What CPU heatsink for a Silverstone Raven RV02E?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

BrytaPlanka

What CPU heatsink for a Silverstone Raven RV02E?

Post by BrytaPlanka » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:09 am

I currently have an ancient SLK3700B case that I ripped and bent out several parts of. My entire case is a messy temporary cramped up compromise at the moment, because I buy things and stuff them in the case, even though its really no room, so I figured its time to get a new case.

It might not really be needed, because the configuration is quiet enough for me, with sound dampening and slow moving fans and such, and nothing is overheating. But I caught my eye on the Silverstone Raven RV02-E case, and a store that got one, and just have to get it! :D

I have a slow Core 2 Duo E4400 CPU that I figured could be cooled passivly with the help of the airflow of the huge 180mm Air Penetrator fans on the bottom of the case. Im trying to figure out what kind of socket 775 heatsink that would be a good option for making use of as much of the huge fans airflow as possible.

My thoughts is that perhaps the Prolimatech Armageddon found on recommended heatsinks would be a good choise, since it got such a large surface area, but I also read that big space between the fins is important. So what do you think would be a good heatsink choise for me?

Other hardware to the build
1 Passive Silverstone Nightjar ST30NF
2 Seagate Barracuda 250GB with Nexus Disktwins + a 1TB Samsung Spinpont HDD
1 Gigabyte passive HD4850
1 Asrock 4Core1333-FullHD
2 OCZ Memorys with heatsinks on top. Like this

Not sure if I should remove the Disktwins or keep them on and install the HDDs further up instead. I think I will remove the Disktwins.

quest_for_silence

Re: `What CPU heatsink for a Silverstone Raven RV02E?

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:27 am

BrytaPlanka wrote:Im trying to figure out what kind of socket 775 heatsink that would be a good option

Thermalright HR-02.

But please, trust me: due to the noise level of the three SS 180mm fans, it's rather pointless going fanless.

BrytaPlanka

Re: `What CPU heatsink for a Silverstone Raven RV02E?

Post by BrytaPlanka » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:04 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
BrytaPlanka wrote:Im trying to figure out what kind of socket 775 heatsink that would be a good option

Thermalright HR-02.

But please, trust me: due to the noise level of the three SS 180mm fans, it's rather pointless going fanless.
The decision of getting a new case is actually poinless to, since im satisfied with the functionallity of my current one. Im just getting this one for the fun factor of it and because it sounds like it is awsome. Its more fun going fanless even though its pointless, and im already doing this for the fun of it, so im going to do it fanless anyway. :lol:

When you say SS 180 fan, do you mean the SST-AP181 fan?
That heatsink look really fat. Im a bit worried that the fatness of it will make the air slow down to much and get kind of stuck in the heatsink instead of going right through or something like that, but that might just be silly of me?

EDIT: Hey what about this Scythe Orochi beast? :D
Or maybe not. The fins are not aligned to let the air pass through it from the bottom.

The Scythe Yasya looks cool though, the visual of it fits the Raven case theme.
The Thermalright Archon also looks like a good alternative, since its 140mm and should be covered by more airflow.