Silencing a multi-purpose computer

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Samriel

Silencing a multi-purpose computer

Post by Samriel » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:47 am

I'm not a computer enthusiast but I always used to build my own computer, and will probably keep on doing so considering you always get more bang for your buck. My present one has been running for six years now, and it's time to build a new one. However, I haven't really kept track of the hardware scene, but after reading up on a lot of stuff, I'd like to ask for advice.

I will use the machine to do a lot of photo and image editing, some occasional gaming and the usual office and internet stuff. The machine has to be living room friendly (or "wife friendly" as some may call it), and although I don't necessarily need it to be as silent as possible, the more silent it is the better. I am not planning on overclocking anything. Smaller is better as well.

Now, after some research, I was thinking about this build:

Intel i7 i7-870
ASUS P7P55-M or MSI H55MA-E43
Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 x2 (16GB)
Silver Stone SST-GD05B
Enermax PRO87+ 500W
Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB x2
WD Caviar Green 2TB
Radeon 6870

The SSDs will make a RAID0 system drive, while the 2TB drive will be used for storage (however, images will be stored on external media as well). I will use my current optical drive (a Pioneer DVD drive), but might exchange it for a BluRay drive later on. As to the questions:

- is the system as a whole acceptable when it comes to power, heat, noise and spacing?
- is there any specific Radeon 6870 I should be looking into or is it all the same? Sapphire is the cheapest around here.
- what after-market CPU and GPU coolers would you suggest for this build? Would the Scythe BIG Shuriken SCBSK-1000 be enough for this CPU? As I might add a sound card in the future (probably Onkyo SE-200PCI), the GPU cooler would have to leave some space for it if possible.
- Any other Case&MB combo you'd like to suggest? I'm very much interested into the Lian-Li mini-ITX cases, but I'm worried about the heat.

Any advice appreciated!

boost

Re: Silencing a multi-purpose computer

Post by boost » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:36 am

Welcome to SPCR!

Socket 1156 is replaced by socket 1155, so I would change the CPU and Mainboard to:
Core i5-2500K for ~200$ or Core i7-2600K for ~320$,
ASUS P8P67-M Pro or MSI H67MA-E45.
You should not put SSDs in a RAID because they cannot use TRIM. TRIM signals when a sector is no longer in use and can be erased. If the drive fills up this way, performace can degrade. Get one 128GB SSD instead.
There are quieter 6870s coming out from MSI and Gigabyte, but there are no reviews yet to tell which is quieter.
You should get a modular PSU for a desktop case, i.e. the Enermax MODU 87+. It really reduces cable clutter which can impede airflow.
The Silverstone GD05B is a good case, but it only fits VERY short CPU coolers, the Scythe Big Shuriken might be the only option. The Lian LI C50 moves the optical drive to the other side, allowing for taller CPU coolers, a tower cooler with a 92mm fan might fit like the Xigmatek or Xilence. I would exchange the fan on either cooler to a quieter model. The case is made from aluminum which vibrates more easily than steel, it "hums".
Whichever case you choose you should consider exchanging tha case's fans for quieter ones. Scythes good and great value, Noiseblocker Multiframes are great, because they have integrated vibration dampening, but might not be widely available.
Lian Li's Mini ITX cases are not the best idea for high end components except maybe the Q08.
In this thread I made a list of some nice small cases.

Samriel

Post by Samriel » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:14 pm

Thanks for the reply, you gave me a lot of good info to think about.

For starters, I didn't know that TRIM doesn't work with a RAID array, so I guess one larger SDD will do. I also was not aware of Intel bringing out a new line of CPUs just now. After reading the reviews, I'll probably be going for one of those - still have to decide if i5 2500, i7 2600S or i7 2600 though.

For some reason the Lian Li C50 is very rare here, and costs more that USD320... Unless this changes in a month, I'll probably be going for the Silverstone and the configuration below.

Silver Stone SST-GD05B
ASUS P8P67-M Pro
Intel i7 2600
Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 x2 (16GB)
Enermax PRO87+ 500W
Corsair Force F120 120GB
WD Caviar Green 1TBx2 (RAID)
MSI Radeon 6870

On another note, do you believe the following system is possible, concerning spacing and heat?

