Can a PicoPSU handle this?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mackstann

Can a PicoPSU handle this?

Post by mackstann » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:42 pm

I'd like to use a PicoPSU 150 (with 150w brick) to power the following:

Core i3 530/540
H55 mATX motherboard (either ASRock H55M Pro or Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3, not sure yet)
8GB (4x2GB) DDR3, probably 1.35v
Intel SSD
Random 3.5" 7200RPM HDD
Slim DVD burner

Do you think it'll be sufficient?

I have some really awesome plans for a tiny case, but I'll have to post about that later... 8)

ces

Post by ces » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:50 pm

I think so. But you should use the winmate instead. Electrodacus is active in these forums and he sells the winmate. You should go to one of his threads and ask him. He has a way of running two of his units off of a single power brick, so if one unit can't handle it, two will most certainly do so. But I think you will only need one.

mackstann

Post by mackstann » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:00 pm

Hm, the Winmate seems to be a bit more efficient at idle power levels, but it's larger and I'd have to figure out where/how to mount it. I really like the tinyness and self-contained nature of the PicoPSU. Are there more compelling reasons to use the Winmate instead?

ces

Post by ces » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:12 pm

mackstann wrote:Hm, the Winmate seems to be a bit more efficient at idle power levels, but it's larger and I'd have to figure out where/how to mount it. I really like the tinyness and self-contained nature of the PicoPSU. Are there more compelling reasons to use the Winmate instead?
It conditions the CD fed into it. The Pico just passes on that power. Winmate can be used with a wider variety of DC sources (I think from 12 to over 24 volts), and if you need more power, you can just hook a second unit to it. Electrodacus has tested it and has a special connector to do that.

You may or may not be able to do that with the Pico-psu, but even if you can you are on your own if you try.

mackstann

Post by mackstann » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:20 pm

ces wrote:It conditions the CD fed into it. The Pico just passes on that power.
Yeah, I read about that. It sounds nice, but a bit theoretical. The PicoPSU has been quite popular for some time now, and as far as I know its reputation hasn't been tarnished by reports of frying computers.
Winmate can be used with a wider variety of DC sources (I think from 12 to over 24 volts), and if you need more power, you can just hook a second unit to it. Electrodacus has tested it and has a special connector to do that.
It's easy to find a 12v brick, so the wide voltage range doesn't really matter to me. And I'm pretty sure I won't need two.

ces

Post by ces » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:35 pm

mackstann wrote:It's easy to find a 12v brick, so the wide voltage range doesn't really matter to me. And I'm pretty sure I won't need two.
I thought that was your original question?

mackstann

Post by mackstann » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:38 pm

ces wrote:I thought that was your original question?
I've googled as much as I can and it seems that it'll probably be sufficient, but it wasn't completely clear.

hybrid2d4x4

Re: Can a PicoPSU handle this?

Post by hybrid2d4x4 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:43 pm

mackstann wrote: Do you think it'll be sufficient?
Based on the power figures here, 150W will be a lot more than you need (assuming these Picos perform up to spec). A 120W or even a 100W unit will suffice for the components you picked if you don't mind the reduced headroom.

ces

Post by ces » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:44 pm

mackstann wrote:I've googled as much as I can and it seems that it'll probably be sufficient, but it wasn't completely clear.
Well Electrodacus will know, not guess.

You can always get some free support from him and then buy the Pico-PSU. He will probably even help you if you tell him that is what you intend to do.