Looking for a USB/SATA/HD Audio front bay

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

doveman

Looking for a USB/SATA/HD Audio front bay

Post by doveman » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:01 am

Basically all I need is 2 USB ports, 1 SATA/e-SATA and HD audio connectors for headphone and mic.

I've got a feeling that I'll probably end up with cardreader slots as well, which I don't really need but that doesn't really matter.

The problem is I can't find what I need, as the items on e-bay often don't give enough information to know whether it has internal USB leads, HD audio leads, etc, so if anyone could recommend something that would be a great help.

Edit: This is the sort of thing I want, but I can't find a UK supplier and there's some rather uncomplimentary reviews of it, so I'd probably avoid this particular item anyway http://www.nmediapc.com/CR128.htm

KayDat

Re: Looking for a USB/SATA/HD Audio front bay

Post by KayDat » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:51 am

A quick search on eBay for "sata usb front" came up with this. Description:
USB Port:
-From MB USB2.0 port or PCI USB2.0 card internal port
-3 Ports for USB2.0 connect

Audio:
-5.1 CH: from MB audio port
-Microphone in
-Front speaker out
-Rear speaker out
-Cen/ bass speaker out

1394 (Firewire):
-From MB 1394 port or PCI 1394 card internal port
-Standard 6 pin 1394 connect

SATA:
-From Motherboard SATA port or PCI SATA card intel port
Bolded by me, I'd say that it uses internal connectors, except for audio. Alternatively, DealExtreme have a bunch of front panel thingies you can buy, most of which are duplicates or very similar to each other.

These two look identical to the one you linked to: [link] [link]
The four of these are pretty much the same as each other, except for the SATA ports (some are ESATA, some are SATA, some are mixed): [link] [link] [link] [link]

doveman

Post by doveman » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:19 am

Thanks for looking for me.

Yeah, that first one doesn't look like it uses an internal audio header, as I don't believe they support 5.1, only headphone and mic.

Those other two do indeed look identical to the one I linked to, but I'm somewhat worried about the build quality if it is the same, because of the bad reviews I've seen.

Those last four with the LCDs are getting a bit pricey and a bit more extravagant than I need.

I guess another thing I forgot was that ideally it should power the USB sockets from the PSU, so I can be sure there's enough juice for external HDs. I suppose if nothing suitable's available, I could settle for something with just powered USB sockets and HD audio sockets and do without the SATA/e-SATA.

This might be OK but I don't think it has PSU powered USB ports.

This does but only has USB ports. I actually bought one of these a while ago but it was faulty and caused my motherboard to malfunction and it was almost impossible to fit it in the drive bay, so I returned it. I might just have been unlucky in getting a faulty one, but I imagine I'd have the same problem fitting it even if I got a replacement

This might be OK if it had PSU powered USB ports. I currently have the Silverstone FP35, which is great except it only has one USB, which is not enough. Even though it's not PSU powered, the USB port works OK with my friends 2.5" portable drive, so maybe I don't need to worry about PSU powered USB so much.

doveman

Post by doveman » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:48 am

Perhaps I could buy a spare part like this Lian Li PW-IO7VB and then mount it myself.

This might be another option and hopefully should be good quality, being Lian Li, but it might be cheaper if I can just get the spare part.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:47 am

The closest I can find in the UK is this
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/heisei-h ... v-hd-audio
but there is only one USB port.

doveman

Post by doveman » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:58 am

Thanks, but it's got to be at least 2 USB. I've got a PC with a bay with only 1 and there's often times when I need another and have to crawl round the back of my PC. I have thought about USB hubs to put on my desk for the USB ports, but whilst that would be OK for one of my PCs, I've got a couple of others that really need 2 USB ports on the front.

It's funny, I thought it wouldn't be too hard to find what I want but it seems the manufacturers don't think there's a market for it. I guess most cases come with these sort of connectors already now, so not many people would need to buy a bay.

It's a shame I can't just get the leads/ports separately, cos then I could mount the USB and SATA ports on the top of the case, and put the audio ports on the front, which I'd find ideal.

doveman

Post by doveman » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:40 am

Hey, seems like silver's gone out of fashion. I was about to buy the black Lian Li bay from overclockers for £17 when I found that specialtech were selling the identical thing in silver for £4.99!

I was so happy I bought two and a Scythe Slip Stream SY1225SL12M for £7 to use for the bottom intake I've been meaning to sort out for ages. :D

joetekubi

Post by joetekubi » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:24 am

Got everything you need except for 5.1 surround sound:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid ... 09&cat=FLM

doveman

Post by doveman » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:46 am

Thanks. I don't actually need 5.1 audio on the front panel.

I don't really like or use fan speed controllers either, nor do I need an LCD display, so this other item on their site would fit my needs better:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId ... 1&cpc=RESX

But anyway, I'm in the UK so that would probably cost me £14 if I could even find it over here, so I'm quite happy with the one I got for £4.99 :)