Nothing but trouble so far, itx htpc build.

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mpcharles

Nothing but trouble so far, itx htpc build.

Post by mpcharles » Fri May 28, 2010 10:18 am

Hi guys, first post YAY!.

Basically I am building (Trying) to get a htpc going based on these parts

CPU: intel e8400 65w (old system)
MOBO: Zotac GeForce 9300-ITX-WiFi Mini-ITX Motherboard
MEM : ddr2x2
tv card: leadtek dvi2000
HDD: 1x green hdd
ODD: 1x dvd drive (normal size not slim)

CASE!!!!!. This is where I had trouble firstly I purchased an
MI-008 but there is not enough room as they are designed for integrated solution and the power box is in the road ( I don't want to go picopsu as in Australia they are expensive and hard to come by and I dont trust them) . Now I am trying to find something to fit my needs!

The case I am currently considering now is
Aywun - A1-1001 w/250W PSU
Lian Li - The Mini-Q PC-Q07
Lian Li - PC-Q08 when it comes out

all other itx cases I have seen are just too small. Aywun 1001 is my favourite, but I Am not sure whether the PSU could handle this system??????

the mini q is cute, but from what I hear there is literally no way to get air in there and it will run hot

and the q08 is not in Australia yet.

Any suggestions? I dont want a matx case only itx

thanks

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Fri May 28, 2010 11:07 am

A PicoPSU would be enough to power that build. I see no reason why the PSU on the Aywun couldn't do the same.

eit412
Patron of SPCR

Post by eit412 » Fri May 28, 2010 11:37 am

I am just curious which components did not fit in the MI-008? Did you have trouble with the cpu cooler height or optical drive length? Or was it something else? I would like to build an ITX system and this case was on the top of my list.

mpcharles

Post by mpcharles » Fri May 28, 2010 11:44 am

cpu cooler height
when mobo is installed gives you about 3 cm room.
and if psu is sucking, cpu is sucking no air

mpcharles

Post by mpcharles » Fri May 28, 2010 11:46 am

I am not a big fan of pico psu as I think they are very overpriced for what they are.

vortex222

Post by vortex222 » Fri May 28, 2010 2:21 pm

there is more then enough room for the E8400's retail cooler from intel. it will touch up against the psu but it will function just fine.

I have the MI-100 which is identical with an Intel DG41-MJ mainboard and used my E8400 in it for a while until swiching cpu's to something else so i could use the 8400 in the workstation. THe only mod i made was putting a 12cm fan on the right hand side pushing air in. That allowed me to disconect the stock intel heatsink fan. ( i had the cpu undervolted using RMClock)

hope this helps.

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Fri May 28, 2010 3:19 pm

mpcharles wrote:cpu cooler height
when mobo is installed gives you about 3 cm room.
and if psu is sucking, cpu is sucking no air
Silverstone NT07-775

vortex222

Post by vortex222 » Fri May 28, 2010 3:55 pm

that looks like the retail intel heatsink, but the copper slug it uses would probibly give it better performance. What i would like to try is the taller intel heatsink with the fan removed, as a 12cm fan blowing across it proved very effective cooling.

mpcharles

Post by mpcharles » Sat May 29, 2010 1:59 am

vortex222 wrote:there is more then enough room for the E8400's retail cooler from intel. it will touch up against the psu but it will function just fine.

I have the MI-100 which is identical with an Intel DG41-MJ mainboard and used my E8400 in it for a while until swiching cpu's to something else so i could use the 8400 in the workstation. THe only mod i made was putting a 12cm fan on the right hand side pushing air in. That allowed me to disconect the stock intel heatsink fan. ( i had the cpu undervolted using RMClock)

hope this helps.
There is enough room you think? I have had a look on the reviews from thi site and it does not show a hell of a lot of room. my mobo arrives in a few days I will see if it all fits in , but I highly doubt it!.

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Sat May 29, 2010 7:31 am

mpcharles wrote:There is enough room you think? I have had a look on the reviews from this site and it does not show a hell of a lot of room. my mobo arrives in a few days I will see if it all fits in , but I highly doubt it!.
Actually, I do believe SPCR did just that in their review.

You could also try vortex222's suggestion of fan modding the stock Intel HSF. That should also make for better cooling of the northbridge (it needs it). The fan on the Intel heatsink is quite a bit taller so if you remove that, you should have enough vertical clearance for a 12mm thick fan like the Scythe Slipstream Kaze Jyuni Slim.

mpcharles

Post by mpcharles » Sun May 30, 2010 5:44 am

ilovejedd wrote:
mpcharles wrote:There is enough room you think? I have had a look on the reviews from this site and it does not show a hell of a lot of room. my mobo arrives in a few days I will see if it all fits in , but I highly doubt it!.
Actually, I do believe SPCR did just that in their review.

You could also try vortex222's suggestion of fan modding the stock Intel HSF. That should also make for better cooling of the northbridge (it needs it). The fan on the Intel heatsink is quite a bit taller so if you remove that, you should have enough vertical clearance for a 12mm thick fan like the Scythe Slipstream Kaze Jyuni Slim.
so do you mean to remove the actual cpu fan, and put another thin fan on top of it ? or put a fan onto the side blowing onto the cooler, and perhaps another one on the other side 'pulling'/?

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Sun May 30, 2010 6:18 am

mpcharles wrote:so do you mean to remove the actual cpu fan, and put another thin fan on top of it ?
This.