Lian Li PC-Q11
Some P67 or H67 mini-ITX motherboard - have to wait a bit to see if one gets available.
Intel i5 2500 or Intel i7 2600S (supposed to have lower clock frequency, but runs at 65W).
Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 (8GB)
Enermax PRO87+ 500W
Corsair Force F120 120GB
Hitachi Travelstar 7K500 2,5" 500GB
Some Radeon 6850

It is a downgrade compare to the previous build, but I just love the case. However, looking at the pictures and the mini-ITX motherboard pictures, I am not sure if the CPU cooler will fit with the PSU and with the video card installed below it. Even if everything fits, I have the feeling that heat and noise might be a real problem.

boost

Post by boost » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:05 am

Glad to help.
Both configurations are possible. Both require a low profile CPU cooler. In socket 115X ITX boards the CPU is VERY close to the PCIe slot. The Big Shuriken won't fit. You should consider the Prolimatech Samuel 17. If the longer side points away from the PCIe it should fit. The Lian Li Q11 fits two 3.5" hard drives and two 2.5" drives. Except for the RAM you don't have to downgrade at all!

tim851

Post by tim851 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:58 am

boost wrote:The Big Shuriken won't fit.
Actually, it should.
See here: http://forums.vr-zone.com/hardware-depo ... ost8318518

And here is a great forum post for Samriel, where someone build a Q11 system with a Phenom X3 and a Radeon 6850:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showth ... st17837875

Should be doable. He doesn't mention noise, but his temps seem okay.

He removed the 14cm intake fan, because he figured it wouldn't do much. I have to agree. And it works.

Also, he mentioned flipping the fan on the CPU heatsink, so the PSU and the HSF aren't "fighting" over air, but working in the same direction. I'd recommend you try the same. There should also be enough space to fit a regular sized 120mm fan on the heat sink in replacement for the Scythe Slim one. (I had a Big Shuriken and did not like the fan)

Samriel

Post by Samriel » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:13 pm

After looking at those posts, I think I'll be trying out the Q11 in the end.

I'm thinking something like this:

Lian Li PC-Q11
Some P67 or H67 mini-ITX motherboard
Intel i5 2500K
Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 (8GB)
Crucial RealSSD 128GB
Hitachi Travelstar 7200rpm 2,5" 500GB
Saphhire Radeon 6850

As both the SSD and the HDD fit on the bottom of the case, I will not put anything on top of the HDD. The Sapphire Radeon seems to fit nicely in the case as well. The 14cm fan does seem do be rather useless when a full size PSU is used and not having it might actually lower the general noise output somewhat. I'm still wondering about two things:

- as it is obvious that air flow is not going to be really good in the case, I'm worried about CPU cooling. Is a Big Shuriken or Samuel17 (any fan recommendations?) going to be enough to cool it properly when under load?
- is there any SFX PSU that you would recommend for this build? I was looking at the SilverStone SST-ST45SF, but since it is not modular it might end causing more problems then it solves.

tim851

Post by tim851 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:14 am

No matter what, thermally, the case will not be easy. The 6850, although a frugal card in comparison, is still dumping more than 100w of heat into the case once you kick off a modern video game. The heat has no other exit path but through the PSU/CPU area. The Scythe Big Shuriken will keep the CPU temps within tolerance, but don't expect it to achieve that silently.
Also with the limited fresh air the GPU can access through those side vents, it will have to ramp up the fan quite a bit under load conditions. Don't expect noise levels you might see in reviews, when they test the cards in open bench environments.

If you use the Silverstone SFX, you'll gain a little more space. Enough so, to think about using the Thermalright AXP-140 instead of the Shuriken or Samuel. This will easily offset the few more cables attached to it. On the other hand, the ST45SF's smaller 80mm fan will be less assisting in venting heat from the chassis and you'll definitely want to vent the heat from the chassis!
Which one is preferrable is something for you to find out. Better cooling of the AXP-140 vs. inferior venting of the SFX-PSU.

You must be prepared to experiment a little, to take your time. In your place, I would really try it out. Get both the ST45 and a regular ATX PSU. Get both the AXP-140 and the Big Shuriken. Test, which combination does better. Return those you discard (or put 'em on ebay).

Yes, that is a bit of a hassle but: A built like this is NOT a convenience built!

I had a little fun with a Silverstone SG04 last year. It has the same layout as the Q11, albeit it's a little bigger. It has the same problem of virtually NO intake airflow. It does have dual 120mm fans in the front, but like the Q11, it has no real vents for them, so actual air intake is abysmal.
I had a Scythe Big Shuriken with a 120mm Nexus Fan cool a plain ol' Core i3-530 (no overclock). Once I put the GPU in (Radeon 4850 then), the case was getting quite warm. Now that was during the hottest days of summer, unfortunately, when my room was regularly reaching in excess of 35°C/95°F.

