Buzzing is driving me nuts!

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

falcon26

Buzzing is driving me nuts!

Post by falcon26 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:28 pm

Ok here's the story. Whenever I go into 3d mode to play say BC2, I get some nice buzzing noise from my system. So then I replaced my PSU with a new seasonic psu 750x gold. Buzzing still their. Then I replaced my video card, with 3 difference ones. A ati 6870, 6950 and a GTX560. Again the buzzing noise is still their. So then I change motherboards, from a Asus P67 Pro to a Msi P67. And again the buzzing is still their!! I then tried a different PSU and yet again the buzzing is still their. I also tried different power cords and outlets, nothing has gotten rid of the buzzing. I even changed my CPU heatsink that did nothing. The only thing I did not change was the CPU itself a Intel I7 2600K. Oh and I also disabled all the power saving stuff in the bios as well. My system is now out of its case and sitting on top of my desk and the buzzing is still their even without being in a case. I removed my sound card and it still buzzing while going into 3d mode. Could it be the CPU itself or maybe the P67 chipset???? I'm at a loss here...

tim851

Re: Buzzing is driving me nuts!

Post by tim851 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:44 pm

You have to figure out where the buzzing comes from. If it does come from your system and it sits on your desk, you should be able to pin-point it. Unplug all fans and drives and move your ear to every component there is. If you can't make it out, it might not be your PC altogether. It might just even be all in your head.

I have to say, it's not the smartest move to just randomly swap out components without finding out which one is making the noise first. If I go to the doctor with a belly-ache, he isn't just gonna remove my appendix hoping that will solve the problem.

Falkon

Post by Falkon » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:11 pm

You didn't mention eliminating/changing any case fans, hard drives, or your SSD. The first two could easily create a buzzing noise under demanding loads, whereas the third rarely makes any noise at all. Some people do notice a very high pitched (15KHz+) buzzing from certain SSD models, though.

wouterr5

Post by wouterr5 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:29 am

Checking what's causing the buzzing shouldn't be that hard? Use Furmark to stress your GPU, Prime95 to check your CPU, and use them combined - if the buzzing only occurs with CPU or GPU, it's the MB or the GPU, if it occurs with both and the buzzing is exactly the same, it probably is the PSU.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:10 am

some SSD's do make noises. My Corsair Nova 32 GB in my laptop makes the forementioned high pitched buzzing that annoys me even more than the laptop's stock harddrive!

From OCZ forum:

To expand on what ehidle said, the buzzing sound comes from a resonating copper coil in some voltage regulation island. Normally these are wound tightly or glued and should be silent. The sound becomes more audible when using the mouse (or touchpad/nipple for a laptop) because SpeedStep (C1E) will switch the CPU into higher gear and the load change will change the frequency the coil resonates at, therefore changing the pitch. Since this is done many times a second, the rapid changes of pitch will create a harmonic which makes it more noticable (buzzing becomes scratchy).

Switching off C1E means the load changes stop, so the coil resonates at a fixed frequency. That doesn't mean it stops resonating, just that if you're lucky it's at a frequency you are not sensitive to (but your dog/cat/pet bat might be).

It's better to fix the root cause though, since a resonating coil will eventually physically wear out (metal fatigue). If you can locate/access the coil it should be simple to fix, replacing it might involve soldering.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum ... s-accessed

honeymonster

Post by honeymonster » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:20 am

Have you tried turning off your monitor when you hear the buzzing?
My 24" TN Samsung has by far the most noticeable buzz of any of my components :cry:

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:22 pm

honeymonster wrote:Have you tried turning off your monitor when you hear the buzzing?
My 24" TN Samsung has by far the most noticeable buzz of any of my components :cry:
My monitor does that too, turning down the volume fixed it. The monitor's audio amplifier buzzes somewhere between 40 and 50 percent. Keeping it at 40 and turning up my computer's volume eliminates the buzz.

jamotide

Post by jamotide » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:33 am

Could also be your mouse, some logitech and other mice emit constant buzz noise. Put a towel over it and see if it stops.
Might still be your PSU, most of them have this problem, especially the x-series.