New HDD for "Quiet Gamer PC"

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Morten74

New HDD for "Quiet Gamer PC"

Post by Morten74 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:39 am

Hi Guys

Having finally decided to make the move to Windows 7, I thought now might be a good time to upgrade my HDD (ok admitted - installing new OS on a new HDD is also a nice way to be sure that everything is working and that you have not forgotten to back something up before you format your drive :oops: )

Question is what to get, as it seems much has happened since the WD 3200AAKS was one of the best around.

As the PC is used for gaming - mostly FPS - the drive should not be slow, though SSD is not needed. As for size, 300GB is stille ok, as I have all my photos, videos, iTunes etc. on a NAS.

Any suggestions? The 500GB 7200rpm 2.5" Seagate Momentus looks tempting, but was MikeC just lucky with his sample, or has the performance been verified by others? Call me brand loyal, but I prefer WD or Seagate, but am open to suggestions...

My setup is in my sig.

Thanks in advance

:wink: Morten

Morten74

Post by Morten74 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:43 am

No suggestions?

:wink: Morten

mkk

Post by mkk » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:59 am

Save your money until you can afford an SSD drive big enough for both OS and games, or two separate ones.

Madmanden

Post by Madmanden » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:33 pm

Hej Morten :)

I don't have experience with any particular harddrive except for 3,5" Samsung Spinpoints, which I have been very satisfied with. However, 2,5" drives are quieter and less power consuming, so any 2,5" drive with good reviews should be quite suitable. That, or an SSD. ;)

speedkar9

Re: New HDD for "Quiet Gamer PC"

Post by speedkar9 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:51 pm

Morten74 wrote:As the PC is used for gaming - mostly FPS - the drive should not be slow, though SSD is not needed.
I use a WD Blue (500GB), middle of the road performance, fairly quiet, and inexpensive per gigabyte. :)