Is there a quiet 30" 2560x1600 monitor out there?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jpiszcz

Is there a quiet 30" 2560x1600 monitor out there?

Post by jpiszcz » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Hello,

I currently use 24" monitors because I have not found a 30" that does not emit a high pitch noise.

I've seen reports about Apple, HP and I know someone who has the newer Dell 30" (the new ones are more annoying than the older models).

I have 1 single old Dell 30" (3007WFP) but I was curious are there any 30" LCDs out there that do not emit a high pitch noise?

The 24" Dells are quiet (Ultra sharp) but I have yet to find a 30" that does not exhibit this problem, thoughts?

vortex222

Post by vortex222 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:19 pm

I have a 20" lcd that does just that. Hang a thick cloth, towl or other material on the wall behind the monitor to absorb the sound, it will cut down the noise a huge amount. The sound also appiers to be quieter however when the brightness (internal bulb intencity) is at maximum, and all dynamic brightness/contrast features are turned off.

That seems to be the way with alot of screens.

nomoon

Post by nomoon » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:36 pm

I use NEC LCD3090WQXi monitors that emit a faint 60 Hz hum, but it's definitely not a high pitched noise. It sounds a lot like a low frequency fan vibration. Even with three of these monitors on one computer and it's not too bad. One seems to be louder than the others, but it could just be the acoustics of the room. It's louder than my old Dell 24" 2405WFP monitor, but that one was extremely quiet. I'm really picky about noise, though I'm not complaining about the noise on these monitors too much.

I have also heard that monitors are more prone to be noisy when run at less than maximum brightness. I run the NEC LCD3090WQXi's at a low brightness (I think around 120 cd/m2). The ability to run at a lower brightness was one trait about this monitor that I really wanted.

Edit: B&H has a sale on these. They were over $400 off when I ordered mine.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:07 pm

I'm not really going for Apple here, but my girlfriends dad uses a 30" cinema display for photography work, and I'll be honest, their house is pretty quiet, and I can't say I've ever heard it make a noise, high pitched or anything else.

OddSilence

Post by OddSilence » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:23 am

I read somewhere (don't remember where) that when a LCD makes noise because of the brightness level, one can put the LCD at the brightness level where it doesn't make the noise and then, instead, use the graphics-card's software to control the brightness.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:50 am

Oddsilence: kind of, but you end up with worse contrast. Because display brightness is higher, black is brighter. Then when you set brightness lower from gpu side, it only makes lighter colors darker. I wouldnt use it.

I've HP lp3065 (30") which does buzz when brightness is not at maximum. Otherwise I am happy with it.

nomoon

Post by nomoon » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:53 am

I'm beginning to think that my NEC monitors are quieter than I realized, and that the increased noise that I'm hearing is mostly from the changed acoustics. The three monitors seem to be acting like a parabolic reflector, and are amplifying small noises from other parts of the room.

I can definitely hear some hum from them when I hold my ear above the air vents on top, but it's extremely faint. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm running them at a fairly low brightness level that is comfortable for viewing text.

psyopper
Friend of SPCR

Post by psyopper » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:49 am

nomoon wrote:I use NEC LCD3090WQXi monitors that emit a faint 60 Hz hum, but it's definitely not a high pitched noise.

Do you live in North America (where we use 60hz cycle electricity)? If so try ground lifting and/or grounding your monitor at the receptacle.