would really like some help on my first computer

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dus1234

would really like some help on my first computer

Post by dus1234 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:11 am

Besides this being the first time for me to build a system is it also my first post (theoretically 4th, 3 test posts for url inserting authorisation) SPCR. Hello :D

I am planning to build a system(yikes) for basic websurfing and (HD)movie watching. I'd like to place it in my tv cabinet and connect it to my still to get HDTV and to the monitor that will be 4 meters away from the tv cabinet.

This is what I have come up with so far with a possible future upgrade in mind

Motherboard: MSI 785GM-E65
CPU: Athlon II X2 Dual-Core 245 BOX
Memory: PQI DD31333-2G2D (DDR3 PC3-10600 2GB ) X2
HDD: WESTERN DIGITAL WD15EARS (1.5TB SATA300)
Case: SILVERSTONE SST-GD05B
PSU: Enhance ストロンガープラグイン SPSN-050P (500 Watt)
Optical disc drive: LG GSA-T50N (Slim)
Fan Controller: Kaze Server 3.5 KS01-BK-3.5
Drive Bay Adapter for Slim Optical/Fan Controller PMU-012 (Sorry couldn't find an english website)
Cpu Cooler
1. Scythe Ninja Mini rev. B SCMNJ-1100
or
2. Scythe Samurai ZZ SCSMZ-2000
or
3. Scythe Big Shuriken SCSK-1100
Monitor: Dell U2311H
Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech Wireless Desktop MK250

Hopefully you can help me out.

1. Is 4 gb memory perhaps too much?
2. Has someone successfully fitted a ninja mini on this motherboard. im scared because of this post. Couldn't find any information about it on google either. :(
3. Do objects (like a couch) interfere with the wireless signal to the keyboard/mouse? 5 meter DVI cables to the monitor should work, right?
4. Any other ideas/suggestions/remarks on this build or specific parts or perhaps something offtopic? :)
5. tips on building?

Thank you for reading and for making this site/forum a valuable source of information.(and I mean this)

RoGuE

Post by RoGuE » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:01 am

HEY, welcome to SPCR

As for your build..it doesn't look bad to be honest. I would not go with such a high power PSU to be honest...you'll use 200W MAX during HD playback.

Check out this as an alternative:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Nexus_Value_430

I didn't see a graphics card in your list so I'm assuming you're going with on-board graphics: which is fine! Just know that you don't have an HDMI port on this mobo so you might want to consider a different board if this is important to you.

You didn't mention your OS for this build. Either way, for web surfing and video playback 2GB is plenty of ram. You'll never fill it up just doing these tasks. Mix in gaming, and you may approach 2gb if you're going to be using win7 on this build. But for your purposes, 4gb is overkill. And remember: extra ram that you never use is completely useless in your system and only adds heat to the ambient inside the case.

Couches shouldn't interfere with the radio signal to your keyboard nad mouse.

DVI cables can be any length because they transfer a digital signal. So yes, 5M is fine.

You might want to consider a wireless keyboard w/ built-in trackball for an HTPC build. It's more convenient than bringing the mouse over to you on the couch.

Check these out:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1024-page3.html

cordis

Post by cordis » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:42 pm

Not sure about the heat sink, but the cable should work fine, I have a 25 ft. DVI cable on my htpc, it works great, no problems at all.