although, who knows - maybe I'll fork out for a new CPU and mobo.

And I'm bloody gonna find a compatibility list for the Megahalems before I purchase this time!

Thanks for your reply.

vortex222

Post by vortex222 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:45 pm

the cheap asus P43 motherboards work very well. The chip-set is passive and the bios has all kinds of voltage options to under-volt to your hearts content. And the performance is also inline for what it is.

Very flexable option, it should work fine with your cooler, but check for sure.

d
Audition~Pianist wrote:Do you know what, I REALLY don't need SLI :)

Your Gigabyte suggestion looks a good 'un, but I'd rather pay around the £60/70 mark than the £100/110 area. I'm gonna keep hunting... Although, who knows - maybe I'll fork out for a new CPU and mobo.

And I'm bloody gonna find a compatibility list for the Megahalems before I purchase this time!

Thanks for your reply.

Audition~Pianist

Post by Audition~Pianist » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:26 pm

Brilliant. So I've checked out a few P43 S775 boards and surprisingly few have onboard 1394 which is a must for me.

I'm thinking of settling on an ASUS P5P43TD PRO, but how do I find out if the Megahalems will fit on the board? Anyone? :?