Wireless keyboard/mouse combo for HTPC

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

djkest

Wireless keyboard/mouse combo for HTPC

Post by djkest » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:38 am

Hey guys,
Looking for a wireless keyboard and mouse for my HTPC. I do gaming mostly with the keyboard, it would be really nice if the mouse had a large range so as to control the computer from the couch or beyond (15 feet). Maybe this is a pipe dream. I have a cheap Logitech right now, and the range is now down to about 3-4' or else my mouse stops working. It's not a battery issue, those have all been replaced recently.

Is there anything out there with a decent range? Hotkeys for HTPC functions would be cool but I can live w/o that as well.

Hazelrah

Re: Wireless keyboard/mouse combo for HTPC

Post by Hazelrah » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:36 pm

I use Bluetooth for my HTPC mouse/keyboard, which has a long range and good accuracy. Other wireless keyboards would routinely drop letters, etc. at long range. But I don't use my HTPC for gaming (at least not wirelessly), and I've heard that Bluetooth (at least in Windows) is prone to input lag. Updated drivers may fix the problem. Bluetooth devices also tend to be pricey.

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:46 am

I was in the market for a compact wireless keyboard/mouse for my test system at home that doubles as an media extender to my plasma, so it would be good for both general use and as a pseudo-remote control.

I ended up going with the Asus Eee keyboard/mouse, the same one that ships with newer versions of the Eee Box. I've used it in the lab and liked it a lot, particularly the size, keyboard layout, and range (20'+). I haven't received it yet, but I think it will suit my needs. Worth considering.

It's the one pictured here:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/asus-eeebox-ion

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:43 am

Definitely stay away from Bluetooth, particularly for gaming. Input lag is real...and it sucks.

Not to mention that unless you use the included dongle, many mouse/keyboard combos don't work properly in a Pre-OS environment (not able to enter BIOS, etc).

I like Logitech's unified receiver sets, if you have to go wireless. Though if distance and interference become an issue, a USB extension cable dock is a good idea to achieve better signal strength. This worked well for my IOGear HTPC mini keyboard/trackball.

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:56 am

Gyration wireless keyboard/mouse combos have worked very well for me. The only thing I don't like about their keyboard is the location of the left "Control" key - it is shifted over for the "fn" key.