New cooler, ATI 4770 idling at 80 C

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

captain_obvious

New cooler, ATI 4770 idling at 80 C

Post by captain_obvious » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:57 am

I just got an Arctic Cooling Accelero L2 Pro and installed it on a 4770 (stock speeds).

I have installed it twice now. The first time around I used the pre-applied thermal paste, and the GPU idled at 70 C or so. I figured that maybe there was something wrong with the paste, so I removed the cooler and noticed that the paste hadn't been applied evenly. I put in a small drop of Noctua paste and did some test fittings which seemed to indicate that the paste was now evenly spread (every installation and fitting was preceded by a full cleanup). Now the GPU idles at 80 C (or more). The fan is running at 12 volts (connected directly to the PSU because none of the connectors fit the card). There's now a front case fan blowing air towards the GPU as well.

I guess there could be a little too much paste, but surely that can't make the temps go as high as 80 C?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:33 am

I think you should clean off all the paste from all parts, and put just the tiniest "grain of rice" of the thermal paste in the center of the GPU chip, and then reinstall the cooler.

captain_obvious

Post by captain_obvious » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:39 am

The problem has been resolved because the the card is now dead, though I don't know why. But with the ridiculously difficult and unstable installation procedure, I'm suprised this didn't happen earlier.

I wouldn't have to go around installing aftermarket coolers if GPU manufacturers used quality coolers. But instead they just pay reviewers to tell everyone that their custom coolers are "silent," when in reality they are anything but. I wonder if even this site's reviews can be trusted.

psyopper
Friend of SPCR

Post by psyopper » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:07 pm

This is the only site who's "silent" or "quiet" recommendation I would trust.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sat May 01, 2010 12:08 pm

I installed AC L2 Pro on my HD 4850 which should be hotter than your HD 4770 ever was. I got 30-32degree C idles when fan was 45%

There was some problems in installation. I am sorry to hear that your HD 4770 died.

eddieck

Post by eddieck » Sat May 01, 2010 4:46 pm

captain_obvious wrote:I wonder if even this site's reviews can be trusted.
The two items I've bought because of SPCR's reviews (Nexus 120mm and NH-D14) have performed exactly as the reviews stated. I trust SPCR 100%.