recommendation for a 50mm fan?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mzimmers

recommendation for a 50mm fan?

Post by mzimmers » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:35 pm

Hi -

As posted in an earlier thread, I thought I had a loud drive, but it appears the fan is the culprit. I'd like to replace it. Here are the specs on it:

50mm x 50mm x ~10mm
12V, .1A
2-pin connector

Any recommendations? Thanks.

datapappan

Post by datapappan » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:22 pm

I'd say a Papst fan is pretty good - 512 FL-547.

Can't readily find it in the US, where are you residing?

Also check out the suggestions in this thread.

/d

mzimmers

Re: recommendation for a 50mm fan?

Post by mzimmers » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:13 pm

Well, crud. I bought a Scythe Mini-Kaze, and it was delivered today. Upon closer look at my original fan, I now see that it vents to one side, rather than through (I should have realized this from the fact that one side of the housing was solid...duh.) So, I'm not sure the Scythe will work. Plus, it won't fit my mounting bracket. Does anyone know of a source for brackets for these fans?

Thanks...one way or another, I'm going to get there on this.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:42 pm

That is a blower-type fan, which is better when pushing against back pressure. Those are much harder to come by, though they can be very quiet -- my iMac has 3 of 'em and most of the time, they are not audible.

mzimmers

Post by mzimmers » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:14 pm

Well, mine isn't quiet...in fact, it's noisy as hell. Maybe I'll try taking it apart and seeing if it needs some lubrication or something.

Unless someone advises me not to, my inclination is to either find or fabricate a bracket for the new fan (which is MUCH quieter) and run with it. If I end up toasting the miniStack, I'll just give up on that product line and start soliciting suggestions for a better, quieter external drive that also acts as a USB/Firewire hub.

Thanks.

mzimmers

Post by mzimmers » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:06 am

Here's an update on my situation: I ended up replacing the MiniStack v2.5 with a v3. The bad news is, the fan is still way too noisy.

I am in semi-desperate need of a QUIET 50mm fan that vents to one side, and has a 2-prong plug.

Can *anyone* suggest something for this?

Thanks!