Eventually, I settled with the bigger brother of the SG04, the Silverstone TJ-08. That was mainly because I needed a second 5.25" bay to finally get the hard disk inaudible. But EVERYTHING was much easier with that built. It's easier to cool, quieter in the process.
The SG04 is still with me and I will likely try and build a system around it again. Just because it's so pretty.

I don't want to talk you out of the Q11, I just want you to get mentally prepared.
It's basically like with girls: the pretty ones are more difficult to work with. :)

Samriel

Post by Samriel » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:42 am

tim851 wrote:I don't want to talk you out of the Q11, I just want you to get mentally prepared.
It's basically like with girls: the pretty ones are more difficult to work with. :)
Somehow reading this inspired me to give it a try - I just like the looks of that case! As it stands, I'll be giving the Q11 a try with the Silverstone SFX PSU. I actually found a post in another forum with Fractal SFX PSU and the Q11 here (completely different build though):

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=103 ... tcount=140

Looks very clean, maybe even clean enough to get some use from the 140mm fan. He's also using the AXP-140 passively, but I'll probably still go for the Shuriken or Samuel, as the AXP-140 is somehow nowhere to be found around here (it's not out of stock, no shop is actually selling it - although it seems some did sell it in the past).

It's probably going to be a month before I start ordering and building the whole thing, but should I have the time I'll post some pictures and impressions of the setup. Thanks a lot for all the advice - really helped my decide on what I really want.

geofelt

Post by geofelt » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:30 am

So far, I have identified no mini-ITX motherboards that are based on the P67 chipset.
You should know that the 2500k or 2600k unlocked cpu's can only be overclocked on a P67 based motherboard.
That said, the unlocked processors are still very strong, and would probably do well even on a H67 motherboard.

I have been planning a build using the lian li V351 micro-ATX case. I have already installed a GTX580 and a temporary G6950 with the stock cooler in it. It will be replaced with a 2500k or 2600k and a noctua u9b cooler.
Cooling is not a problem like I thought it would be. It also seems to be very quiet. If a cube case will suit you, you might want to look into it. Even then there are not many mini-atx motherboards based on the P67 chipset. The only two I have found are the Asus P8P67-M and the P8P67-M pro.

tim851

Post by tim851 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:24 pm

Samriel wrote:should I have the time I'll post some pictures and impressions of the setup.
Looking forward to it!

Samriel

Post by Samriel » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:08 am

OK, it's been about a month or so since I planned building this system, and I'm about to start buying stuff. Thanks to the H67/P67 bug, I managed to get an i5 2500K with a Zotac H67 Wi-Fi and 2x2GB 1333 DDR3 memory for about USD250 from someone who decided to wait for Ivy Bridge after all. As I will not be using more than two SATA ports anyway, I probably won't exchange the board anyway.

The topic should probably changed to "Building an all-round SFF PC" as I've somewhat decided to keep quietness and performance on the same priority level, while making size, or better said the Lian Li PC-Q11 case, the top priority.
I will use only external hard drives (LAN drives) for storage, so don't wonder if you don't see any HDDs mentioned. Now I'm stuck with my graphic card choice. The current build plan is:

Case
Lian Li PC-Q11
Motherboard
Zotac H67 mini-ITX Wi-Fi
CPU
Intel i5 2500K
CPU Cooler
Samuel 17 with Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E
Memory
Silicon Power 2x2GB 1333 DDR3 (will replace it to 8Gb Corsair later on)
System Drive
Crucial RealSSD 128GB (or is Corsair F120 a better option?)
PSU
Silverstone 450W SFX
Optical Drive
Pioneer BDR-206JBK
External Sound Unit
Creative USB Sound Blaster Digital Premium HD
Graphics Card
Need help!!

I'm looking to get the best possible graphics card I can fit in there. However, there are certain problems - the card cannot exceed 230mm including power cables, and there will be no additional airflow in the area. Considering the length, cooling, noise and all, I've been thinking about the following cards:

- Galaxy GTX 560 Ti GC - seems to run very cool and quiet. Will it run the same with a lack of airflow?
- Gainward GTX 560 Ti Phantom - supposedly less noise and better cooling, but some suggest that the cooler design might not be good, quoting the similarly designed Scythe "Setsugen I" cooler.
- Sapphire 6850 - there should be no problems here, it just performs slightly worse that the other options. I am wondering if the Sapphire 6950 1G would fit lengthwise- sent and e-mail to Sapphire a few days ago but no reply yet. Anybody has one at hand?

If I don't use the HDD "rack", do you have any suggestion of improving airflow in the GPU section by adding fans and/or drilling holes, or is this not really necessary?

