New rig for my brother.

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

G_O_D

New rig for my brother.

Post by G_O_D » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:31 am

Hello everyone, i'm trying to help out my brother with building his new pc and I thought it would be a good idea to post on the forums as well for any input/advice/tips, because they helped me a lot during my last rig build.

His current rig is an aging 7 years old with upgrades (athlon xp 2400+/3gb ram/ati radeon 3850 agp) and is very cpu bound.

He will be using it for all the usual stuff: word/powerpoint/websurfing/music/movies and gaming.

I'm trying to balance performance, cooling, silence and price.

Preliminary configuration:

PSU: Arctic Cooling Fusion 550R
CPU: Intel Core i5 750
Mobo: MSI P55-CD53
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 1024B DDR5
RAM: 4GB A-DATA DDR 3 1333MHz CL 7
Monitor: BenQ G2420HDBL 1920X1080 Full HD LED backlit

Case: Not sure, originally wanted Antec Solo but the GPU won't fit.
Any help is welcome. Looking for a not too big case that would fit all that, that has good cooling is quiet and under $100.

Options: Antec Three Hundred - concerned about the top and side vents in relation to noise, not sure that the psu cables will reach the top of the mobo as the psu is bottom mounted
Antec Two hundred - same concerns as above
Antec VSK-2000 - not sure the gpu will fit, looks to be the same internal construction as the two above, but with the psu on the top. Side vents again.

Cooling: Nexus fans number and size depending on what case i end up getting
CPU: Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 pro
GPU: Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo Pro

IDvsEGO

Post by IDvsEGO » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:39 am

I have a vsk2000 and I dont think it will fit without modification. I have a 5830 and there is some space but not a ton. I will be doing some work on it tonight and will try and rememer to take some photos for you.

G_O_D

Post by G_O_D » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:28 pm

It has the same dimensions as the other two and from what i can tell the same internal construction. If u can just measure from the drive cage to the expansion slots/ Thank you.