Questions about Zotac 9300-ITX

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Jim Overflowed

Questions about Zotac 9300-ITX

Post by Jim Overflowed » Wed May 12, 2010 1:27 pm

Currently I am planning a new mini-itx gaming system in a custom case. I already have a Intel E8400 processor so a Zotac 9300-ITX board looks like a good (the only?) candidate as a motherboard. I have a few questions about the physical compatibility of the board. It would be great if someone who got the Zotac 9300-ITX could awsner these!

- I would like to use a Scythe Mini Ninja to cool the processor. It looks like it may just or just not fit over the IO blocks on the back. Does it fit here?

- Is there any chance to put a fan on the other side? It looks like even a 80mm fan will block the RAM slots. But the IO blocks block the other side, so does a Mini Ninja only fit with a fan on the side? That would be bad...

- From the pictures it looks like there is a component on the backside of the board under the socket. Can you use a backplate or is the component in the way? How high is this component, could a backplate fit with a few spacers and a bit of creativity in between?

Other suggestions for a mini-itx board with socket 775 and a PCI express slot are very welcome too!

Thanks in advance!

b3nbranch
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by b3nbranch » Wed May 12, 2010 3:35 pm

I can't speak to the Minja, but I built a system with the Zotac board (flavor 9300-I-E), an E7500, picoPSU, and a CoolerMaster Geminii S. It's worked very well for me. I have a few photos and text of the assembly here. Maybe they will be of some help. (The Coolermaster uses a backplate with the center cut out, and I didn't need to make any mods for it to fit.)

Jim Overflowed

Post by Jim Overflowed » Thu May 13, 2010 1:25 am

Thank you! Your pictures provide some more details of the board.