Give me some nice suggestions and advice, and I will give you some nice pictures next week. :wink:

tim851

Post by tim851 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:07 am

Samriel wrote:Crucial RealSSD 128GB (or is Corsair F120 a better option?)
Don't think you'll notice any differences outside of benchmarks, so get whichever one is cheaper.

--
The lack of airflow is probably gonna be an issue. I don't know how well the side vents work. If you are willing and able to drill intake hole/s into the bottom, it could help. You could duct the GPU fan to the bottom intake, so that cool air is drawn from there and the hot air is then dispersed through the side vents. In theory that is.

Getting the Scythe Shuriken 2, which is reputed to be much better than its predecessor, could improve the cooling-to-noise ratio too.

There is a guy going by the nick 'alucasa' on hardforum.com, he has a Q11 with a Core i5-870, a GeForce GTX 460 and that Silverstone SFF PSU.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1 ... 1036710930

He reports 45c idle and 70c load (I guess for the CPU) and 90c load for the GPU. Later on in that thread he mentions that he figured out that mounting the PSU to face outwards (toward the side panel) was the better way.

You should contact him and ask about experiences and ideas. Always helps to learn off mistakes from others.

Samriel

Post by Samriel » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:54 pm

I seriously might consider drilling some holes in the bottom and either putting a 12cm fan or ducting from the went to the GPU fan(s). As for the Shuriken 2, it seems to fit but just barely with the motherboard, maybe a bit too close for my taste.

http://forums.vr-zone.com/hardware-depo ... ost9113297

Do you know of any reviews for the Shuriken 2? The Samuel 17 gives a few mm more space, and the fan cools part of the MB as well. It should cool better than stock, but that's about it. Considering this is a rather extreme scenario, I'd be willing to use Shuriken 2 if cooling was better.

tim851

Post by tim851 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:48 pm

I'm sorry, I made a mistake.

I didn't mean Shuriken 2, the CPU cooler, but Setsugen 2, which is a GPU cooler. SPCR has compared the Samuel to the Shuriken in their review. They favour the Shuriken, but I can see how in your case it is a little close for comfort.

But I really meant the Setsugen 2 in my remarks. The first iteration wasn't received favourably, but a couple of reviews around the web (though none on SPCR yet) have praised the successor. Without the hard disk cage down there, you have ample room to swap the stock fan of the Setsugen with a standard 120mm case fan, which will boost performance some more. And should you go with an nVidia card, you can control the fan speed easily through SpeedFan.

Samriel

Post by Samriel » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:30 pm

The Setsugen 2 seems interesting, but not sure if it will outperform some other non-reference coolers out there by any significant margin. I think I'll go with the Galaxy GTX 560 Ti GC, and then work it out from there. If it doesn't work out as it is, I'll probably start drilling and adding fans or swapping the GPU cooler.

tim851

Post by tim851 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:21 am

Good luck!

...and remember: Pics, or it didn't happen!

Samriel

Post by Samriel » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:13 pm

All the parts have arrived, but as I'm busy these days I'll be building over the weekend. As a preview a photo of the "goodies".

Case
Lian Li PC-Q11
Motherboard
Zotac H67 mini-ITX Wi-Fi
CPU
Intel i5 2500K
CPU Cooler
Coolermaster GeminII S
Memory
Corsair XMS3 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1333MHz
System Drive
Corsair F120
PSU
Silverstone 450W SFX
Graphics Card
Kuroto Shiko GTX 560 Ti (Japanese manufacturer, 100% same design as Galaxy GTX 560 Ti GC, just black colour)
Optical Drive
Pioneer BDR-206JBK
External Sound Unit
Creative USB Sound Blaster Digital Premium HD

More pictures over the weekend or beginning of next week. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Plekto

Post by Plekto » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:53 am

I went with the old standby for GPU cooling, an Accelero S1. Blowing some air across it is enough to keep it cool. Nearly no noise is a great thing. But these things to require a full depth case to install.

tim851

Post by tim851 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:13 am

Just as a crazy notion, not really meant as advice or anything, more like an FYI or so:

It looks like the Thermalright Shaman might fit in that case. The fan would obviously be flush against the bottom. So if you cut out a hole for it there, it would breathe fresh air directly. The hot air could then be vented through the side openings.

Sammy, if your build succeeds, you gonna get me in all kinds of trouble, as I will want one too. I've recently looked into the even smaller Q07. You're liken a siren, trying to lure me off the right path, man!

GaryJ

Post by GaryJ » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:35 am

Samriel, how did the build go?